ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Any wi-fi problems with console in trailer??  (Read 23359 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Any wi-fi problems with console in trailer??
« on: September 12, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »

Tomorrow we are running sound at a fund raiser outside in a small parking lot.
We have done the same gig a few of times before. Venue provides stage, canopy and AC mains.
We do not do much outside work and unfortunately, the weather forecast looks like it might rain with a couple of thunderstorms and we explained to the organizers our concerns regarding the lack of protection to our equipment and told them that under the circumstances we would be calling it.
Three bands are playing and they have all voiced their concerns too.
The organizers really want to go ahead and have now said they will be providing sides and back to stage area and we and the bands have said we will be bringing tarps. 
A suggestion has been made to put the amp rack and console in our trailer for protection which we can place to the side of the stage. 
This would be great so that we would only have to worry about the FOH speakers. Everything else would be well inside the canopy.
I am assuming there will be no lightening and we are only talking about rain here.

Last year someone else ran the sound for this particular event and it rained hard. Apparently there was a river an inch deep the width of the stage running underneath it down flow as the parking lot is on a slope. They had placed cases under the stage and everything got soaked along with cabling -ouch...
We are always careful about things and put all our cases back in the trailer and we try to raise up our cables off the ground if we can.

I did not intend to use a snake so I was going to use the iPad and leave the QU16 and router at the stage. This has been successful in the past.
However, if I leave the console in the trailer with the back door open and put the router next to it maintaining a clear line of sight, will I get any more problems than I usually would with wifi reception??
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: Any wi-fi problems with console in trailer??
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 11:58:33 AM »

Tomorrow we are running sound at a fund raiser outside in a small parking lot.
We have done the same gig a few of times before. Venue provides stage, canopy and AC mains.
We do not do much outside work and unfortunately, the weather forecast looks like it might rain with a couple of thunderstorms and we explained to the organizers our concerns regarding the lack of protection to our equipment and told them that under the circumstances we would be calling it.
Three bands are playing and they have all voiced their concerns too.
The organizers really want to go ahead and have now said they will be providing sides and back to stage area and we and the bands have said we will be bringing tarps. 
A suggestion has been made to put the amp rack and console in our trailer for protection which we can place to the side of the stage. 
This would be great so that we would only have to worry about the FOH speakers. Everything else would be well inside the canopy.
I am assuming there will be no lightening and we are only talking about rain here.

Last year someone else ran the sound for this particular event and it rained hard. Apparently there was a river an inch deep the width of the stage running underneath it down flow as the parking lot is on a slope. They had placed cases under the stage and everything got soaked along with cabling -ouch...
We are always careful about things and put all our cases back in the trailer and we try to raise up our cables off the ground if we can.

I did not intend to use a snake so I was going to use the iPad and leave the QU16 and router at the stage. This has been successful in the past.
However, if I leave the console in the trailer with the back door open and put the router next to it maintaining a clear line of sight, will I get any more problems than I usually would with wifi reception??

I'd run the router outside the trailer - or - right at the door.  A tupperware container would be suitable to provide a bit of weather resistance.  In theory, WiFi is not completely reflected or absorbed by thin sheets of aluminum or plywood, but I'd give it every chance from as many angles as possible.  YMMV.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 12:00:22 PM »

Have you got enough cable to put the router on the roof of the trailer?  Wrap it up in a plastic bag and it should be o.k. Or put a plastic storage box over it.

Although with clear line of sight, that should be o.k. too.

Steve.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 12:32:34 PM »

Another option would be to do a RJ45 50 to 100 ft link and place the wifi in the tent with artists?

This will give you good rain protection and air flow to keep it from getting to hot.  Some do need
the air flow to keep cool and working.   

Move the antennae with a good cable to outside the trailer ??

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 12:42:24 PM »

I've done this, everything stayed in the trailer except mains (mains covered with plastic bags even under the canopy). and left the trailer ramp down. As stated, a good line of sight is best. I still did get network hangs when to far away, so stay close to the mains, 15' say, mix there, then walk around to listen, but go back in front to mix for good reception.

Hopefully you have the mix kinda dialed in with your band, or at least close.

Maybe a good thing, rain=small turnout, so more forgiving on an iffy setup.

Mike

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 01:05:53 PM »

Also would help when you park the trailer to point the open door end at the mixing area of interest. 

Consider the wind direction and blowing.  Open door and wind blowing in will be fatal also.
Plastic sheet as door ??  Gaff tape plastic sheet to side and top ?

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 01:41:08 PM »

It sounds like you have a good idea on the river and high water ??  keep that in mind when parking trailer or the vehicle will be stuck in the mudd also. 

Joe Jordan

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »

I've set up in a trailer with the router hanging up near the roof about 5' from the open door.
Everything worked fine, and this is just a cheap linksys router.
Joe

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 05:51:15 PM »

Thanks everyone…..I don't have what I need to get the router very far from the console right now so I'll go ahead and set it up in the trailer as close to the door as possible and as high as I can ….

I can't see people hanging around if it rains anyway….
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 06:08:57 PM »

I can't see people hanging around if it rains anyway….

In some serious form of denial, promoters/sponsors think they will.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 06:08:57 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.