ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QU16 save setting question  (Read 5769 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: QU16 save setting question
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 05:44:19 PM »

I just found an article on telephone bandwidth and they say the HF rolls off around 3.2K for local service and as low as 2.7K for long distance.

Good to know Dick, thanks ..that's pretty darn low !!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 05:55:31 PM »

I used to do the same effect on the board. A bit of vocal plate reverb helps as well.

I have since added a copper phone microphone to the collection to do that sound directly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Looks pricey to me!!! But nice …

Ironically Hubby and I went out today with the trailer to help my daughter and son-in-law to pick up a sofa from a warehouse that sells used and bankrupt stock.  Whilst walking around I noticed a used 50 watt megaphone for $15 including new batteries…..so I grabbed it.  I figured even if I don't use it live, it might come in handy for recording and gives me an authentic sound to emulate !!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 06:10:28 PM »

I just found an article on telephone bandwidth and they say the HF rolls off around 3.2K for local service and as low as 2.7K for long distance.

Back when I worked for Ma bell, the spec was 300-3000hZ for most gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 07:24:56 PM »

Back when I worked for Ma bell, the spec was 300-3000hZ for most gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
That was always the frequency range I was taught.    Really narrow now that I think about it.
frank

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 02:14:02 AM »

I used to do the same effect on the board. A bit of vocal plate reverb helps as well.

I have since added a copper phone microphone to the collection to do that sound directly.

That is nice collectable.  Who built the copper container?  The volume is larger than a phone handset, the carbon mic, handset volume and the wadding in the handset all contributed to the original Bell Sound.  (And the 600 Ohm impedance).  Do you have an actual Bell center tap transformer inside?  Since phones are the same voltage as Phantom Power (gee I wonder how that happened, engineers are so lazy) is that how you are providing the DC bias to the carbon element?

The original switched circuit telephone network bandwidth was only limited by the amplifiers and such in the network as it was analog.  All of this was "prescribed" to use an old telco term as gain was calculated based on your length from the office and the "prescription" for the amplifier was on your work order to set up the line.  Anyway I am digressing and geeking out.

When North American Digital Standard was developed the CODEC designed by Bell "http://goo.gl/RXu6G3"uLAW CODEC link was a simple Pulse Code Modulation affair.  The basic bearer channel was 56k with 16k of overhead left to send a string of 1's and o's to operate the DC and ring relays and loop current detectors.  24 of those fits in a DS-1 (or T1) and then on up the food chain to DS-3's and then the optical carrier formats.  These standards are still in place and are used for data transport today, however Ethernet is rapidly being taken up as a transport technology in Telephony as it is in audio.  I still prefer a real BITS clock for accuracy but BITS and clocking errors are another digression.

Anyway, sometime in the 60's some brain wave in Whippany decided that 1/2 rate PCM sounded good enough for a local phone line and the Subscriber Line Concentrator (or SLiC) was born to the hatred of telecopier and modem users.  The reference hardware was a hacked up Western D4 bank that was still sitting in a Pioneer museum outside of  Branchburg NJ (this is for Bob "we don't need no f'ing limiters" Leonard and all the other WE alumni in PSQ)

While the bandwidth was not reduced by the bit robbing technique they used the transform function was severely compromised and waveform linearity was almost stairstep.  In other words in sounded like shit.  Slowly but surely our fidelity for music and speech has been compromised for capacity and convenience (the only real argument for digitally encoding anything  !
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 09:39:40 AM »

That is nice collectable.  Who built the copper container?  The volume is larger than a phone handset, the carbon mic, handset volume and the wadding in the handset all contributed to the original Bell Sound.  (And the 600 Ohm impedance).  Do you have an actual Bell center tap transformer inside?  Since phones are the same voltage as Phantom Power (gee I wonder how that happened, engineers are so lazy) is that how you are providing the DC bias to the carbon element?

The original switched circuit telephone network bandwidth was only limited by the amplifiers and such in the network as it was analog.  All of this was "prescribed" to use an old telco term as gain was calculated based on your length from the office and the "prescription" for the amplifier was on your work order to set up the line.  Anyway I am digressing and geeking out.

When North American Digital Standard was developed the CODEC designed by Bell "http://goo.gl/RXu6G3"uLAW CODEC link was a simple Pulse Code Modulation affair.  The basic bearer channel was 56k with 16k of overhead left to send a string of 1's and o's to operate the DC and ring relays and loop current detectors.  24 of those fits in a DS-1 (or T1) and then on up the food chain to DS-3's and then the optical carrier formats.  These standards are still in place and are used for data transport today, however Ethernet is rapidly being taken up as a transport technology in Telephony as it is in audio.  I still prefer a real BITS clock for accuracy but BITS and clocking errors are another digression.

Anyway, sometime in the 60's some brain wave in Whippany decided that 1/2 rate PCM sounded good enough for a local phone line and the Subscriber Line Concentrator (or SLiC) was born to the hatred of telecopier and modem users.  The reference hardware was a hacked up Western D4 bank that was still sitting in a Pioneer museum outside of  Branchburg NJ (this is for Bob "we don't need no f'ing limiters" Leonard and all the other WE alumni in PSQ)

While the bandwidth was not reduced by the bit robbing technique they used the transform function was severely compromised and waveform linearity was almost stairstep.  In other words in sounded like shit.  Slowly but surely our fidelity for music and speech has been compromised for capacity and convenience (the only real argument for digitally encoding anything  !

Scott

This one is not a carbon element but a later dynamic phone module. The same company does make a mic with a carbon element. The response is listed as 200-3000 hz and the rear porting does give it a cardiod pattern. I have easily used it on live stages with items and with a little tweaking it gets reasonably loud with monitors.

The company is called placid audio.

Www.placidaudio.com

I had looked at designs for mic based on telephone elements for about 6 months but never got around to building anything. Then a band came through my venue with one of these. They are a touch pricey ( about $250) but not really that much worse than any of the other specialty mics in my locker.

Jay Barracato

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 12:50:48 PM »

Regarding the emulation of a megaphone for live use……

That megaphone is a bit heavy and awkward for live use so not using that!

I have found the easiest way to emulate, is to use roll off highs and lows and add some distortion.

On my old Yamaha 01V, I am able to use a nice volcano PEQ, get the gain way up, fader down  and VOILA…I get a pretty passable megaphone sound. However, I use the Yammy for rehearsal and the QU16 for live work.
So I tried to do the same thing with the QU16, got a similar PEQ setting but when I try to overdrive the gain- even a little bit-  the console isn't happy.  It causes some weird popping noises and basically is telling me to stop. I know it isn't something I'd normally ever do, in fact quite the opposite - keep those gains down below red but I was hoping to find a nice easy, quick way to do this.
I wish there was a distortion FX in the desk. I know I am expecting too much ….I may have to add a cheap distortion pedal which would mean utilizing an aux which I can't afford to do…
Dick suggested using the phaser FX which I might have to experiment with.

Simon Hutson

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 01:11:45 PM »

I am trying to emulate a megaphone and the only way I have ever been able to get a 'passable' faux sound on analog equipment is by creating a crazy volcano shape on the PEQ upper mid and overdriving the signal. When I try to overdrive one channel a little on the QU16, I get pops and bangs so don't think I'll be doing that. Other than buying a megaphone (duh)….what else do you think I can do??

What about the TC-Helicon VoiceTone X1 for Megaphone and Distortion effects? When inline between the mic and desk it bypasses the effect until the footswitch is engaged. http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/voicetone-x1/

I use the VoiceLive Play unit which includes this effect (plus others), and am really happy with the quality of the effects.

Best regards, Simon

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 02:31:56 PM »

DD...

I finally got to take a stab at the megaphone bit.  The Classic phaser or Manual phaser come as close as you can get in the Qu library.  Set it up as an insert on fx 3 or 4 and you can take it in/out on the channel itself.

If you want to do distortion with what you might have on hand it will have to be outboard.  Two things come to mind:

1.  A wireless mic set to distort easily or

2.  Some cheap DI or diddly pre-amp you can overload.

Either require a designated mic, though, unless you can set said device at the board and can bypass it at will...or run it in a loop from an aux back into one of the stereo inputs.

DR
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:18:06 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 02:31:56 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.