ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rained out how do you handle things??  (Read 4486 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Rained out how do you handle things??
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 09:50:58 AM »

I am sure I am exaggerating.  I have some good friends and we keep up with the yard and stuff.  Its just weird lots of couples in there 30's that paid way more than we did for the houses...have big payments and new ideas.   They knew this wasn't a deed restricted community so I don't know what they expect.  I get along fine with my neighbors. 

Bottom line is I would hate to see you taken advantage of or a victim of poof planning or general vindictiveness.

Thanks for the consideration Scott…..

Been there-done that when it comes to being shunned by my neighbors. A while back I stood on the HOA board for a year…oh boy……now there's a whole other story for a different forum !!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Randall Hyde

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 12:46:30 PM »

We have always had a plan B available in the event of bad weather for outdoor gigs..i.e going inside or really good stage covering.
"Really good stage covering" is either:
1) really expensive, or
2) will collapse when rain builds up on it.

I've been to at least a half dozen shows where there was only a 10% chance of rain that day and guess what? It only rained 10% of the time we were there.

Cut the power (shut down the generator), throw tarps over everything, pack up the gear. And if any rain hits a cone, that speaker is out of commission for at least a week.

However, hubby's band and me on sound and samples are playing at our own HOA block party in October and I have insisted that they send me a deposit.
These were the same folks who let us down last year because they kept changing the dates on us and never paid a penny even though we lost work.
So make sure you charge them more this year to make up for lost income. Who's to say they won't repeat the SNAFU this year?

Anyway, the organizer  has asked what happens if it rains?
Simple. As others have already pointed out the refund (generally at least 50%) is non-refundable if the show is cancelled for *any* reason. After all, being available for the gig means you couldn't be doing a job earning money elsewhere (as you've said). It sounds like you don't have to travel anywhere to do the show, but if you did the full amount is due the minute you show up. For my company, cancellation has to be at least a week in advance (to avoid paying the full amount). This is because my crew is part time and I have to pay them once I schedule them (they could be doing other work, too) and I'm out their salaries if the gig is cancelled.

…I know there is no plan B except to postpone because all they have is a open fabric tent canopy so if I do actually receive the deposit ( I told him 50%) and it rains, what do you think we should do??

Unless the venue is capable of operating in inclement weather, the show stops (or never starts) once it starts raining. Generally, with my clients I'm okay with misting, but the moment any water pools up on the stage (and we have an electrical hazard) I pull the plug. I'm the one that will get sued and I'm the one that will go to jail if someone gets electrocuted. *Never* leave this call in the hands of the promoter. They will have you on the stage in the middle of a downpour. Some promoters I've worked with understand the liability issue, most are just thinking about the money they are losing and don't think clearly about the safety issues.

Postponement of an event is an option, and one that I offer to my clients, if inclement weather strikes prior to my arrival on the day of. I eat my lost salaries and do the postponement so that I can keep the client. However, I build the cost of this "insurance" into my gig price. I probably only happens to me one out of 50 shows, so it's not a huge cost. However, I only do this if the gig is called off before I leave my shop. If we've arrived and are setting up (or already are set up), they pay full price.

Keep in mind, from *my* perspective, setup and strike is what they are really paying for. Running the show is the *fun* thing we do while on break between setup and strike :)
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 12:46:30 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.