ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC Ksub with PRX 615M's  (Read 5336 times)

Timothy Jones

QSC Ksub with PRX 615M's
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:12:28 PM »

Found a good deal on ksubs. Can I run these with my JBL PRX 615M's? Looking to beef up the low end on the church band.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: QSC Ksub with PRX 615M's
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 01:17:19 PM »

Found a good deal on ksubs. Can I run these with my JBL PRX 615M's? Looking to beef up the low end on the church band.

Yes…if you use an external crossover in between.
I had this exact same set -up (well, almost the same I have PRX612's) and got fed up having to take a separate crossover with me. QSC have the processing in the tops and JBL in the subs. I finally got a PRX718 and now use the system with the built in crossover in the sub.
It will 'work' without the external crossover but not the way it should.

It was actually not a bad sound and the bass end was tight with the K-subs. Lacking in projection and low end thump though -OK for small venues (or churches) I much prefer the PRX718….
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 01:19:13 PM »

We're not allowed to reply until you change your " handle" to your real, full name.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Timothy Jones

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 01:32:31 PM »

We're not allowed to reply until you change your " handle" to your real, full name.

Oh, ok. Done. Thanks.

Timothy Jones

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 01:43:18 PM »

Yes…if you use an external crossover in between.
I had this exact same set -up (well, almost the same I have PRX612's) and got fed up having to take a separate crossover with me. QSC have the processing in the tops and JBL in the subs. I finally got a PRX718 and now use the system with the built in crossover in the sub.
It will 'work' without the external crossover but not the way it should.

It was actually not a bad sound and the bass end was tight with the K-subs. Lacking in projection and low end thump though -OK for small venues (or churches) I much prefer the PRX718….

I need compact and light as we move around so I really like these. Only 74 Lbs. with wheels and compact. The PRX 718 is very nice but much heavier and large. I am getting a very good deal on the ksubs but do not want to change my PRX 615's as I just got them. I guess I need to research an external crossover?

Timothy Jones

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 01:45:34 PM »

Maybe I keep looking or get a JBL sub

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:43:00 PM by Timothy Jones »

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 02:44:37 PM »

I called around and most people are saying a external crossover is not needed. And this that they should work fine together. As all my speakers are powered.

Yes, they will work without a cross-over. How well is another question.

The -10 dB rating for the K-sub is 44 hz. The -10 dB rating for the prx 615m is 45 hz.

Running them both full range may not get you much more low end than you currently have. YMMV, but if you are asking for the advice of the forum, why are you telling us that "most people" are telling you differently?  Have you listened to the speakers in both configuations?  Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Timothy Jones

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »

Yes, they will work without a cross-over. How well is another question.

The -10 dB rating for the K-sub is 44 hz. The -10 dB rating for the prx 615m is 45 hz.

Running them both full range may not get you much more low end than you currently have. YMMV, but if you are asking for the advice of the forum, why are you telling us that "most people" are telling you differently?  Have you listened to the speakers in both configuations?  Mark C.

After some more research your comment is on par. That is the next step is to hook em up and see if it works out. The most people comment was stupid. I called QSC and they basically said the same thing as you. Mismatching may not be the way to go but my rig can only hold so much gear. A powered JBL 18 is probably the way to go, I think I could fit one in my rig with all my other gear. Thanks for your input. It is much appreciated.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 03:57:03 PM »

The big plus with the K-subs was they had the best wheels on them so moving them around was a cinch and they were really easy to transport. They looked nice too especially where space was tight and they had a 'smart' appearance to them. …

There is nothing wrong with mismatched brands IF you do it right and a decent external crossover isn't going to break the bank if you are getting the K-subs at a great price. I was using a Samson c/over and it worked fine.  It was the extra cabling and effort that was annoying to me but if you are not moving the system around, it'll make no difference to you. Just remember you won't get the nice meaty thump and low extension that an 18" will give you….Can you set it up and have a listen with your speakers before you buy??
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Timothy Jones

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 04:03:46 PM »

The big plus with the K-subs was they had the best wheels on them so moving them around was a cinch and they were really easy to transport. They looked nice too especially where space was tight and they had a 'smart' appearance to them. …

There is nothing wrong with mismatched brands IF you do it right and a decent external crossover isn't going to break the bank if you are getting the K-subs at a great price. I was using a Samson c/over and it worked fine.  It was the extra cabling and effort that was annoying to me but if you are not moving the system around, it'll make no difference to you. Just remember you won't get the nice meaty thump and low extension that an 18" will give you….Can you set it up and have a listen with your speakers before you buy??

Im being told the Ksubs have a built in crossover. The ksub has a 100 HZ low-pass over that cannot be adjusted or bypassed. Im so confused. I have to move a lot thats why I liked these and I have a small truck. lol. Im going to try this set up and see what happens before I buy them. Two ksubs for $800 is a good deal but not if it doesnt work right!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 04:03:46 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.