ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: EV Elx Vs ZLX.......Could do with advice  (Read 28823 times)

John Baker

EV Elx Vs ZLX.......Could do with advice
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:59:06 AM »

Hello I'm new here I have never posted before but read the posts a lot.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me , or had any experience with the EV Ranges mentioned above.
I was wondering if the ELX112P had any distinct advantages over the ZLX 12P.
The specs are very similar with the only major difference being the weight due to the ELX having a wooden cab.
If anyone has any " Real World " experience of using these I would be grateful to hear from them.

Many thanks

John

Thomas Le

Re: EV Elx Vs ZLX.......Could do with advice
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 09:40:12 AM »

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 09:53:52 AM »

I have no experience with ELX. I own one ZLX 15P and think it's crappy. It feels cheap, the build quality is poor and I think it sounds bad. It's inexpensive and you get what you pay for. I wouldn't recommend it.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 10:23:15 AM »

I own 4 ELX112ps. I use them for monitors and absolutely love them. They have very natural sound and get killer loud before feedback for their price point. I often have issues with monitors being too loud because they don't "sound" loud and we often forget that and push them harder than we need to.

Don't even think about paying full price for them. Check out all the online sites that allow you to make offers. I got mine for $465 each including free shipping.  I did buy 4 at one shot though.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:12:04 AM »

The ZLX is the cheapest powered box you can buy that doesn't totally suck out loud IMO, I have 4 12p's that do a good job with talking heads and DJs over subs, they work well as floor monitors too but are lacking when it comes to FOH live sound. The ELX is a step up from that and sounds better at higher levels but it doesn't get significantly louder. The Yamaha DXR gets louder than either of these and sounds better doing it.

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 11:15:04 AM »

I'm in a market where the ZLX's are better than what 90% of others have and the 10% have QSC.

I got tired of hearing beat up 1st gen EON's, Berhingers and Yammy Club Series at local shows, though I suspect a lot of the bad sound was also operator error.

When you cross the ZLX's over with a sub, which the DSP makes easy, I think they're fantastic for small to medium sized events. When you use them for speech, they're fantastic and they have a setting for it. Just don't try to make them do everything or expect them to work with 500 people.

A friend of mine uses them as monitors and hasn't had one complaint, though I've heard others complain on here that they throw sound at one's knees.

Now that I have a pair of ETX's, which are better than the ELX's, I'm even happier, but I don't regret buying the ZLX's one bit. Also, I already have the ELX 18" sub, which the ZLX pairs with better.

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 11:26:39 AM »

I own ELX-112 (passive) and ZLX-12p.  I use both for monitors and people like them saying they sound clear & natural.  Most of them are used to JRX and EONs as typical monitors.  I would not use either for mains unless it was for a coffee shop type setup.

Sound wise they are similar after you turn down the high end of the zlx by 3-5 clicks.  My elx are passive, so I don't have the processor tunings and the powered ones do seem to sound a little better when pushed hard but if you want louder you want better speakers anyway.

As for ruggedness and reliability, the ZLX uses wood screws into the plastic body while the ELX uses t-nuts.  The ZLX knobs protrude from the back of the cabinet which is a problem if you are not careful with them.  Beware that the ELX uses cheap texture paint rather than more standard truck bed liner type coating.  The ZLX will look better longer if you aren't uses cases or covers as long as the knobs don't break off.

Thomas Le

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »

Another alternative would be the new EON615, supposedly it's another animal with the "waveguide" on the woofer, though it hasn't shipped yet.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 03:49:10 PM »

I had the ZLX 12p's and Alto TS112a's here to try out as I was looking for a cheap pair of active speakers to use for small acoustic gigs and as monitors for my bigger pa. I have to say I really did not like the EV's! I found the sound was very hyped and unnatural. I also had some RCF 710a's, Yamaha DXR15's and higher priced KV2 Audio speakers here as reference.
I tried the EV's on all of their DSP settings but found they just didn't sound quite right. I personally preferred the Alto's to the EV ZLX's and ended up buying them. Obviously I preferred the KV2 Audio, RCF and Yamaha DXR's aswell ;)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 05:43:27 PM »

I use K10's, PRX612's - and when I  choose to go passive I use ELX112's for monitors according to how I feel on the day and the type of venue.  The musicians have said they can tell little difference between them. That is probably because I spend a lot of time getting them EQ'd, positioned correctly and I use decent mics.
If the ELX112P sounds similar (or better) than the passive version, I think you would be happy with them.
Our old keyboard player had the ZLX version and although it has a great DSP built in, it never quite sounded as warm as mine. FOH you might be happier with the ELX series due to that richer warm sound - for vocals this makes a big difference.
A great little speaker for the money and hard to beat !
I agree that the finish is poor ( one of the ways EV were able to save money I suppose) so get good covers and make sure you use them every time !! I do and I am crazy careful with my gear yet already have a couple of small areas with paint missing.
Have fun!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »

The ETX's are definitely a game-changer. Granted, they cost quite a bit more and so they should be better.

But if they also keep the ELX's and ZLX's is that just too much product - too confusing? I wonder if they'll update the ELX's or just drop 'em/merge them into a new version of the ZLX's maybe with better plastic and more power?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 11:37:13 PM »

The ETX's are definitely a game-changer. Granted, they cost quite a bit more and so they should be better.

But if they also keep the ELX's and ZLX's is that just too much product - too confusing? I wonder if they'll update the ELX's or just drop 'em/merge them into a new version of the ZLX's maybe with better plastic and more power?

Seth I think we have had this conversation, an OP please excuse the minor thread creep.  Do you have experience with QSC KW-122 and KW181?  Are the ETX18s and ETX12p a significant improvement over the QSX product in terms of SPL, Evenness and pattern control, sub subjective quality "punchiness", overall build quality etc?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 11:37:13 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.