ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX700 Series Equivalents  (Read 21720 times)

Mario Pollio

JBL SRX700 Series Equivalents
« on: September 09, 2014, 11:54:38 AM »

I know now the SRX700 series from JBL is discontinued and replaced with the STX800 series, which supposedly isn't as good as the SRX700 series was. I was wondering what other speakers out there are as good or better than the SRX700 series was for around the same price? The SRX722's seemed like fantastic speakers, especially with the compression driver with a 4 inch voice coil and 2 inch exit. The throw on those were probably fantastic. Everything coming out now seems to be in favor of being cheaper and lighter, with sound quality suffering as a result. Maybe not suffering that much, but it doesn't seem as high on the priority list.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: JBL SRX700 Series Equivalents
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 12:17:29 PM »

I know now the SRX700 series from JBL is discontinued and replaced with the STX800 series, which supposedly isn't as good as the SRX700 series was. I was wondering what other speakers out there are as good or better than the SRX700 series was for around the same price? The SRX722's seemed like fantastic speakers, especially with the compression driver with a 4 inch voice coil and 2 inch exit. The throw on those were probably fantastic. Everything coming out now seems to be in favor of being cheaper and lighter, with sound quality suffering as a result. Maybe not suffering that much, but it doesn't seem as high on the priority list.

The SRX700 series was discontinued because of the single-source nature of neodymium and the resulting monopoly price.

Reports on the STX800 series by participants on the PSW forums have been very good.  The STX are neither cheaper nor lighter than the SRX700 series.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 12:24:14 PM »

Yeah, the STX 800 are actually heavier and more expensive than the 700 series, but they are the closest thing to an "equivalent".

Mario Pollio

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 12:41:58 PM »

The SRX700 series was discontinued because of the single-source nature of neodymium and the resulting monopoly price.

Reports on the STX800 series by participants on the PSW forums have been very good.  The STX are neither cheaper nor lighter than the SRX700 series.

I know they aren't cheaper or lighter, but from what I've read, they use older drivers because of the shortage of neodymium. While they aren't cheaper or lighter, I've read that while they perform good, they don't perform quite as well as the SRX700 series did.

Yeah, the STX 800 are actually heavier and more expensive than the 700 series, but they are the closest thing to an "equivalent".

While being heavier and more expensive, they don't at least match the performance of the discontinued SRX speakers?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 01:21:18 PM »

I know they aren't cheaper or lighter, but from what I've read, they use older drivers because of the shortage of neodymium. While they aren't cheaper or lighter, I've read that while they perform good, they don't perform quite as well as the SRX700 series did.

While being heavier and more expensive, they don't at least match the performance of the discontinued SRX speakers?

There is a thread in the Product Reviews forum about the STX.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mario Pollio

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 03:35:43 PM »

Just read through some of the reviews. It sounds as though they are still fantastic speakers. The STX835's sound very appealing. It looks like they all for an amplifier that can put out at least 3,200 watts per channel on a 4 ohm load to get the most out of them. That's a lot of power. What amplifiers are best suited for this? I'm sure the Crown I-tech 9000HD would be a perfect match for a pair of these, but they are enormously expensive. What other amplifiers can put out that kind of power that would work well with these?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 03:59:53 PM »

Just read through some of the reviews. It sounds as though they are still fantastic speakers. The STX835's sound very appealing. It looks like they all for an amplifier that can put out at least 3,200 watts per channel on a 4 ohm load to get the most out of them. That's a lot of power. What amplifiers are best suited for this? I'm sure the Crown I-tech 9000HD would be a perfect match for a pair of these, but they are enormously expensive. What other amplifiers can put out that kind of power that would work well with these?

How loud do you need to go?  That determines how much power you'll need, plus whatever headroom margin you're comfortable with.

Mario Pollio

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »

How loud do you need to go?  That determines how much power you'll need, plus whatever headroom margin you're comfortable with.

Loud enough for school gyms and auditoriums for dances of up to 400+ kids. There are also instances where I'd be doing political functions where local politicians will be speaking to large crowds of people, many times outdoors and would like to be able to hear the speakers clearly in the back of the crowd. How many people exactly, I can't really say, but definitely a few hundred.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 06:23:30 PM »

Loud enough for school gyms and auditoriums for dances of up to 400+ kids. There are also instances where I'd be doing political functions where local politicians will be speaking to large crowds of people, many times outdoors and would like to be able to hear the speakers clearly in the back of the crowd. How many people exactly, I can't really say, but definitely a few hundred.
Heck, in a gym with the reverberant field and only 400 people, JBL's PRX gear would be fine :)
Seriously (okay, I think the PRX 718XLF cabinets kind of suck, but that's because I'm used to having six SRX 728s subs...)
I run my SRX system (4-725, 6-728s) from iT8K amps and do 2,000-3,000 people *outdoors* all the time.

Then again, if I were looking for a JBL SRX replacement these days, I think I would go with Danley instead. More money per cabinet, but far fewer cabinets. Think SM80 and TH115...
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Mario Pollio

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 06:54:02 PM »

Heck, in a gym with the reverberant field and only 400 people, JBL's PRX gear would be fine :)
Seriously (okay, I think the PRX 718XLF cabinets kind of suck, but that's because I'm used to having six SRX 728s subs...)
I run my SRX system (4-725, 6-728s) from iT8K amps and do 2,000-3,000 people *outdoors* all the time.

Then again, if I were looking for a JBL SRX replacement these days, I think I would go with Danley instead. More money per cabinet, but far fewer cabinets. Think SM80 and TH115...
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

That's what I currently have actually. 2 PRX615m's and 2 PRX618S-XLF'S. I was originally thinking of getting the new EV ETX gear, but I'm thinking I might as well make the upgrade substantial. I have heard the ETX-18sp and was very impressed. The top cabs didn't seem much better than my current prx tops.

How do the I-tech amps do with subs? I read some thread in here that they "suck" for subs and make the bass sound thin.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 06:54:02 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.