ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX700 Series Equivalents  (Read 21970 times)

Spenser Hamilton

Re: JBL SRX700 Series Equivalents
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 07:05:43 PM »

That's what I currently have actually. 2 PRX615m's and 2 PRX618S-XLF'S. I was originally thinking of getting the new EV ETX gear, but I'm thinking I might as well make the upgrade substantial. I have heard the ETX-18sp and was very impressed. The top cabs didn't seem much better than my current prx tops.

How do the I-tech amps do with subs? I read some thread in here that they "suck" for subs and make the bass sound thin.

ETX would be a downgrade from SRX afaik.

I run iTechs and old Macrotechs on subs, no issues with the iTechs.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 07:06:21 PM »

That's what I currently have actually. 2 PRX615m's and 2 PRX618S-XLF'S. I was originally thinking of getting the new EV ETX gear, but I'm thinking I might as well make the upgrade substantial. I have heard the ETX-18sp and was very impressed. The top cabs didn't seem much better than my current prx tops.

How do the I-tech amps do with subs? I read some thread in here that they "suck" for subs and make the bass sound thin.
SRX728S with I-Tech 8000s. Pretty sweet combination. If they sound thin (well, other then the floor of the 728s to begin with) you're doing something wrong.

I would be happy with STX828S and IT9KHDs. Of course, getting some G28s would be pleasant as well.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 07:09:42 PM »

My ITech 6000's do a great job on my 728's/ TH 118's. Maybe you were thinking of the XTI line of amps?

Mario Pollio

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »

ETX would be a downgrade from SRX afaik.

I run iTechs and old Macrotechs on subs, no issues with the iTechs.

From the SRX, it would definitely be a downgrade. The ETX subs seem like an upgrade from the PRX line of speakers, but more of a lateral move when it comes to the tops.

SRX728S with I-Tech 8000s. Pretty sweet combination. If they sound thin (well, other then the floor of the 728s to begin with) you're doing something wrong.

I would be happy with STX828S and IT9KHDs. Of course, getting some G28s would be pleasant as well.

-Ray

I found the thread where they were said to sound thin on sub duty. It actually wasn't from these forums, it was from another forum I'm a part of. Post #4

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/838278-need-confirmation-about-crown-s-i-tech-series.html

Here's the post copy and pasted

"From the various pro sound engineers I know, the I-tech series are horrible for bass duties. They have a low dampening factor. The bass sounds really thin and weak. Go with something else, like a lab gruppen. There was another amp linked in a thread a while back that had like 12000watts in a 2 rackspace design, and it was a real 12000 watts. Bottom line:don't go with the I-tech."

Sounds like a load of crap to me, but figured I'd ask over here anyway. He lost me when he said they have a low damping factor.

Mario Pollio

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 07:23:22 PM »

My ITech 6000's do a great job on my 728's/ TH 118's. Maybe you were thinking of the XTI line of amps?

Those I definitely heard about them not performing that well for sub duty. I owned an XTi4000 about 6 or so years ago for a pair of dual 15 inch EV's and was pleased with it.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 07:27:42 PM »

There's definitely different tricks that can be used for making subs rock, but -- let's see, my stage at Seattle's PrideFest this year, we were running our same 6-728s with 1 IT8K and 2 IT6ks -- (my other two 8Ks were on FOH duty so I could run 5/VT88s/side) -- to say there was rolling waves of bass over the stage into the crowd would be an understatement. The promoter, DJs, the client-- all were very very happy. Several thousand people. (Although only maybe 1,000 were close enough to the stage to really feel the bass-- edm will do that. :( )
Kelcema Audio

Mario Pollio

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 08:38:03 PM »

There's definitely different tricks that can be used for making subs rock, but -- let's see, my stage at Seattle's PrideFest this year, we were running our same 6-728s with 1 IT8K and 2 IT6ks -- (my other two 8Ks were on FOH duty so I could run 5/VT88s/side) -- to say there was rolling waves of bass over the stage into the crowd would be an understatement. The promoter, DJs, the client-- all were very very happy. Several thousand people. (Although only maybe 1,000 were close enough to the stage to really feel the bass-- edm will do that. :( )

6 728's is no joke. 12 with 6 per side would have been awesome!

Wish I was there to hear that. I have no need for rig that size, but if I hit lotto, I would probably own something like that for the hell of it.

Right now, if I'm ever able to swing it, I'd like a pair of STX828S's and a pair of STX835's with the 835's running on a IT9KHD, and the subs running on a IT12kHD. The cost of the speakers isn't really what is making that hard, it's the cost of the amps. Last time I checked, a IT12KHD was about 10 grand!

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 08:51:04 PM »

Last time I checked, a IT12KHD was about 10 grand!
List. Smart shoppers can find it for much less. I mean, right now on eBay there's used ones for $3,575, and (presumably) new ones for $5,699. [Amusing: In the "purchase history" on the $5,699 listing, the last one they sold was July 2013... for $3,499. I'd be like "give it to me for that." Haha.]

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 09:04:44 PM »

List. Smart shoppers can find it for much less. I mean, right now on eBay there's used ones for $3,575, and (presumably) new ones for $5,699. [Amusing: In the "purchase history" on the $5,699 listing, the last one they sold was July 2013... for $3,499. I'd be like "give it to me for that." Haha.]

-Ray
I finished racking up 32 ITech 12000HD last week. Waiting on the next batch of 8 to arrive next week.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 09:24:02 PM »

I finished racking up 32 ITech 12000HD last week. Waiting on the next batch of 8 to arrive next week.
oooh those last 8 got diverted to my shop. Sorry 'bout your bad luck......... :-P
Kelcema Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 09:24:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.