ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Church install advice  (Read 4722 times)

Daniel Liu

Church install advice
« on: September 08, 2014, 08:33:35 PM »

I'm trying to decide between two options for a sound upgrade and am needing some help from people who may have heard the these in action. All other things being equal, what would you choose for house speakers, EV-EVH1152s with a JBL ASB6128 sub....or Nexo PS10-R2s with a RS18 sub? Thanks ahead of time.

Thomas Lamb

Re: Church install advice
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 08:35:19 PM »

I'm trying to decide between two options for a sound upgrade and am needing some help from people who may have heard the these in action. All other things being equal, what would you choose for house speakers, EV-EVH1152s with a JBL ASB6128 sub....or Nexo PS10-R2s with a RS18 sub? Thanks ahead of time.

Apples, oranges, bananas. Is liuey your real full name?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:37:52 PM by Thomas Lamb »
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 08:42:25 PM »

I'm trying to decide between two options

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Robert Healey

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:17:57 AM »

If those are your two choices, you can't consider them equal. The EVH-1152 is a large, 150lb horn loaded speaker with many choices for the pattern. In addition, it holds its pattern down to 500Hz, making it a good choice for many installation situations where portability isn't an issue. If you have a poor acoustic environment, it is a good choice due to the superior pattern control - you will have less sound hitting the walls.

The Nexo PS10 sounds very good, but doesn't have a very large horn and therefore isn't very directional in the lower frequencies. It comes in one pattern with an asymmetric horn. Will that fit your room? We can't tell on the internet. If it does fit and your room has a low reverberation time and sound absorption on the walls, it may work, too.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:24:19 PM by Robert Healey »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 03:09:47 PM »

Why just 2 choices? 

It really depends on what the job needs in terms of coverage area-SPL-freq response etc.

Without knowing those things-there is no way to say what would be best from the limited choices.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Daniel Liu

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 04:26:46 PM »

Why just 2 choices? 

It really depends on what the job needs in terms of coverage area-SPL-freq response etc.

Without knowing those things-there is no way to say what would be best from the limited choices.

Those are 2 separate proposals from 2 different companies. Its a traditional church space that sits around 400 people. The speakers need to be able to handle rock music with a full band. Does that help?

Daniel Liu

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 04:28:31 PM »

If those are your two choices, you can't consider them equal. The EVH-1152 is a large, 150lb horn loaded speaker with many choices for the pattern. In addition, it holds its pattern down to 500Hz, making it a good choice for many installation situations where portability isn't an issue. If you have a poor acoustic environment, it is a good choice due to the superior pattern control - you will have less sound hitting the walls.

The Nexo PS10 sounds very good, but doesn't have a very large horn and therefore isn't very directional in the lower frequencies. It comes in one pattern with an asymmetric horn. Will that fit your room? We can't tell on the internet. If it does fit and your room has a low reverberation time and sound absorption on the walls, it may work, too.

Its in a church building that holds about 400 people. Right now the room acoustics are terrible, but they are being addressed as a part of these proposals as well.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 08:13:09 PM »

Those are 2 separate proposals from 2 different companies. Its a traditional church space that sits around 400 people. The speakers need to be able to handle rock music with a full band. Does that help?
What is the layout-dimension wise?  Is it wide or deep or square?

How loud is a "rock band"?  I say this because to some people-when they bring out the acoustic guitar it is considered "rock".  To others if the kick drum is not pounding you in the chest it is not loud enough.

Are we talking 85dB or 105dB  HUGE difference.  And yes-both levels are considered "contemporary" Church levels.  And is that A or C weighted-fast or slow.

If you choose the extremes- you are talking about difference of 50dB which is only a factor of 100,000.  Just a little bit of a difference in the wallet there.

DETAILS are important-or else you will just get uninformed opinions that could mean little to the actual customer.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 08:15:01 PM »

BTW it is not considered "good form" to post in different parts of the forum.  What you end up with is different discussion about the same thing-so the confusion just gets worse

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Daniel Liu

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 05:37:51 AM »

What is the layout-dimension wise?  Is it wide or deep or square?

How loud is a "rock band"?  I say this because to some people-when they bring out the acoustic guitar it is considered "rock".  To others if the kick drum is not pounding you in the chest it is not loud enough.

Are we talking 85dB or 105dB  HUGE difference.  And yes-both levels are considered "contemporary" Church levels.  And is that A or C weighted-fast or slow.

If you choose the extremes- you are talking about difference of 50dB which is only a factor of 100,000.  Just a little bit of a difference in the wallet there.

DETAILS are important-or else you will just get uninformed opinions that could mean little to the actual customer.

Sorry for the confusion. its my first time posting on this forum and wasn't sure where to post.

The room is 95 feet across and 43 feet from the front of the stage to the back wall. We are currently running our services at around 93dB, A weighted, but thats with 25 yr old equipment and a very reverberant room. We dont necessarily need something that is going to shake the foundations, but i'd like something that can handle the full spectrum of sound we would be putting through it. Currently we have drums, keys, bass, 2 acoustics, and an electric guitar. We also are going to be playing with tracks, so its going to be quite a lot of sound coming out.

I want to know which, if any, of these proposals will be best suited for our space. I realize the speakers are just a small part of it, but I would say everything else is about equal otherwise.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 05:37:51 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.