ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shielded, Solid core Cat 5e (Cable maker vs. online post)  (Read 1211 times)

Steven Welwood

Shielded, Solid core Cat 5e (Cable maker vs. online post)
« on: September 02, 2014, 05:46:15 pm »

I'm confused.

I've been trying to track down a F/UTP (foil outer shield) Cat 5e solid core for my SiExpression, but I've been running into variations of this a lot:

Good Afternoon Steven,

I have spoken with my Technician and he advises me that most networking
cable should be stranded.
I believe all our pre-wired cables are stranded and not solid.

Note: this is a 150' cable being discussed

However, then I read this, from Mac Kerr:

The standard spec of 100m (328') for Ethernet based runs is with solid conductors. Stranded conductors are often called "patch cables" because they are intended for shorter runs.

(full thread here: http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,145440.0.html)

Does digital audio travel differently from other network data? Why is it so hard to find long, shielded, solid-core cable? Where do you guys get yours?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:56:49 pm by Mac Kerr »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Shielded, Solid core Cat 5e (Cable maker vs. online post)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 07:34:11 pm »

I'm confused.

I've been trying to track down a F/UTP (foil outer shield) Cat 5e solid core for my SiExpression, but I've been running into variations of this a lot:

Note: this is a 150' cable being discussed

However, then I read this, from Mac Kerr:

(full thread here: http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,145440.0.html)

Does digital audio travel differently from other network data? Why is it so hard to find long, shielded, solid-core cable? Where do you guys get yours?

ProCo.  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EtherShld200 there are other vendors including Markertek, TMB, Neutrik, and a couple more in the EU.

The difference between stranded and solid is seen is the capacitance of the wire, which will act as a low-pass filter as the capacitance increases.  The higher the capacitance the shorter the run can be and still meet bandwidth spec.

Network cables are SOLID conductor; Mac rightly points out the typical use of stranded twisted pair.  I've not seen shielded, stranded TP but it's probably because I'm not looking for it...

Yes.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Steven Welwood

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 08:58:29 pm »

ProCo.  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EtherShld200 there are other vendors including Markertek, TMB, Neutrik, and a couple more in the EU.

The difference between stranded and solid is seen is the capacitance of the wire, which will act as a low-pass filter as the capacitance increases.  The higher the capacitance the shorter the run can be and still meet bandwidth spec.

Network cables are SOLID conductor; Mac rightly points out the typical use of stranded twisted pair.  I've not seen shielded, stranded TP but it's probably because I'm not looking for it...

Yes.

Thank you.

I've always figured the capacitance acting as a low-pass filter was just an analog audio issue. I expected to find mostly solid-core cable in my search, but was surprised to find a lot of stranded instead. I also wasn't expecting a difference between digital audio and network data requirements, which meant I eliminated a bunch of potential sources from my search list.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 08:58:29 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.