ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Voltage issue  (Read 9128 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Voltage issue
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 08:42:51 PM »

The nights the other bands have played, there could have been different loading of the electrical service and less voltage swing.  A lack of other complaints could also mean the other bands knew that mentioning it would get no response.

Alternatively, the other bands are idiots and didn't have any problem because they didn't even know enough to look........

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 09:04:39 PM »

Alternatively, the other bands are idiots and didn't have any problem because they didn't even know enough to look........

-Ray
The way I understand a floating neutral problem is sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you don't. If folks happen to plug in in a  way that keeps both legs +/- 10v, no one is the wiser.  But that can change mid-set when something in the kitchen or an air conditioner kicks in or out. 
frank

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 09:30:12 PM »

The way I understand a floating neutral problem is sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you don't. If folks happen to plug in in a  way that keeps both legs +/- 10v, no one is the wiser.  But that can change mid-set when something in the kitchen or an air conditioner kicks in or out. 
frank

You'll always remember your first open neutral.  ;D  That's because you'll be paying for the repairs for a  LONG time. Seriously, I've seen entire back-lines taken out when the voltage climbed to 180 volts.

A slightly different cause can be from an undersized neutral in a club that was previously wired for 3-phase industrial power. Many times the POCO would use a smaller neutral to save copper since 3-phase motors don't produce any neutral currents. But in a club with a lot of single-phase loads such as lighting, I've been able to pull the neutral around by 10 or 20 volts just by changing the lighting load on the other phase. If that's indeed the case, then it requires more than tightening a few loose screws, it will need an upgrade by the POCO. You can get an electrician to check for this neutral problem by opening the main service panel and inspecting the incoming wire gauges to make sure they're all sized the same. Don't do this yourself unless you're authorized by the club owner and licensed to open up the panel. There will be live wires inside that also have arc-flash current capabilities. You need to be really careful with this stuff.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »

You'll always remember your first open neutral.  ;D  That's because you'll be paying for the repairs for a  LONG time. Seriously, I've seen entire back-lines taken out when the voltage climbed to 180 volts.

A slightly different cause can be from an undersized neutral in a club that was previously wired for 3-phase industrial power. Many times the POCO would use a smaller neutral to save copper since 3-phase motors don't produce any neutral currents. But in a club with a lot of single-phase loads such as lighting, I've been able to pull the neutral around by 10 or 20 volts just by changing the lighting load on the other phase. If that's indeed the case, then it requires more than tightening a few loose screws, it will need an upgrade by the POCO. You can get an electrician to check for this neutral problem by opening the main service panel and inspecting the incoming wire gauges to make sure they're all sized the same. Don't do this yourself unless you're authorized by the club owner and licensed to open up the panel. There will be live wires inside that also have arc-flash current capabilities. You need to be really careful with this stuff.

Me no touchy  ;D

This is not a very large place. I believe it was a convenience store previously.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 09:55:00 PM by Jamin Lynch »

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 10:36:35 PM »

Then Mike's suggestion of an undersize neutral might be very possible.  A high percentage of a convenience store's power is refrigeration and commercial refrigeration is often 3 phase, their single phase loads would be relatively light. If it is a small place, a competent electrician should be able to find the problem (and fix it, if it is just loose/corroded) in an hour or 2 at the most-that would be far less costly than replacing gear.

Perhaps if everything is running on universal power supplies it might be ok-but depending the relative locations of the "problem" and the ground/neutral bond it could be a serious safety issue as well.
Steve Swaffer

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 10:53:58 PM »

Me no touchy  ;D

This is not a very large place. I believe it was a convenience store previously.

I'm liking Mikes undersized neutral hypothesis, especially with Steve's comments added in.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 09:57:58 PM »

Or a licensed electrician.  Leave the Kryptonite at home, just in case.
Make that a competent licensed electrician. First time I ran into a floating neutral it had burned up a fuse panel.  I had to explain to the kid they sent out how a burned panel could make some lights glow brighter!  It was a four-plex apartment building and the original install had a #14 wire running threw all 4 panels! :o
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 01:55:48 AM »

If we can't get it fixed, would a voltage regulator do any good? Is there potential for equipment damage or injury?

There is potential for equipment damage. Too high of voltage could case internal arcing or damage to wiring or circuit traces. That in turn could lead to a hot skin condition on equipment. Personnel could receive an electrical shock. (OK, so this is worst-case scenario.)

If you can't get it fixed, you could argue breach of contract -- if your contract specifies electrical requirements. A rider might include something to the effect of "band may require electrical systems to be tested and inspected prior to connection by a licensed electrician at the venue's expense. Any deficiencies shall be corrected at venue's expense prior to connection."
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 05:11:35 AM »

Tell 'em to fix it or find someone else.   Hell, call the fire marshall/building inspector.
Just my opinion...
frank
exactly

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »

I'm liking Mikes undersized neutral hypothesis, especially with Steve's comments added in.

Any time you see a 3-phase industrial service panel that's been re-purposed for single-phase lighting and amplifier loads, that's the time to be suspicious that the neutral might be sized too small. The POCOs used to do this all the time and it's caught me unawares a few times.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.