ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FX Returns  (Read 5591 times)

Mike Spitzer

FX Returns
« on: March 23, 2011, 02:09:15 PM »

Hey guys. I was thinking I would like it better if I could control my fx returns with a fader instead of a pot. I have a few free channels. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to wire it up since it wouldn't be a stereo channel and I don't want to use two. Would I just run a TRS-TRS from the fx out to the line input? Or a TRS-TS? Does anybody else do this?

Thanks
-mS
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:29:47 PM by Mike Spitzer »

Brian Ehlers

• West Michigan
Re: FX Returns
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 05:56:48 PM »

Yes, many people return EFX (and other sends) to a regular channel input.  This typically gives you more EQ and routing options than using a board's dedicated return inputs.

If your EFX is outputting a stereo signal, and you want to use a single channel input on the board, you will need to combine the two signals using a resistor pad.  If you're not familiar with this approach of combining two signals, I believe the Rane website has an App note.  Of course, once you combine the two signals, you've lost any stereo information the EFX unit was creating.

A couple other hints:

1/  Make sure you don't have phantom power enabled on the input channel you're using (if the phantom power would actually be present on the connector you're plugging into).  Otherwise you might fry the output of the EFX unit.

2/  Make sure you don't take the EFX signal and send it right back out the Aux send you're using for EFX.  Otherwise you've created an infinite loop == feedback.

Mike Spitzer

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 07:51:05 AM »

Thanks Brian. That's exactly what I was looking for. I assumed I needed to combine the signals, but I wasn't exactly sure how to go about that.

As for the stereo signal, this is primarily for my lead vocals, so I run them right down the middle anyway.

And thanks for the advice on the phantom power and aux loop. Phantom power on my board only goes out of the mix input, so I'm good there, but I could definitely see an aux being turned up just a little bit by accident.

-mS

Matthias Heitzer

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 09:21:53 AM »

Perhaps you have to adjust your FX presets afterwards.
Especially modulation/ chorus effects are sometimes not mono compatible.

Not a big problem usually, but something you don't want to run into in the middle of a service

Mike Spitzer

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 09:26:56 AM »

Thanks. I'm dealing with a little reverb and sometimes delay. I don't like to lay fx on too thick. I figured I'd play around with it during worship practice and see how it does, but wanted to make sure I knew kind of what I was doing before I got there. =)

Just curious; what is it about chorus effects that makes them incompatible with mono? I had a chorus option on my fx box when I used to play guitar, but I've never dealt with it from FOH, so I'm not sure how it would behave there.

-mS

Matthias Heitzer

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 11:25:19 AM »

Some effects include a phase shift and /or time offsets between L and R, summing them to mono causes cancellation.
No big problem, but it can sound weird.

Mike Spitzer

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 11:26:15 AM »

That makes sense. Thanks.

-mS

Brian Ehlers

• West Michigan
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 12:35:14 PM »

I figured I'd play around with it during worship practice and see how it does, ...
You might want to make sure you have little, if any, EFX going to your monitors while you play, lest you distract your singers.  Or at least warn them you will be experimenting.  Of course, maybe you don't put any EFX in the monitors.  I like to, as it gives the less professional singers a little boost of confidence, sort of like singing in the shower.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 11:46:08 AM »

You might want to set the unit to 100% wet(effects only coming out of the unit if you haven't already) so it doesnt dilute the effect any.
Hey guys. I was thinking I would like it better if I could control my fx returns with a fader instead of a pot. I have a few free channels. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to wire it up since it wouldn't be a stereo channel and I don't want to use two. Would I just run a TRS-TRS from the fx out to the line input? Or a TRS-TS? Does anybody else do this?

Thanks
-mS

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 11:46:08 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.