ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Your experiences with rechargable batteries in wireless units  (Read 9213 times)

Justin Staszewski

Your experiences with rechargable batteries in wireless units
« on: September 07, 2014, 11:36:07 PM »

Well fellas, I've tried to do some research on this subject and found mixed results.  Last thread on this subject here was from 2010, so I'm hoping there is some new technology or possibly someone who's found a solid option for rechargeable 9v batteries as they seem to have mostly figured out how to make a relatively reliable AA.  I'm burning through hundreds of dollars a month in 9v Procells in Shure in ear units and ULX series microphones.  Anyone found a particularly reliable solution for 9v applications?

Justin

Cailen Waddell

Re: Your experiences with rechargable batteries in wireless units
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 12:29:51 AM »

I know one of the gentlemen who was A1 on the wicked tour for a while. My understanding is this article is still how they do it, with good success. But they use AA not 9v so I'm not sure how the technology translates.  http://www.broadwaygreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Rechargeable-batteries.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 12:30:47 AM »

Somewhere I have a link to the website they purchase from... I'll look tomorrow. 

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 12:30:50 AM »

Charge your client for the batteries. The rechargeable ones will fail and give inaccurate reads on the battery meters.

My $0.02

Michael

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 09:55:14 AM »

I've also never had any luck with 9V rechargables. As I understand they will only recharge to about 7.5 volts. Will work for awhile....

I just charge the client. Or actually just include it in my fee...

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 10:27:40 AM »

Well fellas, I've tried to do some research on this subject and found mixed results.  Last thread on this subject here was from 2010, so I'm hoping there is some new technology or possibly someone who's found a solid option for rechargeable 9v batteries as they seem to have mostly figured out how to make a relatively reliable AA.  I'm burning through hundreds of dollars a month in 9v Procells in Shure in ear units and ULX series microphones.  Anyone found a particularly reliable solution for 9v applications?

Justin

Hi Justin,
The only 9V rechargeable that I used (when I was using 9V batteries) that had sufficient mAh after charging was the iPower. The older versions I had charged to 500mAh. The newer ones charge to 520mAh. They are expensive, and over the course of using them for three years I had a number of them fail, but I did realize savings. I've seen 4 iPower 500mAh batteries and an iPower 4-port charger for between $99.99(Battery Junction) and $106.50(Full Compass.) The newer 520mAh ones are more expensive ($29.95 each on Amazon.) I did see a very inexpensive EBL battery that claims to be 600mAh on Amazon. At $29.95 for 4 batteries and a charger that would be the way to go if they last and really are 600mAh.
Best regards,
Bob Charest

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 01:13:59 PM »

I've used four PowerEx 9.6 Vdc 260 mAh rechargeables in three X2 transmitters and one PSM200.  They'd last about a year (about 90 shows) before they'd start failing.  If I had a way to give them an equalizing charge then it's possible they could have been recovered.  The only way I could get them to last through an entire night (4 hour show) was to turn off the transmitters during break.  I did this for about 5 years.

Because the PowerEx couldn't get me through a show without turning them off during break, I switched over to the iPower 520 mAh batteries.  The voltage isn't as high, but the capacity is higher.  I've been using the same four iPowers for 17 months with no electrical problems.  They last an entire night which is great if we forget to turn off the transmitters over break.  I've a feeling these will fail mechanically (connections breaking) before they fail electrically.  I'm much happier with the iPowers compared to the PowerEx.

I've had no problem with the fit of either the PowerEx or the iPower batteries in the above mentioned transmitters.  Sometimes the serial number sticker on the iPower folds over causing the battery to get stuck, but it can still be pried out easily.

I recently switched out two X2 transmitters to TBP12's.  These take AA batteries.  I just (today) received some ENELOOP 2000 mAh batteries that I plan on using in these transmitters along with a XD-V70 mic.  I'm eager to see how these perform.

Edit:
I tried the ENELOOP batteries in two TBP12's and two XD-V70 mics.  I set one each on high power and the other two on Power Save.  All were still going strong after 6.5 hours straight.  There were no problems with fit.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:42:55 AM by Rich Grisier »

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 04:58:55 PM »

I've also never had any luck with 9V rechargables. As I understand they will only recharge to about 7.5 volts. Will work for awhile....

How many cells? Nominal voltage for a NiMH or NiCd cell is about 1.2 V. At one time, "9 V" rechargeables had 6 cells (7.2 v) but these days, 7-cell (8.4 V) or even 8-cell (9.6 V) NiMH are widely available.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Tracy Garner

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 05:36:58 PM »

Justin

I bought some Utilitech (Lowe's) alkaline batteries and without a doubt these are the best I've ever used on my 9V Shure wireless. I would put these against the procell anyday and would love to hear feedback from anyone else that has tried them.

George Dougherty

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 06:12:24 PM »

Justin

Due to the smaller multi-cell design, 9V can't really be quick charged.  Modern higher mAh low discharge AA's do quite well, but 9V continue to be a bit of a PITA.  For any of them a good smart charger is the way to go.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 06:12:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.