ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker placement suggestions...  (Read 5146 times)

Chris Edwards

Speaker placement suggestions...
« on: August 18, 2014, 05:12:13 pm »

I'm providing sound for an event next week in a room that measures 120' x 50'.  The room is an old bank so we are talking marble and concrete for the walls and floor.  The venue manager recommended 6 SOS to help with the sound.  I can see their logic and may follow the advice.  The job will consist of pre-recorded music and some speeches from guests at their tables on the main floor.  Two thirds of the room will be used for dining while the other third is for dancing later in the evening. 

My main concerns are speaker placement to help with the reverb and if feedback issues.  I was also thinking of incorporating subs near the dancefloor for the dancing portion. 

Thoughts?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Speaker placement suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:16:18 pm »

What's the orientation...longways or short?

Use as few as possible.  Get them up as high as possible and tilt them down.  Accept no excuses NOT to...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Chris Edwards

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 05:27:03 pm »

What's the orientation...longways or short?

Use as few as possible.  Get them up as high as possible and tilt them down.  Accept no excuses NOT to...

I will say the orientation will be short. The venue stated that they do 3 speakers on both sides of the room along the long sides.

The dancefloor portion is at one end of the room but it is not the focus of the night until later in the evening.  During the first portion of the evening it will just be background music and speeches from the dinner tables (not my call).

I can get the speakers up high but I do not have a tilt option on the cabinets.  That is a great idea though.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 05:35:09 pm »

Buy tilt adaptors for your stands.

Personally, I'd go with four instead of 6, but you want the venue/sponsor to be comfortable.  But no matter what, tilting is a good thing.

They must be thinking of three/side facing the middle.  OK for voice, I guess, but you'll want something else entirely to cover the dance floor....another system, probably.

Wire up the six facing speakers such that you can take the speaking mic(s) out of the one which they're standing in front of...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 05:42:20 pm »

2 speakers at front with 2 more pairs along the sides progressively delayed to the front pair to maximize intelligibility for the speaking portion of the event, and when the dance starts turn these second two pairs off.

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 06:02:38 pm »

Possibly the best deal on speaker tilters and prime delivery if you have it.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WB511A/

Chris Edwards

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 06:12:22 pm »

Possibly the best deal on speaker tilters and prime delivery if you have it.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WB511A/

What is the weight limit on these?  My cabinets are 62lbs.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 06:40:38 pm »

What is the weight limit on these?  My cabinets are 62lbs.

According to K&M the max load for this tilter is 25 kg.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 06:51:12 pm »

I'm providing sound for an event next week in a room that measures 120' x 50'.  The room is an old bank so we are talking marble and concrete for the walls and floor.  The venue manager recommended 6 SOS to help with the sound.  I can see their logic and may follow the advice.  The job will consist of pre-recorded music and some speeches from guests at their tables on the main floor.  Two thirds of the room will be used for dining while the other third is for dancing later in the evening. 

My main concerns are speaker placement to help with the reverb and if feedback issues.  I was also thinking of incorporating subs near the dancefloor for the dancing portion. 

Thoughts?
Knowing what type of speakers you have might help.

You gave the dimensions of the room-but what is the intended seating area?  And in relation to the stage.

For all we know the stage is sticking out into the room and you have seating areas that are behind the front of the stage.  That is very common.

DETAILS ARE very important.

Generalizations can-at best-result in very general answers that may not help you at all.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 06:59:02 pm »

2 speakers at front with 2 more pairs along the sides progressively delayed to the front pair to maximize intelligibility for the speaking portion of the event, and when the dance starts turn these second two pairs off.

+1

I've done this same set up a few times with good results. In a long room without delayed speakers it's difficult to get the speaking voices to the back of the room without blasting the people in the front. Height is important like Dick said so the delayed speakers aren't right in the faces of people farther back in the room.

I always use a separate post fader auxiliary for the each pair of delayed speakers so you can have volume control over each and give a separate mix. You may not want to turn them off completely when the music starts. Maybe add a little vocals or guitars ect. Gives you more flexibility.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:10:31 pm by Jamin Lynch »
MAGA-Make Audio Great Again

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 06:59:02 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 22 queries.