ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 120 AC Gen. DC. Grounds, ETC 1947 Kohler  (Read 2599 times)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
120 AC Gen. DC. Grounds, ETC 1947 Kohler
« on: September 05, 2014, 02:32:15 PM »

Every summer I show a 1947 Kohler light plant with about 40 different lights at a number of antique engine shows.

Here are the facts.
1200 watts rating at 120 VAC. dry weight is 500 lb.

Starts and stops on demand.  It automatically senses a load and chokes the carb, starts the engine, senses it has reached 120 VAC (shut off if it can't) transfers power to the load and senses when the load is removed and shuts down.

It was designed to be the only power for a home or farm.  The design is from 1928

It constants a 24 volt DC system (Grounded to the case and hard wired to the 120 AC neutral, and the 120 VAC system.  The system cannot be isolated from the frame.

When the light plant (generator) is off, a sens relay is in series with all the installed wiring.  (Lights and outlets in a house, or in my case mounted on a trailer.  When a load is applied the sens relay pulls in and starts the process.

All functions are handled with 5 relays.

I have been showing it for about 30 years.  it started with one switch and 4 bulbs. The display now covers 24 sq ft of plywood and I am redoing it for next season.

It is safe. No one including me has ever received a shock.  No questions, just thought someone would get a kick out of it.

Here is a related web site.  http://www.oldengine.org/members/frank/

When a load
Not to Code

ProSoundWeb Community

120 AC Gen. DC. Grounds, ETC 1947 Kohler
« on: September 05, 2014, 02:32:15 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.