ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC PLD 4.5 Amp? Good on Subwoofers?  (Read 14249 times)

Josh Billings

QSC PLD 4.5 Amp? Good on Subwoofers?
« on: August 24, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »

I have 4x 1,000 watt RMS Subwoofers I've had on RMX4050 amps and want to get rid of them (they are getting old) and replace them with something newer. Does anybody have any experience with these amps? Are they robust enough for subwoofer duty? Are they reliable? All my subs on one amp sounds a little scary.

Josh Billings
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:11:44 PM by Josh Billings »

chuck clark

Re: QSC PLD 4.5 Amp? Good on Subwoofers?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 03:46:53 PM »

at 1250 w/per ch  into 4 ohms in 4 ch mode they should be fine.  at 2250 w/ch into 4 ohms in 2 ch mode they would outperform what you've got now and at 4200 w into 4 ohms in single ch. mode they deliver world class performance.  I would think your main worry when run at higher levels would be tripping a 20 amp breaker that might have other loads on it when you plug in and crank it up!
Happy sailing!
chuck

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 09:14:15 PM »

I think his question is similar to how various other SMPS low cost amps did poorly in real life compared to paper specs. 

I haven't tried these amps, but at some point am planning to compare a few against Powersoft K and Danley EDA. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Josh Billings

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 08:13:23 PM »

So have these just not been out long enough for anybody to have experience with them? I'm just wondering if the 1,250 RMS / 2,000 watts PEAK are significant numbers for subwoofers. Should I just be looking at the 1250 number? I'm running everything through a UX3600 with grey box settings (limiters included).

Josh Billings

George Dougherty

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 08:13:47 PM »

I have 4x 800 watt 1,000 watt RMS Subwoofers I've had on RMX4050 amps and want to get rid of them (they are getting old) and replace them with something newer. Does anybody have any experience with these amps? Are they robust enough for subwoofer duty? Are they reliable? All my subs on one amp sounds a little scary.

Josh Billings
They seem to be an update of sorts over the PLX series (yes, different format, different amp topologies, DSP built-in)  Some people found the PLX didn't do quite as well as the bigger RMX amps though that also seems somewhat dependent on power supply.

The specs seem to go downhill pretty fast below 8ohms which I'd assumed meant they were pretty current limited based on the near identical 4ohm and 2ohm ratings.  I'd like to pick up a pair, but I'd planned on running them for biamped tops to get 2 boxes per side in stereo off a single amp.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 10:39:44 PM »

I have a pair of the 4.5's with a sub being powered by 3 channels and a top by the remaining 1 channel of each amp.  By the specs, that should be about 2400W at 4ohm for the subs.  I have not compared this setup with anything else (say, a PL380, Speakerpower.net amp, or I-Tech) so my thoughts are purely speculative but I get the feeling that a single channel of the PL380 may come out on top by a small margin.  Unless I'm able to borrow something else to compare and find that it's much better, I'll be sticking with the PLD4.5's.  The built in processing and channel flexibility fits the bill for me at the moment.

Note: the amps have pretty conservative limiting when set to Auto in case you end up getting them.  Also, I'd consider getting 2.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:49:54 PM by Corey Scogin »

Josh Billings

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 11:02:07 PM »

I have a pair of the 4.5's with a sub being powered by 3 channels and a top by the remaining 1 channel of each amp.  By the specs, that should be about 2400W at 4ohm for the subs.  I have not compared this setup with anything else (say, a PL380, Speakerpower.net amp, or I-Tech) so my thoughts are purely speculative but I get the feeling that a single channel of the PL380 may come out on top by a small margin.  Unless I'm able to borrow something else to compare and find that it's much better, I'll be sticking with the PLD4.5's.  The built in processing and channel flexibility fits the bill for me at the moment.

Note: the amps have pretty conservative limiting when set to Auto in case you end up getting them.  Also, I'd consider getting 2.

Have you run your current subs with any other amplifiers? The place I want to buy from has a 15% restocking fee and would prefer not to waste $300 if it's just that...a waste. Like it was said before, the PLX3402 on subs was not what I was looking for and the RMX4050s are definitely a step up.

Josh

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 11:11:03 PM »

Have you run your current subs with any other amplifiers?

Not enough to adequately compare them.  I used them once on bridged QSC PL224's but have not done a direct comparison with the PLD's.  Sorry I can't provide any more useful info.

David Hoover

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 09:19:04 AM »

I have 4x 1,000 watt RMS Subwoofers I've had on RMX4050 amps and want to get rid of them (they are getting old) and replace them with something newer. Does anybody have any experience with these amps? Are they robust enough for subwoofer duty? Are they reliable? All my subs on one amp sounds a little scary.

Josh Billings

Josh, I use this amp every week.  It is in two channel mode powering two Danley Sound Labs SH96 speakers.  As far as sound quality - at it's price point it is amazing.  It blows away the Powerlight PL340 amps we tested against it.  The PLD 4.5 is very smooth, very clean, and very defined like butter.  In comparison, a PL340 has audible distortion at all frequencies and sounds harsh and muddy in comparison.  The only problem is that we have just had our second QSC 4.5 amplifier die.  The first one spewed out horrible noise on it's own at -10dB.  This second one had some sort of power supply failure and it does not work at all now.  I am trying to get a new one for the weekend!!!

So - they SOUND GREAT at this price.  But, for some reason ours have kept dying.  If we have a third one die, we will be looking into another option.

David Hoover

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 09:23:43 AM »

Also, the peak power is usually a 20ms peak.  That's nothing.  So, just look at the sustained output numbers for your speakers.  Most amp can peak about 2dB higher than the sustained output.  2dB is 66% more power.  So, it's not real useful.  Maybe for a snare hit, but what else only lasts 20ms?  Not a whole lot.  Make sure you limit your speakers properly no matter what amp you use!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 09:23:43 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.