ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Voltage issue  (Read 9129 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Voltage issue
« on: September 05, 2014, 06:27:49 PM »

I was helping a band at a local club when their Furman power conditioner suddenly shut down. The display showed "OL" overload. I unplugged everything and metered the outlet. 139 volts. Another outlet metered 109 volts. We ended up finding enough outlets that all metered 109 volts and everything went OK.

I went around and metered a few others and found most were 109 volts but 2 were 139. What could be the problem?

Thanks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Voltage issue
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 06:50:25 PM »

I was helping a band at a local club when their Furman power conditioner suddenly shut down. The display showed "OL" overload. I unplugged everything and metered the outlet. 139 volts. Another outlet metered 109 volts. We ended up finding enough outlets that all metered 109 volts and everything went OK.

I went around and metered a few others and found most were 109 volts but 2 were 139. What could be the problem?

Thanks

Floating neutral.  They need an electrician, pronto.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 06:57:49 PM »

Floating neutral.  They need an electrician, pronto.

OK.

Just for my own information, what specifically would the electrician do to correct a floating neutral?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 07:03:24 PM »

OK.

Just for my own information, what specifically would the electrician do to correct a floating neutral?

That's a trade secret.  If I tell you.....

Seriously, it means that somewhere between the PoCo's transformer and the outlets, the neutral connection is loose, corroded, or otherwise not maintaining it's bond to the grounding electrode network.  In a typical split (single) phase system with a bad neutral, whichever leg has the higher load will have lower voltage.  The voltage can swing back and forth as loads come on line or go off line.

If you found this at multiple outlets my guess is that the problem is in the bar's breaker box, at the meter base, or possibly upstream at the PoCo transformer.  Are there other adjacent businesses and are they reporting problems?  If no probs, I'd say its in the bar's box or meter base.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:12:39 PM »

That's a trade secret.  If I tell you.....

Seriously, it means that somewhere between the PoCo's transformer and the outlets, the neutral connection is loose, corroded, or otherwise not maintaining it's bond to the grounding electrode network.  In a typical split (single) phase system with a bad neutral, whichever leg has the higher load will have lower voltage.  The voltage can swing back and forth as loads come on line or go off line.

If you found this at multiple outlets my guess is that the problem is in the bar's breaker box, at the meter base, or possibly upstream at the PoCo transformer.  Are there other adjacent businesses and are they reporting problems?  If no probs, I'd say its in the bar's box or meter base.

Got it.

Sounds like a job for superman

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 07:18:32 PM »

Got it.

Sounds like a job for superman

Or a licensed electrician.  Leave the Kryptonite at home, just in case.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 07:23:23 PM »

Or a licensed electrician.  Leave the Kryptonite at home, just in case.

We mentioned the issues we were having that night. We got the typical I don't care owner response. "None of the other bands have a problem."

If we can't get it fixed, would a voltage regulator do any good? Is there potential for equipment damage or injury?

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 07:47:17 PM »

The last floating neutral I dealt with was reading something like 60 volts on one side and 180  on the other and since the ground wasn't done correctly either, the furnace and appliances were showing hot with a NCVD.  As Tim pointed out the voltage can swing and if it is a loose or corroded connection can you guarantee the connection just won't? completely open up?

IMO, if you use it again, only take along gear you consider disposable, but that's just me.
Steve Swaffer

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 07:53:35 PM »

Tell 'em to fix it or find someone else.   Hell, call the fire marshall/building inspector.
Just my opinion...
frank

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 08:23:41 PM »

We mentioned the issues we were having that night. We got the typical I don't care owner response. "None of the other bands have a problem."

If we can't get it fixed, would a voltage regulator do any good? Is there potential for equipment damage or injury?

The nights the other bands have played, there could have been different loading of the electrical service and less voltage swing.  A lack of other complaints could also mean the other bands knew that mentioning it would get no response.

When his frozen drink machine quits or the ice machine stops making ice, enjoy the schadenfreude.

And yes, Virginia, there is an Electro-Claus.  He's off killing some VooDoo Labs pedal power box right now... or worse to anything without "universal PSU."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 08:23:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.