ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting/odd forum post...  (Read 6941 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Interesting/odd forum post...
« on: August 16, 2014, 08:54:47 PM »

So my dad's upright freezer quit working a few weeks ago and I was doing some research on trying to repair it and I came across this post:

What are your thoughts on this gentlemen?

Here's a bit more context if it helps:

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: Interesting/odd forum post...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 09:09:57 PM »

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that the instruction manual directions are intended to prevent the use of an extension cord or a ground lift ("cheater plug").  Maybe not to prevent those uses, but to avoid liability if/when somebody does either of those things.   Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »

So my dad's upright freezer quit working a few weeks ago and I was doing some research on trying to repair it and I came across this post:

What are your thoughts on this gentlemen?
If it was a common problem, the freezer manufacturer and power utility would have a duel at dawn to settle the dispute. More likely they would have thrown lawyers at each other.

If it is a common, known problem, the manufacturer would redesign their freezer to survive. Customers always blame the manufacturer first, but with enough incidents the utility has to buy people new freezers. 
Here's a bit more context if it helps:

I suspect the power utility would be pretty accommodating about helping you prevent future freezer failures, especially if their distribution was implicated in the problem.

Note: an internet post is not proof that the utility is at fault.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 03:41:22 AM »

Note: an internet post is not proof that the utility is at fault.

What??? There's something on the Internet that's WRONG?  :o

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 06:52:12 PM »

Whole house surge protection is a wonderful thing. I have had it in my current residence and in the previous two.

Obviously you can not say for sure that it saved anything if you don't know there are surge events happening, but I definitely do not generally have trouble with things going bad.

It is a parallel mode brick of MOV's installed on my power panel as close to the meter as possible.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 07:30:28 PM »

Whole house surge protection is a wonderful thing. I have had it in my current residence and in the previous two.

Obviously you can not say for sure that it saved anything if you don't know there are surge events happening, but I definitely do not generally have trouble with things going bad.

It is a parallel mode brick of MOV's installed on my power panel as close to the meter as possible.

I lost one TV set to lightning/surge back when I had cable, since going satellite I haven't lost any appliances. I blame the cable and old TV set design for that melt down.

I do not put much value in anecdotal WWW stories but here's another one.  ;D ;D  I did call MS Power the night my outlets were up to 140V and still climbing.  ???  They did not believe me but came out, confirmed my measurement, then fixed it at their substation, miles from my house.

I guess a whole house surge protector would have got a serious workout from my steady-state constant mains over-voltage.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 09:43:43 PM »

Not applicable to refrigerators (except for the ones with built-in TVs and brains that send you a message on your mobile device to buy milk), but other utilities are often overlooked for surge protection. You can certainly get damaging surges through the TV cable, phone line, and any other copper wire that comes into your house from the outside, including the satellite dish on the roof. With interconnection, surges can travel through these communication lines from device to device killing multiple appliances. A lightning strike hitting the TV cable out on the pole at the street could take out your receiver then propagate through the HDMI cable to your TV, then back to your XBox, through the CAT5 Ethernet to your modem/switch, then to your PC, then fry your iPod that's plugged in the PC's USB port. Better hope you don't have the earbuds in!

Yes, I've seen something similar happen. Multiple components toasted, all in a row. At least there were no earbuds involved.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 10:07:26 PM »

Not applicable to refrigerators (except for the ones with built-in TVs and brains that send you a message on your mobile device to buy milk), but other utilities are often overlooked for surge protection. You can certainly get damaging surges through the TV cable, phone line, and any other copper wire that comes into your house from the outside, including the satellite dish on the roof. With interconnection, surges can travel through these communication lines from device to device killing multiple appliances. A lightning strike hitting the TV cable out on the pole at the street could take out your receiver then propagate through the HDMI cable to your TV, then back to your XBox, through the CAT5 Ethernet to your modem/switch, then to your PC, then fry your iPod that's plugged in the PC's USB port. Better hope you don't have the earbuds in!

Yes, I've seen something similar happen. Multiple components toasted, all in a row. At least there were no earbuds involved.
To chase this rabbit a little bit, what kind of surge protector would help this situation if any? I know they make them with coaxial in/out and phone in/out.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 10:44:25 PM »

To chase this rabbit a little bit, what kind of surge protector would help this situation if any? I know they make them with coaxial in/out and phone in/out.
The few coax/phone protectors I've seen have far lower joule ratings than for the power lines, as though they are an afterthought. What I'm curious about is if anyone makes one for a balanced audio signal (XLR in/out). That could be useful when you have an audio feed to another building on campus, or are feeding to a TV truck that's on a different power source, or even for the outdoor festival that has to shut down due to weather. What's to protect FOH from a strike to the stage roof structure*? I just not convinced an isolation transformer is going to be much help here!

* I know, a digital snake connected by fiber.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 09:07:56 AM »

* I know, a digital snake connected by fiber.
Well, if you already know the answer....... :D
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 09:07:56 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.