ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is CL Editor so big on Retina screen?  (Read 5547 times)

Frederik Rosenkjær

Why is CL Editor so big on Retina screen?
« on: August 29, 2014, 02:40:57 AM »

I just bought a Mac Book Pro, my first Mac ever, and installed all the stuff I need, among these Yamaha CL Editor.

It works fine, but the contents of the window (the mixer view) are so big that I need to scroll around to see it all - it doesn't fit on the screen all at once, not even just one normal 16-channel view. Obviously OSX is scaling up the graphics, because on my Windows machine with 1920x1080 resolution it all fits with lots of room to spare, but on this screen, which has way more real estate, I have to scroll around.

Is there anything to do about this? Can I scale down the contents of the window?
Sorry if this has been covered (I imagine it's not new), but I couldn't find anything via Google.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:05:24 AM by Frederik Rosenkjær »
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Why is CL Editor so big on Retina screen?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 06:24:03 AM »

I just bought a Mac Book Pro, my first Mac ever, and installed all the stuff I need, among these Yamaha CL Editor.

It works fine, but the contents of the window (the mixer view) are so big that I need to scroll around to see it all - it doesn't fit on the screen all at once, not even just one normal 16-channel view. Obviously OSX is scaling up the graphics, because on my Windows machine with 1920x1080 resolution it all fits with lots of room to spare, but on this screen, which has way more real estate, I have to scroll around.

Is there anything to do about this? Can I scale down the contents of the window?
Sorry if this has been covered (I imagine it's not new), but I couldn't find anything via Google.

The same inflexible programming that makes SM2 too small on the same MacBook pro screen? I haven't figured out a reasonable workaround.
Jay Barracato

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 06:25:13 AM »

The OSX way to unzoom a window is a two finger movement where your thumb and forefinger come together (like a pinch).  Try it in safari, zoom in, zoom out,...

I doubt it will work on the Yamaha app

All of the console apps I have worked with are designed for a certain fixed window size and resolution and don't have any zoom capabilities. Yamaha may be using some 'old' portable Windows/OSX GUI API that doesn't recognize the actual retina resolution.
Mark McFarlane

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 12:15:26 PM »

AFAIK there is no way to scale the editor window, but I have no problem on my non-retina MacBook Pro. Does your screen look like this?

Aaron Weidner

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 12:27:48 PM »

I don't know if it has been tried, but go to System Preferences >> Displays you should see something like this

and see if adjusting between more space and larger text makes a difference.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »

Damn, I thought I had a lot of crap in my menu bar.   ::)

AFAIK there is no way to scale the editor window, but I have no problem on my non-retina MacBook Pro. Does your screen look like this?

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 04:03:19 PM »

Damn, I thought I had a lot of crap in my menu bar.   ::)

Lol, Mac has me beat too. If I had that much on mine I wouldn't be able to see most of it as I'm on a non-Retina 13 inch. :)

I don't know if it has been tried, but go to System Preferences >> Displays you should see something like this

and see if adjusting between more space and larger text makes a difference.

You also might try "Best for display" which should make the screen run at it's native resolution. This may make text very hard to read though.

Andrew Makinson

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »

You also might try "Best for display" which should make the screen run at it's native resolution. This may make text very hard to read though.
The native resolution of the 15" is 3840x2400.  OSX will not scale to this resolution.  If you select "Best for display" it will look like 1440x900.  If you select more space the sizing will look like 1920x1200.
--
Andrew Makinson
Grace Covenant Church
Chantilly, VA

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 01:19:55 PM »

The native resolution of the 15" is 3840x2400.  OSX will not scale to this resolution.  If you select "Best for display" it will look like 1440x900.  If you select more space the sizing will look like 1920x1200.

Interesting, didn't know that. I don't have a Retina model and haven't tried it; I'm surprised that you can't make it run at full resolution, though it would probably make text very small.

It is possible to run the screen at native resolution with an app like QuickRes. Not sure if that helps the OP or not though.

Andrew Makinson

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 01:24:28 PM »

Interesting, didn't know that. I don't have a Retina model and haven't tried it; I'm surprised that you can't make it run at full resolution, though it would probably make text very small.

It is possible to run the screen at native resolution with an app like QuickRes. Not sure if that helps the OP or not though.
Tommy,  QuickRes or similar could probably do it.  I know from running the native resolution in Window 7 that it is possible but too small to be useful.  OP just needs to set to "more space".
--
Andrew Makinson
Grace Covenant Church
Chantilly, VA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 01:24:28 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.