ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker placement suggestions...  (Read 5143 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Speaker placement suggestions...
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 10:57:00 am »

You might try a local rental house for tilters.  They make make the difference between "I could hear people speaking' and "wow, I heard everyone so clearly, like there were no speakers being used, we need to invite this guy back next year".

Not so much about tilters but about "I heard everyone so clearly."

About 10 years ago we were brought in to do a huge "round table" (it was rectangular) discussion for an association of state parks/wildlife managers, including various federal agency representatives (USFW, USFS, BLM, DoI etc).  I designed a distributed system of JF80s on the insides of the rectangle and drove it from 6 matrix sends to do "mix-minus" kind of setup, with an SM58 on a desk stand for every 2 persons (30 inputs, plus lectern and head table, and walk-up Q&A).  Because it was a chaired discussion we could manually mix inputs when participants were recognized by the chairman.  We also fed an overflow area and media distribution.  The prize comment came from the guy with the US Fish & Wildlife Service - "I go to a dozen of these meetings a year, this is the first one where I could hear and understand everything that was said."

That was back in the analog, Olde Skool Dayz.  While the mixing would be different today, I'm not sure I'd change the speaker setup or mix-minus matrix.  These days I also might hire in a conferencing/congress mic system to make setup and cabling easier, and use the conferencing system to do some of my zoning stems.  Dugan auto mixing of the stems would be icing on the cake.

So what's with this big long self-back slap?  To validate Dick Rees' excellent advice.  For Chris, I think the part that needs careful attention is the attendees speaking from their tables.  Hand-held wireless mic getting passed around to persons with a wide variety of mic skills....  Making this part work will be the key to your client's satisfaction.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Speaker placement suggestions...
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 10:57:00 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 23 queries.