ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker placement suggestions...  (Read 7241 times)

Chris Edwards

Re: Speaker placement suggestions...
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 07:00:22 PM »

Knowing what type of speakers you have might help.

You gave the dimensions of the room-but what is the intended seating area?  And in relation to the stage.

For all we know the stage is sticking out into the room and you have seating areas that are behind the front of the stage.  That is very common.

DETAILS ARE very important.

Generalizations can-at best-result in very general answers that may not help you at all.

Ivan,

Speakers are KV2 EX-12s.

The seating area is 15 round tables of ten guest situated in two thirds of the room.  The stage is located on the end on one of the short sides.  The dancefloor is in front of that.  The stage is not the focus until the dancing starts as all speeches will be in the seating are.  I am on my phone now and will try to post a diagram later.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 07:53:08 PM »

Ivan,

Speakers are KV2 EX-12s.

The seating area is 15 round tables of ten guest situated in two thirds of the room.  The stage is located on the end on one of the short sides.  The dancefloor is in front of that.  The stage is not the focus until the dancing starts as all speeches will be in the seating are.  I am on my phone now and will try to post a diagram later.
Earlier when you said the layout was "short" I assumed the "throw" was short and the speakers were spread out along the long wall for a wide coverage

But now it seems as if the the throw is "long" and narrow coverage.

I also assumed from your post that the dance floor was not in front of the stage-but now it appears as if it might be.

I have seen all sorts of weird setups over the years-and you cannot "assume" that everything is the same in every situation.

HENCE the reason for details.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 08:00:07 PM »

.  The job will consist of pre-recorded music and some speeches from guests at their tables on the main floor. Two thirds of the room will be used for dining while the other third is for dancing later in the evening.

Here's the deal:

Per the highlighted, underlined above, you don't want the seating/dining area covered by delay speakers.  People will, according to the above description, be speaking from the tables.  Putting the speeches from various points in the seating area through speakers delayed from the stage will be off-putting, to say the least.  What the venue is suggesting is broad, even coverage from speakers on both sides of the area.  I'll bet money on that.

So I'd do two zones:

1.  Speakers covering the seating area, no delays, speaking mics flexibly routed so you can lower the mic in any speaker if it's being used directly in front of the speaker (feedback prevention). 

2.  Music for dancing from a system set up at the stage.  You can then use the "speaking" speakers as delays at a very low level in the seating area IF DESIRED by the presenter.

You definitely do NOT want the speeches coming 90 degrees off axis from delay speakers.  Say what you will about "surround sound" from the perimeter of the seating area, but for this application it IS the right way to do it.

DR, grumpy as ever... 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Chris Edwards

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 11:37:05 PM »

Here's the deal:

Per the highlighted, underlined above, you don't want the seating/dining area covered by delay speakers.  People will, according to the above description, be speaking from the tables.  Putting the speeches from various points in the seating area through speakers delayed from the stage will be off-putting, to say the least.  What the venue is suggesting is broad, even coverage from speakers on both sides of the area.  I'll bet money on that.

So I'd do two zones:

1.  Speakers covering the seating area, no delays, speaking mics flexibly routed so you can lower the mic in any speaker if it's being used directly in front of the speaker (feedback prevention). 

2.  Music for dancing from a system set up at the stage.  You can then use the "speaking" speakers as delays at a very low level in the seating area IF DESIRED by the presenter.

You definitely do NOT want the speeches coming 90 degrees off axis from delay speakers.  Say what you will about "surround sound" from the perimeter of the seating area, but for this application it IS the right way to do it.

DR, grumpy as ever...

The floor plan is attached.  The dancefloor is the blank area in front of the stage labeled DJ.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 11:45:15 PM »

OK.  Another alternative would be two speakers, one either side of the head table facing down the hall.  Separate  system at the other end for the DJ.

4 SOS and done.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 12:50:58 AM »

The floor plan is attached.  The dancefloor is the blank area in front of the stage labeled DJ.

If I understand the floorplan, there are 13 round tables for the dining guests, but no head table. The venue is suggesting three speakers outboard of the 1-4 tables, and three outboard of 9-13. Do I have the layout right?

In regards tilt adapters, most tilt adapters do not offset the center of gravity/center of balance. That will make your speakers even more unstable at height. If I had a choice, I would use a speaker stand with the widest possible footprint. I have some Ultimate TS99 stands with a wider tripod footprint, which helps stabilty when fully extended (they are taller than the TS90 stands).  FWIW, I have cabinets with dual-hole pole sockets that allow a -10 degree tilt. The K&M expanding mandrel is very nice and very secure - I have sub poles with that feature.  Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Rick Powell

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 01:10:35 AM »

In regards tilt adapters, most tilt adapters do not offset the center of gravity/center of balance. That will make your speakers even more unstable at height.

These do, at a price.

http://www.bt-12.com/index.php

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 01:46:19 AM »

These do, at a price.

http://www.bt-12.com/index.php

I've seen links to that unit before; hence my "most tilt adapters" comment. I hadn't bothered to look at the price before, however. Yikes!  I'm glad I don't need three pairs of them ....  Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 04:49:12 AM »

These tilters are reasonably priced, and have a COG adjustment (that you do manually with a wrench, one time setup.
  Downside is they re fixed at 15% (probably perfect for this venue) and they appear to be discontinued.

Edit: I forgot to say which tilters I was talking bout, its the K&M fixed 15 degree tilters....

You might try a local rental house for tilters.  They make make the difference between "I could hear people speaking' and "wow, I heard everyone so clearly, like there were no speakers being used, we need to invite this guy back next year".

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 03:42:14 PM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 09:40:26 AM »

OP,
What type of board will you be using.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 09:40:26 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.