ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DOD RTA advice needed  (Read 12566 times)

Cailen Waddell

Re: DOD RTA advice needed
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 11:14:19 AM »

And just how does an RTA show phase and alignment?

It doesn't...

Which is why if you re-read my original post, I suggested the OP go download room eq wizard on the home theater shack forums and buy a cheap calibrated measurement microphone from parts express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 02:18:13 PM »

Which is why if you re-read my original post, I suggested the OP go download room eq wizard on the home theater shack forums and buy a cheap calibrated measurement microphone from parts express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I re-read both your initial response and the OP.  He only has an EQ to set up, presumably a GEQ.  While the REQW appears to be nice (and free), the OP states he's looking for a device to EQ the system in the space.  Hence my suggestion to use ears.

Maybe the nice freeware will give him the incentive to dive deeper...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 02:21:19 PM »

I re-read both your initial response and the OP.  He only has an EQ to set up, presumably a GEQ.  While the REQW appears to be nice (and free), the OP states he's looking for a device to EQ the system in the space.  Hence my suggestion to use ears.

Maybe the nice freeware will give him the incentive to dive deeper...

I suppose it's up to the OP as to his goals.  If he only wants to make his HT system sound good where he sits I suggest long cables to move the EQ to his seat and he can randomly push sliders up/down until he's satisfied, then move his EQ back to the rack.

If he's interested in learning the why and how, REW and a mic are a very good and inexpensive way to start out.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 04:09:58 PM »

The owner's manual states the calibrated microphone that comes with the unit (again - none with this used unit) must be used and plugged into the front panel - it says that other microphones may sustain damage if plugged into the unit. Is this because of a special configuration they are using, or can I actually use another RTA mic on the unit?
Jim,

The phantom power  voltage used to make the test mic work could damage a dynamic mic.
The DOD mic uses a 1/4" TRS male plug rather than a standard XLR connector as used by most mics, you could use another mic  but it will require a properly wired adapter. Best to just purchase the mic from DOD, it is about the same cost as most cheap RTA mics, and has pretty flat response (at least the one I own does).

Art

James Deni

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 11:24:23 AM »

Thanks so much for the input. I have a GEQ and 15 ft cables so I will be able to sit in my favorite chair and play with the settings. I will also look into getting an inexpensive mic from DOD. After all, I've got the unit now and might as well see what it can tell me.

I have already taken a look at SMAART and a couple other apps on line - they look interesting and if I had seen them first I might not have gone with the DOD RTA, but that's academic at his point - maybe check them out later.

I appreciate the help and opines on this forum - Will hopefully be able to contribute/pay back in the future.

Jim

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 02:39:27 PM »

Thanks so much for the input. I have a GEQ and 15 ft cables so I will be able to sit in my favorite chair and play with the settings. I will also look into getting an inexpensive mic from DOD. After all, I've got the unit now and might as well see what it can tell me.

I have already taken a look at SMAART and a couple other apps on line - they look interesting and if I had seen them first I might not have gone with the DOD RTA, but that's academic at his point - maybe check them out later.

I appreciate the help and opines on this forum - Will hopefully be able to contribute/pay back in the future.

Jim

These things still command a large amount of money considering what they do.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/161386189753  It certainly was a market leader in BLC (blinkie light count)

Good luck tuning your system.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 06:00:39 PM »

Jim,

The phantom power  voltage used to make the test mic work could damage a dynamic mic.
The DOD mic uses a 1/4" TRS male plug rather than a standard XLR connector as used by most mics, you could use another mic  but it will require a properly wired adapter. Best to just purchase the mic from DOD, it is about the same cost as most cheap RTA mics, and has pretty flat response (at least the one I own does).

Art

Art;
It has been some time now but I did have 2 of those. There was only a 1/4 tip-sleeve jack on the end of the rta microphone. I'll include a photo of one I sold many years ago.
Douglas R. Allen

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 06:06:44 PM »

I wanted to add on the back of the unit there is a standard XLR microphone input. The down side to it is it doesn't have phantom power that most RTA microphones need. If you can find a low cost RTA microphone and have or can use a low cost phantom power source it can be used or use the line in fed from another mixer / microphone.
Douglas R. Allen

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 01:27:09 PM »

Art;
It has been some time now but I did have 2 of those. There was only a 1/4 tip-sleeve jack on the end of the rta microphone.
Doug,

You are correct, my memory was mistaken. About 14 years ago I drilled a hole through the rack ear on my DOD RTA, ran a cord through, and soldered on a right angle 1/4"  connector plugged in to the RTA front panel input, haven't unplugged it until this morning to confirm you were right.

Art

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 01:27:09 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.