ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha QL5 questions.  (Read 3809 times)

Guy Morris

Yamaha QL5 questions.
« on: August 14, 2014, 11:11:43 AM »

Hi

Just got one of these desks in with a Rio and Cat5e to add to the LS9 M7 stock (they will just be running with analogue only Multicore ) so I'm already familiar with the layouts, operation etc and Yamaha have retained most of the familiar workflow which is helpful.  Done a search and read the manual but it is either extremly obvious and I'm dumb or no one has assumed that it needs to be explained!  Here it is.

1.How do you set the desk up so it can be used with just the  local analogue input  or when required used instead with a Rio stagebox ?

2.How do you set the desk up to work with the Rio  but also use some of the local inputs for playback input etc.

I cannot find this explanation in the I/O section of the new manual and it never gets mentioned in the tutorials on You Tube (mainly sales vids still). Is it obvious?

I'm thinking you create a Rio Template  and also a Local Template ( maybe even a mixed Template) and just change the patch and HA  I/O to match on each Template

Was also wondering if you can have say 1-32ch as an analogue layer and 33 -64 as the Rio one all the time (buttons are provided to switch banks)  but how would that work with the outputs can the Ethernet out and local analogue out work at the same time?

I have one of my guys coming over next week who has worked on them recently but would like to know what others are doing.

If it is obvious then I accept the crown of dumbo of the week but to be honest it is my first venture with digital snake and the QL/Rio combo goes a long way in making it easy by comparison to earlier Yamaha protocol, still I stay awake at night pondering this subject!

Appreciate all suggestions

Thanks

Guy

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Yamaha QL5 questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 09:12:43 PM »

1.How do you set the desk up so it can be used with just the  local analogue input  or when required used instead with a Rio stagebox ?

2.How do you set the desk up to work with the Rio  but also use some of the local inputs for playback input etc.

I cannot find this explanation in the I/O section of the new manual and it never gets mentioned in the tutorials on You Tube (mainly sales vids still). Is it obvious?

When the Rio is attached, all the I/O of both the Rio and the control surface is available. You have to patch where you want each input to come from, and where you want each output to come out of.

Mac

John J Saunders

• John J Saunders
Yamaha QL5 questions.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:29:28 PM »

Just wait till you have to patch some rio, some local and some other dante devices :) It is a little confusing and can be time consuming.

Unless I missed something when setting one up you have to patch the rio to the dante channels (there is an auto connect button) and then on the channel pre section select the dante channel. It is a lot easier to do from studio manager. However (unless I missed something else) I don't think you can patch into the dante channels from studio manager. Have to do it on the console or in dante controller which yamaha doesn't  recommend cause the console can't save or recall the patching then. 

All outputs locally and on the rio can be used at the same time and even take the same source.

A helpful way to think about it is to forget about channels being inputs but just channels. Any channel can get its source from any input. It just has to be patched. So yes you can have 1-32 be local and 33-64 be the rio box. Or the other way around. It really is not limited at all and doesn't have to be in order either and while it is super flexible it can get confusing. Same goes for the outputs. Any output can get its signal from any mix bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:43:24 PM by John J Saunders »
John Saunders

Guy Morris

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 06:17:25 AM »

Gentlemen Thank you!

I poked around more yesterday and worked out that inputs can be selected to be Dante etc at each channel, so your confirmation is good news!  Maybe Yamaha feel it is so obvious we should know this without any explanation but they really need to make a section in the manual to overview the set up details  for Dante and Local operation and the variants available. It's akin to a trainee pilot on a Airbus A380 being given the cockpit manual but with no info on how to put the landing gear down as it should be obvious! :)

I will re visit this thread over the week to take any further advice and put up my experience with the set up for others, kinda frustrating all the YT stuff is telling us how great it is with all the features but no tutorials as yet that deal with connectivity in detail, its all sales sizzle and no technical meat!

Kent Clasen

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 11:21:47 AM »

Great new rig!  Dante in/out patching w/Yamaha is really easy once you do it a few times and seems to be really to plug and play (in my experience) once configured.  It appears you are already getting the hang of it.

Here is a brief video showing CL Dante patching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6l66C8RIEQ

Guy Morris

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »

Great new rig!  Dante in/out patching w/Yamaha is really easy once you do it a few times and seems to be really to plug and play (in my experience) once configured.  It appears you are already getting the hang of it.

Here is a brief video showing CL Dante patching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6l66C8RIEQ

Thanks Kent. Good thought! I kinda forgot that CL and QL would have the same set up architecture, so the CL vid will be helpful!

Guy

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.