ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: should i buy 12 Turbosound TMS-3 for outdoor concerts?  (Read 21266 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: should i buy 12 Turbosound TMS-3 for outdoor concerts?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 11:48:18 AM »

Michael...

You need to think of this in terms of SPL (sound level) over area.  Rate your system in this regard, not by how many people.  Coverage area is the key.

Don't forget that to get the most out of whatever system you get, you must deploy it properly and power it properly.  This means that you will have to use either scaffolding or towers to get the speakers up in the clear air to carry well and to help balance the sound level front to back.

You will also want to invest in a good diesel generator and educate yourself on power supply, use and safety.  But you probably have given this some thought, I hope.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 12:07:21 PM »

I like what your saying, that's why I might go with these line arrays from china. in my country we have no big sound company. when there is a large concert they have to bring equipment from neighboring country and that costs the concert promoters $30k. So we want to do this because it is lucrative, but we also love live sound. I never thought about repairs, so that's something to think about. Thanks again

Michael, I see the welcoming committee has already introduced themselves. ;)  If you were in the USA or almost anywhere in Europe, I'd have other suggestions.

That said, I think they will be better than ANY Chinese bastardisation of another manufacturer's line array.  Operated within their design limits I think you'll be happier with the Turbo and benefit from having a known brand name system.

But with the expected program material and the size of the physical area you expect to cover, that you would have little or no immediate competition won't matter much if you consistently try to make it go louder than it can and spend all your profits on repairs and service.  Also note that the TMS-3 were introduced in 1981 - 33 years ago.  Some parts are no longer made at all, requiring creative solutions to make repairs.  The most likely things to fail are also the most likely to not have parts stock.  If you wish to purchase this rig you'll need to make sure it's in good working order (inspect it yourselves, every transducer should get a sine wave sweep to verify proper operation).

You have a very small amount of capital to work with while trying to assemble an arena-size PA.  Making enough sound for 10,000 people (presumably enthusiastic and loud fans) indoors is not a trivial exercise and it takes much, much more PA to produce an equivalent sonic experience outdoors.  Hip hop requires 4x the subwoofers over a more conventional (less bass-intensive) music.  Upon reflection I don't see the TMS rig surviving an outdoor hip hop festival.  Maybe not even the first performer...

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:10:54 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 01:27:55 PM »

For what it's worth, if the Bass Maxx subs are B2's (Never heard of an L2) then they are pretty damn good, and worth the asking price alone.

Honestly, this sounds like it's "too good to be true". I would make sure it's not stolen gear. That price is just over 300 dollars per box, and that is cheaper than even the raw drivers would bring.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ian Mansfield

• Multimedia Entertainment Group
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 01:37:07 PM »

Hi Michael, I am based in South Africa, there was a truck load of TMS 3 kit running here, and I agree, with most of the people, it will sound better than the Chinese stuff. However the smoothness of the Turbo's would require you to push them very hard for the sound you looking for. I would look for used JBL SRX or similar considering your budget. Dont know the subs, but for outdoor you need a lot of sub.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 04:06:48 PM »

Michael,

Instead of buying Chinese junk why not just find a toilet and flush your hard earned money down the drain. I'm not trying to be a smartass here, I'm being realistic.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Doug.Jane

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 04:18:56 PM »

I'm with Bob. With a budget of 15k you don't even have enough money to buy what you need in mikes and mixers and cables. And what about freight from the US to your country?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 04:24:57 PM »

I'm with Bob. With a budget of 15k you don't even have enough money to buy what you need in mikes and mixers and cables. And what about freight from the US to your country?

Kickstarter?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 04:38:26 PM »

I wanna just load a nice sized rig into a shipping container and just move over there. It could be profitable. :D 32 VTX25s, 48 G28s, maybe an SL320 or two...
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 09:08:48 PM »

There is a reason why the competition charges 30k per show, that's how much it costs to maintain, deploy and have some return on capital.

I think it odd that you want to invest 15k and expect to compete.

It was also mentioned about all of the other things you need: amplification, processing, support, mixers, MIC's, cables it's endless.  Heck you need 15k just in cables. 

The Chinese line array is also ill thought out.  Line arrays are complex devices, you need vendor support, DSP tunings, data for coverage prediction.  You won't get any of this and you will hang them up and wonder why they don't work.

Lastly, you say you know recording, do you possesses the skills to run a show of this size?  If not you will need to hire riggers and engineers in addition to your support staff and crew. 

"Think McFly Think"

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Michael Ray

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 08:14:55 AM »

There is a reason why the competition charges 30k per show, that's how much it costs to maintain, deploy and have some return on capital.

I think it odd that you want to invest 15k and expect to compete.

It was also mentioned about all of the other things you need: amplification, processing, support, mixers, MIC's, cables it's endless.  Heck you need 15k just in cables. 

The Chinese line array is also ill thought out.  Line arrays are complex devices, you need vendor support, DSP tunings, data for coverage prediction.  You won't get any of this and you will hang them up and wonder why they don't work.

Lastly, you say you know recording, do you possesses the skills to run a show of this size?  If not you will need to hire riggers and engineers in addition to your support staff and crew. 

"Think McFly Think"

"im thinking"... I wish i had more than 15k, but all i have once i quit my dead end job to pursue this dream. I am a 28 year old MBA grad who cant find an entry level job due to inexperience. I have already purchased a stage for rental and that was the initial company I was going to start, but I found that sound would be more lucrative. So i bought some small stuff to do weddings and medium sized concerts. I have 2 of each of the following subs yorkville tx9, ls2100p, ls1208, ls808. and I was going to pair them depending on the size of the events with jbl jrx125 (i have 10 of these). for smaller wedding type events i have 2 yorkvile ex2 (the 2 highs and sub) and then have 2 powered jbl 18" subs and 2 qsc k12. I have mixers and lighting. Ive been slowly buying stuff of craigslist. I have 5k in my savings to worry about processors and extra cables and stuff. As you can see Im trying. I still want to know if the turbosound are good for the kind of music I want to do. They fall into my budget. Larger concerts would make more money rather than moving to Africa just to kinda get by. Ive helped set up PAs before, I just dont have experience with these old models (how they sound).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:38:49 AM by Michael Ndaribamare »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 08:14:55 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.