ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Studio Live crashing? Freeze-no output  (Read 17321 times)

kendallhadden

• Kindred Spirit Ministry
Re: Studio Live crashing? Freeze-no output
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »

I had that same problems with my SL.  I ended up sending it back to Presonus for repair.  That's been a few years ago, but I recall it had something to do with my scene being corrupted.  Try to recall another scene and start from scratch with your setup.  Don't try to recall your last scene.
kwh

Sean Lehman

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 03:20:53 PM »

So you're saying the Presonus is very sensitive with power and can shut down like this?  No other equipment exposed failure issues.

The metering on the (unidentified model) Furman cannot possibly show momentary voltage fluctuations, so you cannot assume the voltage was constant...unless the Furman unit was an AR1215 or the equivalent.

Likewise, without tracing down the building circuits, you cannot assume that you were not sharing power with something else.  For effective analysis, you need to be certain and NEVER assume.  If your trouble-shooting is built on assumptions instead of facts, you might as well assume the problem resulted from a shorted mic cable or faulty DI. You'd likely be wrong either way.

In most cases, problems such as this start with the power.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 03:28:35 PM »

So you're saying the Presonus is very sensitive with power and can shut down like this?  No other equipment exposed failure issues.

Possibly...very possibly.

But since you know literally nothing about the actual behavior of the power available, you can never be sure.

I believe it should be SOP to use a line voltage regulator at the least or an in-line UPS for all critical FOH gear.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Sean Lehman

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 03:29:57 PM »

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but are those Yamaha DSR cabs in the pic? If so, how do they sound? I'm contemplating those or JBL PRX.

Hi Thomas, I honestly haven't used them all that much.  I think it's a nice box and based on budget, spec and reviews, that is why i chose them over the kw series, prx, and ev models.  The room that was in was very tough and reverberant...all hardwood and high ceiling with seating/tables underneath a 2nd level.  Actually sounded much better in the 2nd level there.  If I had JBL VRX which I'm used to working with, it likely would have been better with a box that could put out better coverage.     

Sean Lehman

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 03:31:46 PM »

Yeah - search the forum history for similar issues - you will find plenty.  I had two SL16.4.2 board for 3 years and went through a variety of failure modes.  Both mine ultimately went back to the factory for repair.  Here is what I would do to test it:

1)  reflash the firmware and use the option to remove all saved presets
2) simplify the setup - no firewire, no saved presets
3) make sure your power is solid and/or use a UPS
4) re-create your saved presets and programs from scratch - do not transfer from PC as they supposedly can get corrupted
5) Test it as much as you can using as many inputs as possible, use fat channel as much as possible, add efx as much as possible,  use the BNC lamp.

If it is problem free then march forth.  If you have any problems then send it in to the factory for repair (used to be flat fee of $250 and they often will replace faders, power supply, and efx section).  If you do have any problems they will be extremely hard to fully characterize,  will not be possible for you to repair yourself, and will undermine your confidence in the board.

thanks Mike!

Sean Lehman

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 03:32:54 PM »

I had that same problems with my SL.  I ended up sending it back to Presonus for repair.  That's been a few years ago, but I recall it had something to do with my scene being corrupted.  Try to recall another scene and start from scratch with your setup.  Don't try to recall your last scene.
kwh

Will give it a go. thanks!

Joe Jordan

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 09:28:16 PM »

I had a similar issue with a SL 24.4.2, turned out that if my laptop went to sleep the board would stop passing audio for a several seconds and pop when it came back on. Set the laptop to never sleep when on ac power and always plug it in and the problem was solved.

Adam Cooke

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 12:03:07 AM »

I ran sound for a wedding earlier today using a 16.4.2.  I heard... boom... about a half hour into bands set.  As if I switched the console off basically. The meters were frozen and no buttons worked. So I recycled power to the console and back up and running...only to have it happen two more times; twice in the end set!  Then it was fine for about an hour and a half use after.  So embarrassing.
 What's going on here?...voltage was fine and generate is up to date. I noticed each time it froze it looked like it did the same exact indications displaying on the meters.  I was making no adjustments when this malfunction occurred.

I had similar issues with a 16.4.2 (non AI) several times. Once it happened the first time, it was sensitive to vibration... when troubleshooting (not during a show) I could sometimes cause it by a solid whack on the board. Firewire was not connected at the time.
There'd be a loud pop, then no audio and the board locked up. Cycling power would temporarily fix it, but the problem would reoccur quickly every time it was turned on (within a few minutes usually). The first time this happened, it was under warranty, but the venue really didn't want to send it back and wait a long time for repairs since we had shows happening and didn't have an equivalent spare readily available. Presonus said it wasn't a known problem and that the only option was to return it to them for repair. I ended up removing the right side panel of the board and reseating every ribbon cable and molex I could reach, which fixed the problem for many months.

It did eventually happen again. The last time, there was more time before the next show (and the board was no longer under warranty) so I disassembled the board more and looked for cracked solder joints in the connections between the power supply and digital boards. I didn't find any obvious faults, but I resoldered the pins and also cleaned the connections with contact cleaner and the board has been working fine since then. FYI, it's not the easiest board to take apart. Reattaching the side panel is tricky because the whole board flexes and shifts so the screw holes don't easily line back up.

I'm expecting the problem to return again but I hope it doesn't. It's been ok for over a year.

Seems like ribbon cable and molex connections are a bit prone to this sort of thing. My old Digidesign Digi002R and all of my Behringer DCX2496 have had similar problems.

Good luck!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:11:31 PM by Adam Cooke »

Sean Lehman

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 01:07:20 AM »

I had similar issues with a 16.4.2 (non AI) several times. Once it happened the first time, it was sensitive to vibration... when troubleshooting (not during a show) I could sometimes cause it by a solid whack on the board. Firewire was not connected at the time.
There'd be a loud pop, then no audio and the board locked up. Cycling power would temporarily fix it, but the problem would reoccur quickly every time it was turned on (within a few minutes usually). The first time this happened, it was under warranty, but the venue really didn't want to send it back and wait a long time for repairs since we had shows happening and didn't have an equivalent spare readily available. Presonus said it wasn't a known problem and that the only option was to return it to them and wait a long time for a repair. I ended up removing the right side panel of the board and reseating every ribbon cable and molex I could reach, which fixed the problem for many months.

It did eventually happen again. The last time, there was more time before the next show (and the board was no longer under warranty) so I disassembled the board more and looked for cracked solder joints in the connections between the power supply and digital boards. I didn't find any obvious faults, but I resoldered the pins and also cleaned the connections with contact cleaner and the board has been working fine since then. FYI, it's not the easiest board to take apart. Reattaching the side panel is tricky because the whole board flexes and shifts so the screw holes don't easily line back up.

I'm expecting the problem to return again but I hope it doesn't. It's been ok for over a year.

Seems like ribbon cable and molex connections are a bit prone to this sort of thing. My old Digidesign Digi002R and all of my Behringer DCX2496 have had similar problems.

Good luck!!
Eeekk...yes you're describing the situation I went through similarly.  I will have to do some tapping and such to see if that triggers anything.

Omnitial.com

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 01:54:37 AM »

My experience with the 16.4.2 was that it seemed to be very unreliable at random times.  The symptom mine had was the entire board would mute for a few moments randomly.  The board didn't indicate that anything was wrong, but the sound would come back without rebooting.

Didn't happen every show, and I couldn't pin it down to bad power. Shows that I knew had questionable power didn't seem to have the problems.  The best guess I had was a possible static discharge, but I could never prove it.  Ended up selling the unit to a church and they haven't had any problems with it.  The 16.0.2 I got to replace the 16.4.2 never had a problem for me.  Now it lives in a bar getting beat up on a regular basis without a hiccup.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 01:54:37 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.