ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring old peecker sound PA equipment. Need help.  (Read 12520 times)

Eugen Jeličić

Restoring old peecker sound PA equipment. Need help.
« on: August 12, 2014, 01:47:23 PM »

Hello there.
Long story short. My father used to have a disco club (1997 - 2001.) we recently got all the equipment from the club back after it's been stored for over 10 years and not used.
Now all the equipment was produced by the italian company "peecker sound" 4x 900w (4ohm) amps. 4x500w (4ohm) amps. Running 4 18 inch peecker sound woofers and 4 mid-hii 12+horn peecker sound speakers. Recently i started restoring the equipment so i can start renting it. It's all working very well. I spent about 30 hours cleaning the amps and we tested it all outside with a DJ:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10498590_10202625694784276_4804679082402610285_o.jpg

Now finally here is my question. The drivers in these speakers seem to be in perfect condition. And damn they sound good! But i just can't find any specifications (except the 8ohm impedance rating). And i'd really like the datasheet for these drivers. Now when i took them out i soon realised they look exactly the same like some RCF drivers.

There is a good chance that these are RCF drivers. On the back there is a "acoustic research labs" sticker. But that is just a section of peecker sound company so it doesn't tell me much. They however look exactly the same like some RCF speakers. On the 18 woofer there is an engraving:

L121000

i know some RCF speakers are marked with L12 right?
I wanted to send you some pictures of these drivers to ask you if you could please help ne indentify them. Guys from peecker sound don't reply the emails. If you recognise these 18 an 12 drivers please give me the models thank you very very much.

Here are the pics

http://s30.photobucket.com/user/athlon-64/library/peecker%20sound%20oprema

So i seem to have found one of the drivers. The 12" inch in the mid-hii speaker seems to be an
RCF L12-544k

on the back of each one of my speakers there is a number engraved. On the 12' speaker it was L121001. When i first saw the L12-544k online i realised it looks the same. Then i saw the number and finally... that is the speaker.

Now i still haven found my 18's and i have another question. Are these genuine RCF drivers or are these copies from peecker sound? Either way they sound damn fantastic but considering the engraved number. The fact that drivers are absolutley identical and both produced in Italy. I think this is and RCF with a different sticker right ??

So here is my 12 driver:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/athlon-64/peecker%20sound%20oprema/IMG_2458_zps390461a0.jpg

and here is a L12-544k that i found online:

http://mla-s2-p.mlstatic.com/9134-MLA20013034555_112013-O.jpg

http://www.preciolandia.com/ar/parla...-81gozc-a.html

Take a good look at the engraved number on this RCF that i linked and my driver and you'll see it's the same number. So is this a genuine RCF driver from 1997 ?

Also can you help me find these 18's i have :/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:57:09 PM by Eugen Jeličić »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Restoring old peecker sound PA equipment. Need help.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:37:26 PM »

Are these genuine RCF drivers or are these copies from peecker sound? Either way they sound damn fantastic but considering the engraved number. The fact that drivers are absolutley identical and both produced in Italy. I think this is and RCF with a different sticker right ??
Eugen,

Look like genuine RCF drivers, whether they are simply re-badged standard models, or variants made specifically for Peecker might be something RCF could help you with.

Nice clean up job, the stuff looks near new!

Art

Eugen Jeličić

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 01:41:25 PM »

Eugen,

Look like genuine RCF drivers, whether they are simply re-badged standard models, or variants made specifically for Peecker might be something RCF could help you with.

Nice clean up job, the stuff looks near new!

Art

Well i know but i have sent them an email and a facebook message. Got no replies :(
Do you know how to contact them and get some info back ?

Than you. I'd really love to find the missing channel for my TVA1800 amp but i doubt i will have any luck. The amps are from 1997 but still working fantastic. They are very very heavey but honestly that's the only thing i don't like about them.

And one more question. Do you think the best option is to run 3 woofers from 900w amps (they get about 550 at 8 ohms) and then run the 4th woofer from the 2x500 amp in bridge mode and make it give the forth base 550w so all 4 of them run equally. Or i should just use the system even better and hook up 2 woofers at 2 bigger amps and then the other two at 2x500 amps in bridge mode. That way i would be running my woofers 2x550w + 2x ~800w.

So in short terms. Is it a problem if 4 woofers are not getting equal amount of power?   

Richard Turner

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 09:07:33 PM »

I would have the amplifiers properly bench tested General consensus is 10 years without charge recharge cycle on large capacitors before failure is extremely likely
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Eugen Jeličić

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:58:05 AM »

I would have the amplifiers properly bench tested General consensus is 10 years without charge recharge cycle on large capacitors before failure is extremely likely

Well the fact that they have not been used in 10 years has concirned me but i have been using them for the past 3 weeks a lot and 2-3 times ran them at almost maximum load for about 4 hours. Had absolutley no problems at all :/

I also checked out all the capacitors in the amps. None of them is bloated or leaky.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 03:33:27 PM »

Well i know but i have sent them an email and a facebook message. Got no replies :(
Do you know how to contact them and get some info back ?

So in short terms. Is it a problem if 4 woofers are not getting equal amount of power?
I have no personal contacts at RCF.

If the four woofers get a reasonably similar amount of power, no problem, but if one is getting more power than the other three, it will burn first.

Eugen Jeličić

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 04:04:53 PM »

I have no personal contacts at RCF.

If the four woofers get a reasonably similar amount of power, no problem, but if one is getting more power than the other three, it will burn first.

Well that is very logical but let's say my woofers can take a 1000W RMS. 3 of them are getting 600w and one of them is getting 800w. I never clip the amps and watch out the power. So i don't burn any of the woofers. Is it a problem then for one of the woofers to run under a higher load then the others? I want to know will it affect sound quallity.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 06:51:08 PM »

Well that is very logical but let's say my woofers can take a 1000W RMS. 3 of them are getting 600w and one of them is getting 800w. I never clip the amps and watch out the power. So i don't burn any of the woofers. Is it a problem then for one of the woofers to run under a higher load then the others? I want to know will it affect sound quallity.
The driver getting 800 watts compared to 600 watts will be about a half dB louder and slightly more distorted than the others.

Saying your woofers can take 1000W RMS does not make it so, however- doubtful that a 1997 woofer would be rated more than around 500 watts RMS.

Eugen Jeličić

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 07:39:11 PM »

The driver getting 800 watts compared to 600 watts will be about a half dB louder and slightly more distorted than the others.

Saying your woofers can take 1000W RMS does not make it so, however- doubtful that a 1997 woofer would be rated more than around 500 watts RMS.

I understand. So there is not much point forcing it. Right now they get about a maximum of 550w from my amps and when you hear them that really seems to be perfect. If i want my system to be louder i need more speakers. Not amps right now.
The driver is most probably an RCF L18P540. It's the only driver that looks exactly the same. If that's true we are talking about a 99.5dB - 350w RMS/700w program/1500w peak driver.

So in case you were buying an amp for a speaker with those specifications what kind of power do you think would be good? My peecker gives it about 550w (it's a 900w @4ohm amp, i don't know about 8 ohms but i think it's around 550) Do you think that's well balanced?

The only reason i have been asking all of this is because there are multiple ways to connect my system with the amps. One of them is using two 2x500w @4ohm amp in bridge mode to run 2 woofers. In bridge mode they are 8 ohm amps so each woofer would be able to get 1000w.
In case i ever do that i just want to know how far can i feel safe to push it.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 01:13:38 PM »

The driver is most probably an RCF L18P540. It's the only driver that looks exactly the same. If that's true we are talking about a 99.5dB - 350w RMS/700w program/1500w peak driver.

So in case you were buying an amp for a speaker with those specifications what kind of power do you think would be good? My peecker gives it about 550w (it's a 900w @4ohm amp, i don't know about 8 ohms but i think it's around 550) Do you think that's well balanced?
550 real watts is probably plenty for that type of speaker. Xmax is only 4.5mm, so if you see the cone move more than 9mm peak to peak (only 3/8 inch), it is exceeding it's linear range, more power would just increase distortion.

Doubling Xmax allows 6 dB more output (but also requires at least 6 dB more power), the better Italian PA woofers are now in the 15mm Xmax range, and there are some woofers with even double that Xmax now!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 01:13:38 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.