ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX700 Series Equivalents  (Read 17369 times)

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
Re: JBL SRX700 Series Equivalents
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 10:01:35 pm »

The SRX700 series was discontinued because of the single-source nature of neodymium and the resulting monopoly price.

Tim, I keep hearing this on this forum and I keep questioning it.  How do you explain the Peavey PR series which are neo and dirt cheap.  And all the Eminence (and other aftermarket) drivers that are still using neo.  And all the car audio drivers still using neo.  If so many other oem's are still using neo and competitive (or down right cheap) prices, why couldn't JBL do it?

And I did read the Popular Science article on the rare-earth elements scarcity a year or more ago, so I do know what you're referring to regarding neo.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:09:11 pm by Alex Rigodanzo »
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 10:27:26 pm »

I finished racking up 32 ITech 12000HD last week. Waiting on the next batch of 8 to arrive next week.

Arn't you glad the new HD's don't have "iTech smell"
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 10:29:36 pm »

Tim, I keep hearing this on this forum and I keep questioning it.  How do you explain the Peavey PR series which are neo and dirt cheap.  And all the Eminence (and other aftermarket) drivers that are still using neo.  And all the car audio drivers still using neo.  If so many other oem's are still using neo and competitive (or down right cheap) prices, why couldn't JBL do it?

And I did read the Popular Science article on the rare-earth elements scarcity a year or more ago, so I do know what you're referring to regarding neo.

That was JBL's stated reason.  You'd have to ask them if there was some other motivation.  I suspect JBL was concerned that if a new large scale user of neo came to the market, they'd be priced out.  Think high speed trains and electric cars...  JBL is still using neodymium magnet structures in certain lines (VerTec, Venue Precision).

It's not just that neo is scarce, but that it comes principally from a single, nationalistic source who can manipulate export regulations and tariffs and that it's a really nasty, dirty business to take from ore to product.  Green it ain't, and that makes it more expensive to extract and process in some of the other nations that have ore reserves.

Likely Harman was concerned about uncertainty in pricing and availability affecting their ability to manufacture their products and opted to go back to ceramic magnets and up their sonic game via other aspects of loudspeaker system design.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 10:30:04 pm »

Arn't you glad the new HD's don't have "iTech smell"

I did notice they were rather odor-free...
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 12:30:53 am »

I know now the SRX700 series from JBL is discontinued and replaced with the STX800 series, which supposedly isn't as good as the SRX700 series was. 

The SRX722's seemed like fantastic speakers, especially with the compression driver with a 4 inch voice coil and 2 inch exit. The throw on those were probably fantastic.

I run a fairly good sized SRX system, and I have had many opportunities to listen to the STX line of cabinets, enough so that I can make a good comparison between both lines. I also use 2242 drivers in a pair of subs that run side by side with SRX718s every day of the week. So let's set the record straight.

The drivers JBL is now using in the STX800 series cabinets are not new to the world of pro sound, or are they antiquated designs. The drivers being used are the equal to any driver being used by any manufacture of quality cabinets. The drivers are also used in other JBL pro level cabinets, VOT cabinets, etc., and have proven themselves to be reliable, powerful, and faithful reproducers of clear quality sound. There is also no equal to the STX835 in the SRX series of cabinets, and if I had to do without, or chose to sell all of my SRX725s tomorrow, the 835 is the cabinet I would replace them with. Incredible sound from those 835's, even in passive mode.

I don't know where you're hearing the STX line is not an equal to the SRX line, but whoever is telling you that couldn't be more wrong. I would imagine it would be the word of someone who has no experience with either series of cabinets as is usually the case. Do what you think is best, but at the STX or SRX level of cabinets there are few equals IMO.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mario Pollio

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 06:34:00 am »

List. Smart shoppers can find it for much less. I mean, right now on eBay there's used ones for $3,575, and (presumably) new ones for $5,699. [Amusing: In the "purchase history" on the $5,699 listing, the last one they sold was July 2013... for $3,499. I'd be like "give it to me for that." Haha.]

-Ray

That's a HUGE difference from list. Still expensive, but not outrageous like the list price.

I run a fairly good sized SRX system, and I have had many opportunities to listen to the STX line of cabinets, enough so that I can make a good comparison between both lines. I also use 2242 drivers in a pair of subs that run side by side with SRX718s every day of the week. So let's set the record straight.

The drivers JBL is now using in the STX800 series cabinets are not new to the world of pro sound, or are they antiquated designs. The drivers being used are the equal to any driver being used by any manufacture of quality cabinets. The drivers are also used in other JBL pro level cabinets, VOT cabinets, etc., and have proven themselves to be reliable, powerful, and faithful reproducers of clear quality sound. There is also no equal to the STX835 in the SRX series of cabinets, and if I had to do without, or chose to sell all of my SRX725s tomorrow, the 835 is the cabinet I would replace them with. Incredible sound from those 835's, even in passive mode.

I don't know where you're hearing the STX line is not an equal to the SRX line, but whoever is telling you that couldn't be more wrong. I would imagine it would be the word of someone who has no experience with either series of cabinets as is usually the case. Do what you think is best, but at the STX or SRX level of cabinets there are few equals IMO.

I was googling reviews for the STX speakers and remember reading that several times. Some reviews saying that the STX series uses old drivers which while good, weren't as good as the SRX drivers, and that the subs in the SRX line extended lower. It's good to hear from somebody who owns an SRX system and has heard both. I'd really like to snag a pair of 835's.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 07:41:56 am »

That's a HUGE difference from list. Still expensive, but not outrageous like the list price.
I'm a relatively small operator and I agree that $4000 - $5500 for an amp is a little hard to swallow, but it's part of the system.  The STX series has V5 presets for ITHD, and this is no small thing.  With matching amps, you get speaker tunings done by the manufacturer, complete with speaker protection.  The result is the best possible sound quality and longevity of your speaker investment.

I have purchased all of my ITHDs as B-stock, and that has helped with the sticker shock.

One last thought - I own all ITHD12Ks so I have matching units.  If it were me, I wouldn't bother with the ITHD9K - having the same model means if one fails, you can pull another unit and re-purpose without having to worry about different settings or capabilities.

Mario Pollio

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 08:17:48 am »

[quote author=TJ (Tom) Cornish link=topic=151392.msg1388242#msg1388242

One last thought - I own all ITHD12Ks so I have matching units.  If it were me, I wouldn't bother with the ITHD9K - having the same model means if one fails, you can pull another unit and re-purpose without having to worry about different settings or capabilities.
[/quote]

It's funny you say that, I was just thinking that. The "street" price isn't that different anyway. The 9k is about $5,200 and the 12k is about $5,600.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 09:05:31 am »

[quote author=TJ (Tom) Cornish link=topic=151392.msg1388242#msg1388242

It's funny you say that, I was just thinking that. The "street" price isn't that different anyway. The 9k is about $5,200 and the 12k is about $5,600.

In our case, all the JBL/Harman software for our rigs (VerTec) presume either IT12000HD or the IT 4x3500HD so it really didn't make sense to move down the line for the 10% savings.  It also means we can cross-rent (either way) easily.

The big price jump is with the 4x3500...

At any rate, power is obscenely cheap.  I remember back in the day when Peavey had all the "cover 3" advert pages in the magazines feature the CS800 and touting "99 cents per watt."  For a very long time Peavey owned the buck-per-watt market, nobody else got within 35 cents of them.  Today, Crown's flagship line is about 85 cents/watt at list price and includes very sophisticated BSS processing.  My how things have changed...

TJ points out the important aspect, though.  Using the "family" amplification, and processing designed by the manufacturer for the specific loudspeakers makes it all a "system".  Much like l'Acoustic or d&b or now Nexo/Yamaha.  Keeping things together as a system gives you access to meaningful manufacturer support, simplifies system configuration and setup and in general keeps things consistent.  They've done most of the heavy lifting for us.

I'll have some pics of the HD rack builds in a couple of weeks (have a week long festival next week) and probably post them in the Basement.  I'm "the shop guy" for this project and so far I'm fairly proud of how things are turning out.  Ultimately I'm racking up 52 HD's plus some spares.

One small bit of background - when we were purchasing the first VerTec rig we still had power amp options and I got great advice from Dirk Schubert (Schubert Systems in Hollywood) and Dave Shadoan (Sound Image) regarding the ITechs and VerTec and JBL (Oh my!).  Both were very generous with their time, patient with my inquiries, and I owe them another big Thank You for their assistance.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 09:07:32 am by Tim McCulloch »

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 10:54:32 am »

If you really want SRX700 series, buy them.  There are still brand new in the box 728 subs available in several places (including feeBay).  Other members on here have mentioned knowing where new 722's are as well.  Used can be hard to find, but they are out there.  I recently purchased a used pair of 722's.  We had been using SR4731's.  They are stupidly huge and heavy compared to the 722.  The size and weight savings with the 722's is a godsend to a bunch of middle aged guys many with physical issues.  We're also now using my PLX amps from my dj rig for indoor shows rather than the 1850hd's they had (4 in a heavy wood rack!).
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 10:54:32 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.