ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LS9, Dante module and Garageband 10  (Read 10656 times)

chris broadway

LS9, Dante module and Garageband 10
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:09:46 PM »

I am trying to get my new Dante module that is inserted into my LS9 to successfully record to Garageband 10.  I have the Dante controller and virtual soundcard both installed with the newest firmware for my MAC.  I can see the soundcard is on and the controller has the TX/RX mappings.  On garage band I create a new track and change the input and output to the dante virtual sound card and select input 1 (channel one on the LS9 is a vocal).  I enable the track for recording and then record.  I do not see any frequency showing garage band is receiving the signal.  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 04:20:35 PM by chris broadway »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Dante module and Garageband 10
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »

I am trying to get my new Dante module that is inserted into my LS9 to successfully record to Garageband 10.  I have the Dante controller and virtual soundcard both installed with the newest firmware for my MAC.  I can see the soundcard is on and the controller has the TX/RX mappings.  On garage band I create a new track and change the input and output to the dante virtual sound card and select input 1 (channel one on the LS9 is a vocal).  I enable the track for recording and then record.  I do not see any frequency showing garage band is receiving the signal.  Any suggestions?

Have you chosen DVS as the audio I/O in Garageband, and in the Mac system preferences?

Mac

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 09:56:02 AM »

Also, wht do you mean by "I do not see any frequency showing garage band is receiving the signal", what is 'frequency'?

Are you doing the TX/RX channel mappings in DVC or in the LS9? 

I've never used an LS9, but I suspect that somewhere in the LS9 you will need to tell it where to pick off the Dante signals, e.g. as direct outs on each channel,...  So there are 2 mappings you may have to deal with, the LS9 mapping to feed Dante, and the mapping of Dante channels within DVC
Mark McFarlane

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »

Also, wht do you mean by "I do not see any frequency showing garage band is receiving the signal", what is 'frequency'?

Are you doing the TX/RX channel mappings in DVC or in the LS9? 

I've never used an LS9, but I suspect that somewhere in the LS9 you will need to tell it where to pick off the Dante signals, e.g. as direct outs on each channel,...  So there are 2 mappings you may have to deal with, the LS9 mapping to feed Dante, and the mapping of Dante channels within DVC

Dante cards in the LS/9 or M7 show up in Expansion Slot setup page.  The i/o routing is assigned from it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

chris broadway

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 07:33:50 PM »

Dante cards in the LS/9 or M7 show up in Expansion Slot setup page.  The i/o routing is assigned from it.

Tim- thanks. I made the module to direct channel in the expansion slot setup and now see an input frequency wave on garage band when recording.  Any idea why I can't hear the playback?

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 11:55:48 PM »

Tim- thanks. I made the module to direct channel in the expansion slot setup and now see an input frequency wave on garage band when recording.  Any idea why I can't hear the playback?

Probably the same problem, you need to route each Dante channel to a channel input on the LS-9.
Mark McFarlane

chris broadway

Re: LS9, Dante module and Garageband 10
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »

Probably the same problem, you need to route each Dante channel to a channel input on the LS-9.

today I was onsite and able to try to fix the issue.  As a recap, the channel on the LS9 is the direct out pointing to the Dante module.  For example, channel one on LS9 to direct out slot 2-1.  The Dante controller has the TX and RX mappings between the Dante Module and Virtual Sound card.  I have tracks on Garageband using the controller and virtual sound card inputs (LS9 channel one is controller and virtual sound card input one).  Garageband preferences are to use the virtual sound card for input and output.  I can record musicians playing.  When I change the garageband preference output to use the MAC computer speakers I can hear the recorded music.  When I change the preference output back to using the virtual sound card I hear nothing.  The LS9 channel fader is up, non muted, and the master fader is up and not muted.
"
I changed the channel input from "IN 1" to "slot 2-1" and did not hear anything.  Any other thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:44:35 PM by chris broadway »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »

I know on the M7CL the patch screen shows little level meters beside each patch point, so I assume the LS9 does as well. When you go to the Input patch screen, do you see signal at slot 2-1?
If not, then the compute isn't sending anything. Check the track output settings (for each individual track) in Garageband to see that they're routed to the Dante channel that connects to slot 2-1 on the Dante card on the Yamaha.
Also open up the Dante Controller software and see if the inputs and outputs are patched properly.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 12:21:38 AM »

I changed the channel input from "IN 1" to "slot 2-1" and did not hear anything.  Any other thoughts?

Is Garage Band configured to output L or R or channel 1 on slot 2-1?

Is the Dante card in Slot 2?
Mark McFarlane

chris broadway

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 05:50:49 PM »

Is Garage Band configured to output L or R or channel 1 on slot 2-1?

Is the Dante card in Slot 2?

The Dante Module is in slot two (Aviom was already in slot one).  When I create a track I first verify the input and output is the dante virtual soundcard and then I select input 1.  I have not been able to actually find a specific output channel for an individual track.  My assumption was that selecting "input 1" meant input and output.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 05:50:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.