ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: New Presonus mixers announced:  (Read 24633 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: New Presonus mixers announced:
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 03:25:15 AM »

They are worthless to me because.
1  Doesn't have a real surface
2  Im sure it sounds as bad as the other SL mixers
3  It operates on windows 8 so it has to suck
4  All the I/O is on the stage
5  No monitoring at the mix position
6  No front panel controls (when the iPad gets broken at the gig or the battery dies)
Im sure once I put my hands on it the list will grow.

1 - Hardly makes it worthless,
2 - Personal opinion (never owned one, used many.  Never had one that sounded worse than the band I was working for)
3 - Have you ever used windows 8 for any length of time?  If you have (especially 8.1) I really doubt you would say this.  It is the most stable and fastest Windows OS ever.  The UI was a big leap but it is clear MS is committed to it and as I said 8.1 huge improvement.  I would never go back to Win 7
4 - I like that, I often use an S16 as a snake and don't even touch the inputs on the x32 (We only have one rack and I don't like using it)
5 - That is a big issue
6 - We need to understand the architecture.  I hope the show goes on even if the surface takes a dump.  What kind of CPU will it really require?  Will you be able to run a Surface tablet as a backup?

As far as good touch screens, they are not cheap but much less than a large format iPad.  And you can update the computer without trashing the display.

The Elo 2740 is a 27" high impact kiosk level touch screen (10 point) for under $800

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 04:00:45 AM »

Just learning the new Win 8 Metro Tapatalk.  Sorry for the second post.

Anyway...I certainly am guilty of not paying attention.

How did we make the assumption that the host processor on the control surface is required for the device to function?

It supports Windows 8, it clearly also supports iPad as they show one.  The Windows 8 multitouch would bring some advantages.  You are free to use what you want.

I am committed to my platform but somebody needed to objectively defend these things.

Announcement videos look cool but it will be interesting to see how the final product fleshes out.  One of the disadvantages to anyone coming late to the party is Behringer has 2 years of maturity in their software.  You can't just go out and but that experience no matter how good your developers are.

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 04:19:16 AM »

PS: Love those SOTA class A mic preamps ??? Old transistor radios were class A.
Just means you can't afford a second transistor!

Most things are class A - Except VOX AC30 amplifiers - despit their claims!

Steve.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 04:22:33 AM »

Blah, blah, blah. So now you only need to worry about bringing a spare interface and backup for your Windows 8 system along with a pair of 27" screens so you can actually use it. Good touch screens are not cheap, cheap touch screens are not good. By the time you've purchased good hardware to use their interface your into any of the boards that already exist. And I applaud their feature set, but you better have plenty of CPU if your going to use most of those features at the same time.

Yes,  That's a lot of technology to replicate moving the position of a contact on a carbon track.

A bit like people who would rather write with a stylus on a touch screen device rather than use a pencil and paper!

Steve.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 05:05:39 AM »

Maybe I missed it but how do you solo a channel and monitor it? Or do any monitoring of any group , L/R , effects etc? Is some audio returned down the cat5 or is no monitoring possible?

Douglas R. Allen

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 06:09:36 AM »

It looks to me, since the headphone output is on the stage box that you would have to use and IEM set to take care of that duty.  I thought about doing this with the Mackie DL-1608 but never did it.

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 07:34:43 AM »

Announcement videos look cool but it will be interesting to see how the final product fleshes out.  One of the disadvantages to anyone coming late to the party is Behringer has 2 years of maturity in their software.  You can't just go out and but that experience no matter how good your developers are.

Actually, Presonus had a product out BEFORE Behringer did.  I can't imagine this is brand new software, but was built upon the software for the existing StudioLive products.  All they did was take the physical controls off of the mixer and package the unit in a 19" rack. (and add digitally controlled preamps)
Brian Jojade

David Parker

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 08:52:32 AM »

the new touch control mixers are going to make my LS9 worthless when I get ready to sell it

John Penkala

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 09:00:06 AM »

If you look at the brochure graphics, they use a 2008 (or earlier) vintage MacBook Pro in the graphics.

I find it odd that all of the IO is on the front.  If you're going to rack this unit, it would be nice if the outputs were on the back to patch to the rest of your gear inside the same rack. If you're using powered speakers, I guess having the outputs on the front would be handy. Mirroring the main outputs would have been nice though.

I'm curious to see the price point that they come up with on this unit.  It's a fairly close comparison to the X32 rack, although not as much i/o, and not usable without an external control device.

As things progress, I hope to see more stuff work like the iLive product.  All processing is done in the stage box, but still have the option to have a control surface or multiple surfaces somewhere on the network.  Lose a network connection and things keep going with no audio drop out.  There's no reason for audio signal to go to FOH and back.

While iPad mixing is handy, it is still better to have physical controls.  Much easier to react when there's a knob that you can feel versus sliding on a screen.

At least with a Behringer X32 Rack if your wireless connection or connected computer go down, you have a set of front panel controls. To me, this is like an X32 rack with a better UI and larger FW I/O capacity. I am curious to see what the channel count is of the Dante card, 32x32 or 64x64?

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 10:19:03 AM »

Just means you can't afford a second transistor!

Most things are class A - Except VOX AC30 amplifiers - despit their claims!

Steve.

Huh? Most things AFAIK are "not" considered class A. In complex compound circuitry the class of operation is usually describing the output stage as that consumes the most power and characterizes behavior interfacing with the outside world.

If they are using one of the modern digitally controlled mic preamp ICs they are both (TI and THAT) class AB (output stage) AFAIK.

If they are taking artistic license with how they define class A, then all the other manufacturers using those same chip sets are class A too.

This is a minor quibble but revealing of how they think and expect their customers to think.

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 10:19:03 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.