ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I sell my SRX system??  (Read 21280 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Should I sell my SRX system??
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 06:44:26 PM »

As someone who owns PRX 612/618xlf, SRX 715/718 and Danley SM80/TH 118, I say definitely keep the SRX. If setup and processed properly the SRX is superior to PRX in sound quality and output potential.

FWIW the Danley rig completely destroys anything in the SRX class.

Are you talking just 2 SM80 over 2 TH118?  I've read a lot of good stuff regarding these small boxes. Are yours powered?

I've run my friends SRX system many times, and while I love my PRX system the SRX really sounds great, and hardly breaks a sweat. If I were upgrading today I would be looking for a lightweight, powdered system that is a level or two above the PRX. The Danley's seem to fit this bill.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 07:29:12 PM »

Jonathan… that is what I meant by "There are far superior systems out there" but as Chuck pointed out, the weight consideration is huge for small time operators like me and Danley is up there in poundage ….

65lbs is "up there" in poundage?  Yes there are lighter cabinets-but 65lbs for the SM80 is not real heavy-considering the output capability.

The TH118 sub is 160lbs, but it rolls around and loads into all sorts of vehicles real easy.  In most cases you would simply tilt it back and roll (anybody can do it) and when you get to the location you want it-just tilt it forward and you are done.

Very rarely do you actually pick it up.  And when you consider how many other subs it takes the place of-it is small and light.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 08:35:49 PM »

65lbs is "up there" in poundage?  Yes there are lighter cabinets-but 65lbs for the SM80 is not real heavy-considering the output capability.

The TH118 sub is 160lbs, but it rolls around and loads into all sorts of vehicles real easy.  In most cases you would simply tilt it back and roll (anybody can do it) and when you get to the location you want it-just tilt it forward and you are done.

Very rarely do you actually pick it up.  And when you consider how many other subs it takes the place of-it is small and light.

65 lbs is fine and not heavy at all (till the load out at 2.00am - but then so is 34 lbs at that time of the morning )…I was referring more to the subs. Wheels do make a difference though - I wish my SRX 718s and PRX718s had them sometimes even though they are only 78 and 82 Lbs in weight. I use dollies most of the time but its not the same as having wheels attached…

From what I have been told, the Danley boxes are very nice indeed - I need to get to hear some!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 08:47:45 PM »

From what I have been told, the Danley boxes are very nice indeed - I need to get to hear some!
There is an install in your area (I seem to remember you are near Raleigh NC) at the Cary theater.  Not the cabinets we are talking about, but you might can get an idea.

They have the SM100Bs (LCR), Sh micros (surrounds) and TH112s (subs).

There are probably others near you-but I don't know off the top of my head.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 08:52:31 PM »

65 lbs is fine and not heavy at all (till the load out at 2.00am - but then so is 34 lbs at that time of the morning )…I was referring more to the subs. Wheels do make a difference though - I wish my SRX 718s and PRX718s had them sometimes even though they are only 78 and 82 Lbs in weight. I use dollies most of the time but its not the same as having wheels attached…

My 4719's are 167lbs and I don't have any trouble with them on a dolly and I have a bad back.  The big plus for the dolly over wheels is when you come to stairs.  On a dolly, two guys can get up and down stairs "fairly" easily.  And the big pneumatic tires roll over uneven ground, curbs, thresholds and whatnot much better than wheels.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 08:55:27 PM »

Are you talking just 2 SM80 over 2 TH118?  I've read a lot of good stuff regarding these small boxes. Are yours powered?

I, too, have this rig (2 SM80 over 2 TH118). I also have 2 SM80 over 4 TH115. The SM80 are passive only -- they're so small they can't fit an amp in the box. The subs come in both passive and powered versions, mine are all passive, seems to make sense with the passive tops. They are so stupid good I can't recommend them highly enough. Only problems I've had are people don't know the brand and some people who 'listen' with their 'eyes' and can't believe such a small system will be enough 'rig for the gig'. They save in so many ways... size, weight, space in the trailer, uncomplicated processing, fewer amps, etc., etc. They are expensive by themselves but when you add up all the other savings it's a much better deal in total.

*I* say sell your PRX rig, buy some Danleys and I bet you'll start leaving your SRX rig at home. :)
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 09:37:21 PM »

I, too, have this rig (2 SM80 over 2 TH118). I also have 2 SM80 over 4 TH115. The SM80 are passive only -- they're so small they can't fit an amp in the box. The subs come in both passive and powered versions, mine are all passive, seems to make sense with the passive tops. They are so stupid good I can't recommend them highly enough. Only problems I've had are people don't know the brand and some people who 'listen' with their 'eyes' and can't believe such a small system will be enough 'rig for the gig'. They save in so many ways... size, weight, space in the trailer, uncomplicated processing, fewer amps, etc., etc. They are expensive by themselves but when you add up all the other savings it's a much better deal in total.

*I* say sell your PRX rig, buy some Danleys and I bet you'll start leaving your SRX rig at home. :)

Now look what you've gone and done….. I just spent the last 40 minutes checking out what I can online about the Danleys…. They are really nice. I will not be tempted -I will not be tempted !!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 09:41:18 PM »

There is an install in your area (I seem to remember you are near Raleigh NC) at the Cary theater.  Not the cabinets we are talking about, but you might can get an idea.

They have the SM100Bs (LCR), Sh micros (surrounds) and TH112s (subs).

There are probably others near you-but I don't know off the top of my head.

We also have th118s and sh69s in our mobile rig, and sm60fs and th112s in another theater.   

Come on by whenever you want.   We have a large art festival next Saturday so all the spaces will be running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 09:46:32 PM »

We also have th118s and sh69s in our mobile rig, and sm60fs and th112s in another theater.   

Come on by whenever you want.   We have a large art festival next Saturday so all the spaces will be running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Cailen….I was just thinking that. I know you have invited me over a couple of times and I really should make the effort to get down there. I live north of Falls Lake so I don't get down that way usually unless running sound in that area.

Gotta get an early start next saturday for a private party in Moncure - not sure if we'll get time but we'll try to drop by. If not…I'll PM you and work out a time to come over….Thanks Cailen...

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 10:16:45 PM »

Here in the PNW SRX cabs would pop up locally on CL from time to time when they were in production. These days they are practically non-existent. Everyone's hanging onto them it seems.

I honestly think I'll keep my SRX-715s for the rest of my gigging life. Their 2431 HF driver (crossed over at 1.2khz) gives them a clarity and presence that I just don't hear when I listen to PRX systems. And at 48 pounds each... well it makes load in/out something I don't dread anymore.

I'm currently converting my rack over to lightweight power amps with front end DSP (something I brought up in a post last week). When done, it will won't be any more difficult to set up than if I were to go active.

Barring selling everything and going Danley (and I'm not even sure about that) I'd keep them myself.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 10:16:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.