ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XLR/TRS combo wired together - how?  (Read 3890 times)

Jim Feniello

XLR/TRS combo wired together - how?
« on: August 15, 2014, 03:40:24 PM »

Hi,
I have a balanced TRS (well 6) coming out of my mixer for monitor sends.  i want to wire from that to a rack panel blank with a female connector.  I bought some Neutrik NCJ6 combo female connectors, so depending on what i'm wiring too, i can run xlr or trs.  Do i just jumper the xlr and trs connectors on the NCJ6 together to the 3 wires from my balanced cable?  I'm asusming so, but just wanted some confirmation, and i couldn't find anything searching.

Thanks in advance for any input.
-jim

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: XLR/TRS combo wired together - how?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 03:52:08 PM »

Hi,
I have a balanced TRS (well 6) coming out of my mixer for monitor sends.  i want to wire from that to a rack panel blank with a female connector.  I bought some Neutrik NCJ6 combo female connectors, so depending on what i'm wiring too, i can run xlr or trs.  Do i just jumper the xlr and trs connectors on the NCJ6 together to the 3 wires from my balanced cable?  I'm asusming so, but just wanted some confirmation, and i couldn't find anything searching.

Thanks in advance for any input.
-jim

I may be misunderstanding what you're trying to do but for signal sends, you'll need male XLR jacks, not female ones.

Jim Feniello

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 03:55:56 PM »

I may be misunderstanding what you're trying to do but for signal sends, you'll need male XLR jacks, not female ones.

Sorry, two goals.
1. just have a 2' extension from the back of the mixer to the front of the a rack, that has a blank panel that i'll mount the female connector in.
2. have the ability to run an XLR or TRS cable from the new jack on the panel to the monitor amp/device/etc

So i'm trying to build the cable, male TRS on one end (to plug into the mixer) and a female TRS/XLR on the other end of a 2ft cable.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 04:02:25 PM »

Sorry, two goals.
1. just have a 2' extension from the back of the mixer to the front of the a rack, that has a blank panel that i'll mount the female connector in.
2. have the ability to run an XLR or TRS cable from the new jack on the panel to the monitor amp/device/etc

So i'm trying to build the cable, male TRS on one end (to plug into the mixer) and a female TRS/XLR on the other end of a 2ft cable.
As Corey said, if they are outputs from the mixer, you will need MALE no FEMALE XLR connectors.
I don not think there are male XLR/TRS combo connectors.
from the TRS...Tip goes to XLR pin 2, Ring goes to XLR pin 3, Sleeve goes to XLR pin 1
I don't care enough to be apathetic

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 04:07:38 PM »

You need a panel with 12 jacks:

6 XLRm and 6 TRS

Wire them in parallel pairs.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:53:35 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

David Kaiser

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 02:57:15 AM »

It is doable, simply  wire the cable to the connectors on the plug. You will be able to plug a TRS cable straight in. You will however need a XLR turnaround adaptor or custom XLRM-XLRM cables to use them as outputs. That connector is designed as an input connector.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 02:57:15 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 26 queries.