ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: New Presonus mixers announced:  (Read 24625 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: New Presonus mixers announced:
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2014, 02:47:12 AM »

I looked into Senn wireless headphones as possible options for soloing channels remotely while mixing from iPad but the product descriptions have this at the bottom:

note while the sound quaity of these headphones is fantastic for any type of music, they were not designed for use while recording/tracking and monitoring or musical instrument practice (performer wears the headphones while playing).

Senn support confirms that latency is the reason.  Bummer, as it would be a great solution.   IEMs work but are much more spendy.
  ..dave

I would have posted a naked picture of my wife before I owned that photo (seriously running and ducking)
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Bolt

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2014, 08:11:52 PM »

The comprehensive I/O, wireless connectivity, recallable preamps, and auxes by the dozen are really nice. However, as someone who has used a 24.4.2 extensively since it has been available, I am more concerned with how (or even, if) they have addressed the unresponsive EQ, and mediocre-at-best effects and dynamics processing.

The Behringer X32 is appearing in places that would have been unthinkable a year ago. How far that snowball will roll is anyone's guess.

The Presonus has carved out a niche in the mix-the-band-from-stage world, but has not gained much traction with "pro" users, even at entry level. It's simply not that impressive initially, and the warts grow bigger and uglier with each use.

That said, I will probably be behind one this weekend, and the dance floor will be packed with happy customers.

It almost reminds me of the Electronic Keyboard market of the early 80's. 

Almost.
Dave,

I have had similar comments on the limitations of the SL line and the average efx (specifically the verbs).  My experience does not extend to the new AI mixers though, so it is possible that they have improved the efx.  Have you mixed on the AI as well as the original SL to confirm or deny the quality of the efx in the AI.

I own an X32 Rack and feel that the verbs on it are quite good compared to external verbs I am familiar with (M-One XL and MPX550).

As for Presonus's "Mix the band from stage crowd", I agree that this was their strong point.  The full meter bridge and easily accessible channel faders for all channels made it a great tool when it was introduced (really had no competition at all at that price point).

Presonus also pioneered one of the best remote applications for the SL .... again being years ahead of the competition.

I am thinking that the pickins are't as easy today as they were when the original SL was introduced.  This product seems like a direct competitor to the X32 Rack.  The X32 Rack is a pretty serious piece of gear that can be had for around $1K. 

As you point out, the stain of the word "Behringer" has mostly worn off with respect to the X32 line, but still, I expect there will be some portion of the market that would love this particular work flow without the word "Behringer" on the product (I know a few people that would meet this criteria).  This may well provide a decent number of sales for Presonus.

The new app looks pretty nice.  Hopefully it will be well thought out all the way through.  Presonus certainly has enough experience in this area to come up with a very good app on the tablet.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2014, 08:28:40 PM »

Anyone know if they improved upon the HPF in the AI series mixers? IMO, 6db  octave(Studio Live series) is pretty useless.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2014, 10:53:10 PM »

Anyone know if they improved upon the HPF in the AI series mixers? IMO, 6db  octave(Studio Live series) is pretty useless.

I agree and that's something SL users have been requesting for a long time.  Hopefully the guys at Presonus will use this as an opportunity to correct that problem.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2014, 08:30:57 AM »

Maybe in three years when this project goes live, a competing sound company will have a better product on the market.

You mean like the x32 Rack? 
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2014, 02:51:56 PM »

In the new mixers it's 12dB/oct.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2014, 04:18:48 PM »

In the new mixers it's 12dB/oct.

That's less useless, I guess.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2014, 04:31:38 PM »

So weird. Even the 18/db ones on the Si desks feels a little shallow to me.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2014, 06:29:30 PM »

So weird. Even the 18/db ones on the Si desks feels a little shallow to me.

Indeed.  I've gotten used to the 24dB/oct on the AVID Venue desks and really, really like it.  Since this is presumably a firmware thing, I'm not sure why it can't be a configuration option in almost any brand of mixer.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2014, 04:28:45 AM »

Indeed.  I've gotten used to the 24dB/oct on the AVID Venue desks and really, really like it.  Since this is presumably a firmware thing, I'm not sure why it can't be a configuration option in almost any brand of mixer.
Steeper slope means more dsp power needed. Multiply that with all the numbers of channels to process and your dsp might choke or not leave room for other goodies.

They state that the dsp is so powerfull that you now have two fat per channel. I very much doubt that they both are active at the same time but rather a quick snapshop that is recallable and therefor not taking up any dsp power.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2014, 04:28:45 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.