ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Router/network capacity  (Read 9085 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Router/network capacity
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 12:19:00 AM »

Rob - I just went through the same shtick trying to explain layer 2 and layer 3 in the current wireless bridge thread.  I think I failed miserably.  I think it is a tough concept how two devices can be on different IP networks but plugged into the same switch.

Yup, and here we go again.

Since simple computer lans connected to the Internet are so easy to do, people expect complex ones to be as easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 09:29:09 AM »

I'm not trying to be thick headed (sometimes it does come naturally)-but if you will look at my post it is accurate to a fault.  The internet does not work when connected directly to the iMac-ie when there is only one router in the network and the iMac was intentionally disconnected from the wireless network (I think I actually powered down that second media router at the time)-ie the "simple' setup does not work.  With a second router in the chain-and I do understand that places the iMac on a separate network (at that time the only computer on that network) I do have internet access.

I rebooted the iMac when connected directly to the switch-it should have received an IP address from the main router via DHCP at that time, correct?

If it didn't work with both routers, I get it and go back and work through configurations.  It is actually working the way I want right now  (except the router does not give me the option of denying internet access to any "new" wireless devices it sees-but that is a router limitation and can be cured only by an upgrade-and I can probably live with it as is until funds are available).  The only reason for my question is understanding.

I had been using the wireless media router strictly for remote control of Keynote presentations via an iPad or iPhone.  Adding the wired network was strictly for showing internet content on the projector-in this case one of our websites- in the future Skype connections with missionaries, etc.  So there are really no devices that need to communicate across the networks-and technically no "domain" per se-just a bunch of PCs connected to a switch for Internet access. (If I understand the term domain properly   I do understand your frustration-I am still trying to get my pastor to wrap his head around being connected to a WiFi that is not connected to the internet.  He loves his tech devices that "just work"-but cares nothing for understanding the structure-but wants to get in and play with configurations himself.) 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 09:38:02 AM by Stephen Swaffer »
Steve Swaffer

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 11:12:13 AM »

Stephen, it really isn't easy for us to diagnose this without an accurate understanding of your network topology and settings.

A key to reliable networks is to design it ( for me that means drawing it out and making a list of all devices along with their planned addresses ), then build it to plan.

Frankly, I am lost as to how things are hooked in your network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 11:41:47 AM »

Vote two on lost.  IMac is a host it needs an ip address..a subnet mask and a working gateway.  It should get those from dhcp.  Only one device per layer 2 network should be serving dhcp.   A router also must do NAT the process of translating your private IP to your Internet ip.  You can get away with double NAT but it is very problematic and causes performance issues.    A diagram with addresses would be great.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 11:41:47 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.