ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: New Presonus mixers announced:  (Read 24649 times)

John Roll

Re: New Presonus mixers announced:
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2014, 04:29:02 PM »

Apparently you don't. Just like any other board you leave on stage when you mix exclusively with a tablet.  Seems to me that anyone planning on having a desk at FOH probably wouldn't be looking at this in the 1st place. Target audience is more like DL1608 users looking to expand/upgrade.

What about using one of these:
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/wireless-headphones

or one of the many offerings for IEMs
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2014, 04:31:20 PM »

I'm just beginning to use Sennheiser IEM's.  The headphones are for listening to TV on your couch.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2014, 04:36:18 PM »

I saw enough to see that they also put the Inputs/Outputs on the front.  WTF?   That will be a PITA for everyone who leaves their rack mounted mixer always connected to their monitor amps and their DSP in the same rack.  I also leave both my stage snakes hooked up to my mixer as well.  The ensuing rat's nest of cabling in the front of the rack now will be real appealing.
I imagine they'd have complaints either way... If you're just hooking up the mixer to some powered speakers with xlr cables having the outputs on the front with the inputs is great. The best solution would be to have all outputs mirrored on front and back with the inputs on one side or the other. I like Presonus's idea of putting the aux outputs on the back with DSUB connectors.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2014, 05:24:59 PM »

I imagine they'd have complaints either way... If you're just hooking up the mixer to some powered speakers with xlr cables having the outputs on the front with the inputs is great. The best solution would be to have all outputs mirrored on front and back with the inputs on one side or the other. I like Presonus's idea of putting the aux outputs on the back with DSUB connectors.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

Yeah that's a good point. If was just using powered speakers with built in DSP, I'd at least want the outputs on the front.  And if I was plugging in mic cables or a snake at every show I'd want the inputs in the front. I'm probably in the minority.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2014, 05:37:04 PM »

Yeah that's a good point. If was just using powered speakers with built in DSP, I'd at least want the outputs on the front.  And if I was plugging in mic cables or a snake at every show I'd want the inputs in the front. I'm probably in the minority.

Yeah, there are good arguments for both ways. Be glad you don't have to plug into this setup every week:

All my connections are facing down so the mixer will fit in my case. My wireing is slightly neater than that now; that's a pic I took a while back. The snake isn't connected either; when it's connected there are 16 xlr connectors hanging down from the connection pod.

I'd love to make a patch panel or mass disconnect but I can't justify the cost. On a side note I hope Mackie doesn't use a ton of TRS connections on their new board; their a PITA when you have an all XLR snake.

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2014, 06:23:04 PM »

I looked into Senn wireless headphones as possible options for soloing channels remotely while mixing from iPad but the product descriptions have this at the bottom:

note while the sound quaity of these headphones is fantastic for any type of music, they were not designed for use while recording/tracking and monitoring or musical instrument practice (performer wears the headphones while playing).

Senn support confirms that latency is the reason.  Bummer, as it would be a great solution.   IEMs work but are much more spendy.
  ..dave
..db

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2014, 10:21:26 PM »

RM16AI & RM32AI

http://presonus.com/products/StudioLive-RM-Series

http://youtu.be/8DDYxZua3JU

Presonus StudioLive™ RM32AI Active Integration™ 32x16x3 Rack Mount Digital Mixer

- Fully recallable mixer
- 32 locking XLR inputs with recallable XMAX™ Class A mic preamps and +48V phantom power
- 16 XLR line outputs on the front, mirrored on rear-panel DB25 jack
- 3 XLR main outputs (left, right, mono) with analog trim pots
- 32 LED meter grid
- 32 internal channels
- 25 mix buses
- 16 aux mix buses
- 3 main mix buses (left, right, mono)
- 4 internal FX buses (2 reverb, 2 delay)
- Stereo solo bus
- Fat Channel signal processing on all input channels and all buses, with 4-band parametric EQ, compressor, gate, limiter, and more
- 52x34 direct digital FireWire recording interface
- UC-Surface™ battle-ready, live mixing and control software
- Designed specifically for live sound mixing
- Multiplatform support for Mac®, Windows®, and iPad®
- Windows 8 multi-touch-compatible for large touchscreen mixing
- Contextual-based navigation for quick, intuitive access to all mixing functions
- Compatible with free QMix™-AI personal monitoring control app for iPhone®/iPod® touch
- Complete solution: Includes Capture™ live-recording software and Studio One® Artist DAW for Mac and Windows, and Nimbit® account for online music promotion and distribution.
- USB jack and included Wi-Fi LAN adapter provides wireless control
- 2 FireWire S800 ports, 1 Ethernet control port, and S/PDIF digital output
- Option card slot for future expansion, Thunderbolt, Dante, and AVB cards coming soon
- Up to 96 kHz operation
- Front-panel Mute All button temporarily mutes all inputs and outputs
- Stereo tape input (RCA jacks)
- Headphone output with volume knob and selectable source
- +48V Meters button to display phantom power assignment on the meter grid
- 1x1 MIDI interface
- 4U rackmount
- Extensive library of tutorials and downloads

The comprehensive I/O, wireless connectivity, recallable preamps, and auxes by the dozen are really nice. However, as someone who has used a 24.4.2 extensively since it has been available, I am more concerned with how (or even, if) they have addressed the unresponsive EQ, and mediocre-at-best effects and dynamics processing.

The Behringer X32 is appearing in places that would have been unthinkable a year ago. How far that snowball will roll is anyone's guess.

The Presonus has carved out a niche in the mix-the-band-from-stage world, but has not gained much traction with "pro" users, even at entry level. It's simply not that impressive initially, and the warts grow bigger and uglier with each use.

That said, I will probably be behind one this weekend, and the dance floor will be packed with happy customers.

It almost reminds me of the Electronic Keyboard market of the early 80's. 

Almost.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2014, 12:00:51 AM »

That said, I will probably be behind one this weekend, and the dance floor will be packed with happy customers.

It almost reminds me of the Electronic Keyboard market of the early 80's. 

Almost.

Yeah, I was sooo glad to not be a keyboard player back then.  At least with these new mixers you won't have to buy 3 new units every year because of "new sounds".
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2014, 12:19:47 AM »

A friend was recently quoted $2250 for an X32 console.  Still seems the way to go to me.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2014, 01:27:23 AM »

How very, very fortuitous. I just happen to be looking for a remotely controlled rack mount digital console with more than 8 inputs.

Maybe in three years when this project goes live, a competing sound company will have a better product on the market. But this will fill the budget place holder for the time being.  ;D
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2014, 01:27:23 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.