ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meyer MM-4XPs soffit mounted in a ceiling?  (Read 5499 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Meyer MM-4XPs soffit mounted in a ceiling?
« on: September 03, 2014, 11:05:34 PM »

Has anyone ever installed the Meyer MM-4XP miniature speakers in a ceiling?

I hate to use the term "soffit mount" because I probably won't be able to build up the surrounding mass and acoustic insulation required for a true soffit mount; but that's the idea (at least visually) that I'm looking for.

The room is about 82' long, by 42' wide, with a 16' high ceiling (above this point is mechanical, wiring, HVAC etc...). The long walls are glass, floor to ceiling. The short walls, front and back are architectural rock/fire place. The floor is stone or tile. The ceiling may end up having some sort of acoustic absorption traits..maybe hard wood slats backed by acoustic insulation somewhat reminiscent of slot resonators found in recording studios.

The room will be a high end corporate retreat/meeting room; used for presentations, meetings, lectures, etc... No rock bands or theatrical performances, but the ceiling mounted speakers will also be tied to a large projector and screen that may be playing movies of some sort or another. Currently planning to have about 47 of the MM-4XPs installed in this one room (there are two smaller rooms with similar constructions that will have fewer speakers).

I usually see the MM-4XPs installed with their included brackets protruding from the walls or ceiling. Wondering if anyone has installed them in a flush mount configuration? Would there be any issues with heat due due to the large heat-sinks on the back? Any other issues that would prevent this from working?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Robert Healey

Re: Meyer MM-4XPs soffit mounted in a ceiling?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 11:45:44 PM »

Why not use a high end ceiling speaker? Tannoy makes some nice sounding ones. With a speaker designed for flush mounting, you don't need a custom mount/bracket.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 01:31:12 AM »

Why not use a high end ceiling speaker?

Because...I'm specing all Meyer gear for this job....because Meyer... ;)
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 07:44:38 AM »

Because...I'm specing all Meyer gear for this job....because Meyer... ;)
Whether or not it is right for the job???????????

There are many regular ceiling speakers that are designed for that job and work well.

The sayin "the wrong tool-----" comes to mind.

Not that it can't be done-but is it the best thing for the customer?

Is it because YOU want to use a particular product-or it is best for the CLIENT- (who is paying you) and correct for the job at hand?

There should be a good reason that a particular product is chosen for a job-the brand name is not one of those.    It should be chosen on the merits of the product.

But I guess that only matters if you have the customers best interest at heart-not some "ego wanting to be stroked".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Alex Donkle

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 06:32:36 PM »

I second Ivan. There's no reason to use 100% meyer if they're not the best speaker for the job.

Tannoy CMS603DC or CMS803DC would both sound perfectly fine next to Meyer MM-4's, and are designed to be flush-mounted.
Consultant

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 11:53:25 AM »

I hate to use the term "soffit mount" because I probably won't be able to build up the surrounding mass and acoustic insulation required for a true soffit mount; but that's the idea (at least visually) that I'm looking for.

The room is about 82' long, by 42' wide, with a 16' high ceiling (above this point is mechanical, wiring, HVAC etc...). The long walls are glass, floor to ceiling. The short walls, front and back are architectural rock/fire place. The floor is stone or tile. The ceiling may end up having some sort of acoustic absorption traits..maybe hard wood slats backed by acoustic insulation somewhat reminiscent of slot resonators found in recording studios.

The room will be a high end corporate retreat/meeting room; used for presentations, meetings, lectures, etc... No rock bands or theatrical performances, but the ceiling mounted speakers will also be tied to a large projector and screen that may be playing movies of some sort or another. Currently planning to have about 47 of the MM-4XPs installed in this one room (there are two smaller rooms with similar constructions that will have fewer speakers).

I usually see the MM-4XPs installed with their included brackets protruding from the walls or ceiling. Wondering if anyone has installed them in a flush mount configuration? Would there be any issues with heat due due to the large heat-sinks on the back? Any other issues that would prevent this from working?

Look at the MMFA-MM4.  Really designed a bit more as a stair riser flush mount but may do what you want.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 01:13:50 AM »

look into the Stella 8C and Stella 4C
http://www.meyersound.com/products/industrialseries/stella-8c/

they are intended for the Constellation system but still sound quite good.

Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 12:09:01 PM »

Whether or not it is right for the job???????????

There are many regular ceiling speakers that are designed for that job and work well.

The sayin "the wrong tool-----" comes to mind.

Not that it can't be done-but is it the best thing for the customer?

Is it because YOU want to use a particular product-or it is best for the CLIENT- (who is paying you) and correct for the job at hand?

There should be a good reason that a particular product is chosen for a job-the brand name is not one of those.    It should be chosen on the merits of the product.

But I guess that only matters if you have the customers best interest at heart-not some "ego wanting to be stroked".

I suspect this is a client preference.  If they want Blose, I'd be selling them that product because if I don't, someone else will.  Saving a client from their own brand preferences is ultimately not my job unless the product they want is so inferior or impossible to implement that I'd not put my name on the project.  And in that case I would not bid or bid with a 30% surcharge to cover the call backs.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 03:34:43 PM »

The truth is, that I was a dumbass and made a snarky late night comeback.

I am and have been exploring several options for this system, one of which was the MM-4XPs. I was just looking for feedback on one particular usage for one particular product.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 04:22:18 PM »

The truth is, that I was a dumbass and made a snarky late night comeback.

I am and have been exploring several options for this system, one of which was the MM-4XPs. I was just looking for feedback on one particular usage for one particular product.

When the Snark bites, with his teeth Babe/Scarlet billows start to spread/Fancy gloves though, has ol' JB, dear/So there's never a trace of red.

/bad channeling
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Channeling
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 04:40:02 PM »

/bad channeling

Bad channeling if you were channeling Bobby Darin, good channeling if it was Lotte Lenya.

Mac

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
Re: Channeling
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 06:31:35 PM »

Bad channeling if you were channeling Bobby Darin, good channeling if it was Lotte Lenya.

Mac

I would have gotten a Brecht reference, but had to look up Lotte. TIL she was married to Weill.  Nicely done Mac.

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 06:39:26 PM »

Here she is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPG9GcykPIY

a real toe-tapper.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 06:39:26 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.