ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connect Qlab to Digico SD11 via Midi  (Read 11213 times)

alexisbowles

Connect Qlab to Digico SD11 via Midi
« on: August 16, 2014, 11:23:41 am »

Hello Everyone,

I'm struggling to connect Qlab with my Digico SD 11. I want to trigger the next snapshot when I press go in Qlab with predefined midi cue with notes. 

I have read everything I could but can't find any solution.  Anyone has done this before ? Anyone has a how to from ?

Thanks in Advance,

Alexis

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Connect Qlab to Digico SD11 via Midi
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 02:19:17 pm »

I'm struggling to connect Qlab with my Digico SD 11. I want to trigger the next snapshot when I press go in Qlab with predefined midi cue with notes. 

How are you getting the Midi out of QLab? Do you want the Midi notes to represent individual scenes, or just "Go next cue"?

How Midi works in the SD series of consoles is explained in section 2.4.15 or the SD manual.

Mac

alexisbowles

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 02:48:03 pm »

How are you getting the Midi out of QLab? Do you want the Midi notes to represent individual scenes, or just "Go next cue"?

How Midi works in the SD series of consoles is explained in section 2.4.15 or the SD manual.

Mac

Thank you Mac,

I'm getting the midi out of Qlab with a usb-midi interface made by Roland.  I can see the signal pass thru and the console showed me that receive the signal. 

I have followed these instructions :

3.4.16 Snapshots and MIDI...........................................................
There are two separate areas of MIDI control:
1) A snapshot can have a MIDI Message attached to it, and will output that MIDI when fired. The MIDI message must be created in either
the Scope>MIDI Program panel or the Scope>MIDI List panel.
2) The firing of snapshots can be controlled by incoming MIDI messages on channel 16, and can cause these same messages to be
output in addition to any MIDI snapshots included in (1) above.
The Control By MIDI > MIDI Received Fires Snapshots button allows the Snapshot system to respond by default to the following incoming MIDI messages:
General Purpose Controller A (Controller 16); Values 1 to 127 will fire snapshots 1 to 127 General Purpose Controller B (Controller 17); Values 0 to 127 will fire snapshots 128 to 255 General Purpose Controller C (Controller 18); Values 0 to 127 will fire snapshots 256 to 383. General Purpose Controller D (Controller 19); Values 0 to 125 will fire snapshots 384 to 509. General Purpose Controller D (Controller 19); Value 126 will fire the previous snapshot in list. General Purpose Controller D (Controller 19); Value 127 will fire the next snapshot in list.
When active, the Fire Snapshot Sends MIDI button causes the above messages 1 to 509 (or customised versions - see below) to be sent whenever a snapshot button is pressed. Previous and Next buttons do not output MIDI messages of their own.
The specific MIDI messages that are being responded to can be edited in the Snapshot Control By MIDI panel.
3-18
To change the default message for any particular snapshot, select the snapshot and press the Change button to select a specific available controller number. The Clear button will remove the existing message completely.

But perhaps there's something I don't understand in Qlab.

What Command should I set my midi cue in q Lab ? I have no idea where to setup the adress 16,1 and I don't understand what are the controller A, B, C, D...

Any clue would be apreciated.

Thanks

Alexis.

Clive Alcock

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 11:33:46 am »

Hello Everyone,

I have read everything I could but can't find any solution.  Anyone has done this before ? Anyone has a how to from ?

Thanks in Advance,

Alexis
Hi Alexis,
I use a different Cue Control program (Multiplay) but it issues MIDI commands to recall scenes just as you are trying to do. Once setup and working I found it all extremely reliable so here's what you have to do.
1.     Confirm your sending MIDI channel and instruction set on QLab - Program change, control change, key velocity or whatever works for your setup, and values that go with it. Note that as in all
things MIDI, program 1 recall requires a MIDI data 0 and that offset carries on all through your snapshots.
2.     On the SD console go to the Snapshot screen and make sure all your snapshots are entered. When using a cue manager program it doesn't really matter what order they are in. At the bottom left
hand corner of the snapshot screen make sure that the "Control by MIDI" button is selected. You should then see a floating MIDI assignment screen pop up labelled "Snapshot Control by MIDI".
Make sure that the "MIDI received fires Snapshot" button is selected. Here you can edit the MIDI receive trigger for each snapshot.
Take a look at the attached file (Screen Cap SD8 Midi assign.png) for a picture.
3.      On the Snapshot Screen, under Scope, is a button labelled "MIDI List" Select that and check the popup screen labelled "Snapshot MIDI List". There are several columns beside each snapshot name, but the most important for you is the first one curiously labelled "Act". It means active and if there is no green check mark in that box, your cue recall will not work, so make sure it is ticked.
(see attached file Screen Cap SD8 Midi list).
4.      That is all you need to do and your Q-Lab software should seamlessly recall all your cues.

I find that in general the Digico manuals and general instructions can be vague and seem to be always out of date with the current software. So there are a few gotchas that you need to keep in mind.
a)     If you change the order of the snapshots on the desk, all the MIDI values will change. So don't
do that unless absolutely necessary. If you insert a snapshot so it gets a decimal value (e.g. Snapshot 5.5 between 5 & 6) then you need to use a second data value in Q-Lab to recall it.
It's more manageable to add revisions and new snapshots to the end of the list or overwrite an existing one so there are no fractional cues. (You can renumber the whole list in the desk if you so desire).
b)     There are many other MIDI functions on the desk where it is not clearly indicated that they only apply to outgoing MIDI messages e.g. when you want to control an external device from a scene change on the desk. You don't need any of those in your situation.

By the way, both Avid desks and Yamaha desks accept MIDI program change information in the same format and manner to recall snapshots. If you can get it well enough organised you can use the same data set and QLab program for these desks as well; however it also means that all your snapshots have to be in the same order and have the same scene numbers. This is something that I have been
working on because I do not always have my first choice of desk on shows.

Good Luck
Clive Alcock
FOH Diana Krall

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 11:33:46 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.