ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Presonus mixers announced:  (Read 24857 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: New Presonus mixers announced:
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2014, 08:59:56 AM »

Indeed.  I've gotten used to the 24dB/oct on the AVID Venue desks and really, really like it.  Since this is presumably a firmware thing, I'm not sure why it can't be a configuration option in almost any brand of mixer.

My APB had a 12db per octave HPF and it was more than usable always producing great results. I find the same to be true of the HPF on the SI I own and so now I wonder if, and feel that, frequency response has a much to do with the results as the slope of the filter. I'll also say that design is the biggest factor as both the APB and Soundcraft have outstanding well designed EQ's, some other boards not so much.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
New Presonus mixers announced:
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2014, 06:35:24 PM »

12db / octave is fine. It's easy to get attached to the 24db octave workflow though, IMHO. 6db is just nuts :)

Glad to see a somewhat competitive product out of Presonus. Nice to see slightly smaller companies hold their ground, especially when they dropped the ball in the traditional-surface console department these last few years...

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2014, 07:07:25 PM »

In my judgement the slope of the HPF is not super critical. Most of the time this is just taking out the LF garbage from channels not processing LF. Agreed -6 dB/oct is marginal, but I would not over think this.

More poles get more expensive when analog and adjustable, but for digital, not as expensive.   

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Arik Semagin

« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2014, 10:19:04 AM »

They are worthless to me because.
1  Doesn't have a real surface (So what? The whole concept is built around touchscreen. iPads and iPhones doesn't have keys and buttons either and nobody complains)
2  Im sure it sounds as bad as the other SL mixers (How one can be "sure" without even trying entirely different preamp? Or it has to suck because it has "Presonus" stamped on the front? Is it another variation of "I just can't stand Behringer name…"?)
3  It operates on windows 8 so it has to suck (It is NOT. So far core W8 was as stable as XPe (which runs on every major digital console out there, DiGiCo, Soundcraft/Studer, all AVID desks. BTW I work for Apple full-time, so no personal reasons for me to defend Windows)
4  All the I/O is on the stage (Where else they are supposed to be?)
5  No monitoring at the mix position (How about using FM link (transmitter+receiver, about $30 on eBay? Too complicated?)
6  No front panel controls (when the iPad gets broken at the gig or the battery dies) (Sound will still pass through, iPad/Surface is just a controller. I never heard about "broken" iPad unless physically damaged. If battery dies it's your fault, not iPad's, and nothing prevents you from having a backup iPad (I do)
Im sure once I put my hands on it the list will grow. (as well as list of happy users of Presonus gear who will make money with them day after day)

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2014, 03:04:47 PM »

Looks like presonus found the nitrous
still kind of a freaky concept
what are the options if your surface fails mid show?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:07:25 PM by lindsay Dean »
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2014, 05:09:53 PM »

Looks like presonus found the nitrous
still kind of a freaky concept
what are the options if your surface fails mid show?

What are YOUR options if YOUR surface fails mid show now?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2014, 06:55:31 PM »

I would normally put my spare to work, but my surface isn't a touch screen, and to be very honest I've always bought the best I could afford, stayed away from products with problems, stayed away from being a beta test subject, and stayed away from Presonus based on the other crap they make. At this point I wouldn't give Presonus the same respect I give Behringer's X32, and don't see that changing any time soon.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2014, 08:14:32 PM »

I would normally put my spare to work, but my surface isn't a touch screen, and to be very honest I've always bought the best I could afford, stayed away from products with problems, stayed away from being a beta test subject, and stayed away from Presonus based on the other crap they make. At this point I wouldn't give Presonus the same respect I give Behringer's X32, and don't see that changing any time soon.
Ouch! (statement, not a value judgement!)

frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2014, 08:14:32 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.