ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Neil Diamond JBL touring system  (Read 9366 times)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Neil Diamond JBL touring system
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »

This one. Elvis with Clair Bros.
It looks "the flying junkyard" name was specially dedicated to Stan Miller´s design for The Wall.
6+ two ton. motors?
Alberto,

Those all appear to be one ton CM chain motors.
The 2 ton motors Clair used back then were "double chain", using a sheave block. The sheave is a lot heavier than the 1 ton swivel hook, so the riggers had to lug that extra weight and double the chain weight, not fun for a 60' lift. The sheave motors climb at half the speed of the standard Lodestar 1 ton.

Had to do a bit of a search just to locate any pictures clear enough to show "double chain" 2 ton motors, which seem to be going the way of the dinosaur in rock & roll rigging.

Art

Doug Hammel

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 03:09:58 PM »

Alberto,

Those all appear to be one ton CM chain motors.
The 2 ton motors Clair used back then were "double chain", using a sheave block. The sheave is a lot heavier than the 1 ton swivel hook, so the riggers had to lug that extra weight and double the chain weight, not fun for a 60' lift. The sheave motors climb at half the speed of the standard Lodestar 1 ton.

Had to do a bit of a search just to locate any pictures clear enough to show "double chain" 2 ton motors, which seem to be going the way of the dinosaur in rock & roll rigging.

Art

Have I missed something? I thought two ton motors were "double chain" style. Has something new come out? I also still see lots of "double chain" two ton motors out there on the touring circuit. Seen a Clair rig lately?

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 04:27:27 PM »

Have I missed something? I thought two ton motors were "double chain" style. Has something new come out? I also still see lots of "double chain" two ton motors out there on the touring circuit. Seen a Clair rig lately?
No, but I'll take your word Clair still has plenty "double chain" two ton motors left, they probably are hard to sell now.

I had never encountered a two ton CM chain motor that was not a double chain and sheave, but couldn't find a single example of that format for the current 2 ton models in CM production industry catalogs, or even a picture of a single used "double chain" CM.

Made me feel like I was lost in a time warp and missed something...

Art

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 06:11:09 PM »

No, but I'll take your word Clair still has plenty "double chain" two ton motors left, they probably are hard to sell now.

I had never encountered a two ton CM chain motor that was not a double chain and sheave, but couldn't find a single example of that format for the current 2 ton models in CM production industry catalogs, or even a picture of a single used "double chain" CM.

Made me feel like I was lost in a time warp and missed something...

Art

The single chain 2 tons are new.  There are just a few on tour right now and I believe the CM engineers just went out to do a checkup on them before continuing the production run. There are only 30 some in existence from what I understand

All second hand information tho....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 02:03:22 PM »

The single chain 2 tons are new.
Good, I feel less old now :).

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 02:09:16 PM »

Of course no one has commented on how that Clair rig appears to be a pair of one ton motors lifting a dozen 4560 boxes, a dozen JBL aluminum 2355 horns ( with the plaster coating ) all with a single or perhaps double 2440 and four boxes of bullet tweeters plus the weight of the lift deck.  Thats a lot of plywood and Alnico for those two motors to be lifting.  Just saying.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 03:49:54 PM »

Of course no one has commented on how that Clair rig appears to be a pair of one ton motors lifting a dozen 4560 boxes, a dozen JBL aluminum 2355 horns ( with the plaster coating ) all with a single or perhaps double 2440 and four boxes of bullet tweeters plus the weight of the lift deck.  Thats a lot of plywood and Alnico for those two motors to be lifting.  Just saying.
Riley,

CM motor clutches slip when they are overloaded, "an de deck no fly, mon"  ;).

Makes me remember a system that when I count up the sixteen 320 pound cabinets and steel par 64s must have been pretty close to 8000 pounds on four 1 ton CM motors..

Art
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 03:58:00 PM by Art Welter »

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 05:19:13 PM »

I know the sound.  Just commenting on the added bit of craziness of loading the motors to near capacity on top of all the other craziness of the way things were done back in the good old days.  I especially love the upstage cable drop sans pick coming off the corner of the platform.  A good tug on that would probably had interesting results.

CM motor clutches slip when they are overloaded, "an de deck no fly, mon"  ;).

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 07:02:27 AM »

Art-

Is that antenna tower?

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 09:49:05 AM »

Art-

Is that antenna tower?
No, it is Universal Truss, made of aluminum, designed for horizontal use. We had end brackets welded on to use 5/8" graded bolts, the original sleeved sockets would gall up and require an entire crew to pull them apart  ::) .

So many memories of the "good old days"  ;).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 09:49:05 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.