ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: $1000 high power Class D power amps- Peavey IPR2 7500 or Behringer NU 12000 or ?  (Read 28195 times)

Bill Hornibrook

Re: $1000 high power Class D Power Amps
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 02:26:11 PM »

It is said that the inuke12000 is two inuke6000 in one chassis. If that is true then this review should give a decent hint

http://forum.speakerplans.com/behringer-inuke-nu6000-vs-kam-kxd7200-bench-tested_topic69202_page1.html
Actually by glimpsing the skimpy specs Behringer provides, what the 12000 appears to be is a 6000 capable of driving 2 ohm loads. The only power figures provided ("Maximum" whatever that means) are 3000 watt per channel on the 6000 when driving 4 ohm loads, up a bit to 3400 watts on the 12000 - but certainly not double. And that's my application: 4 ohm stereo.

There was a time when Behringer actually did provide meaningful output specs on their power amps. My EPX amps have RMS ratings as well as peak listed in the manual. In the absence of that with the iNuke 12000 (and since no one has any experience with them) I can't seriously consider one.

Peavey and Crest OTOH give fairly decent output specs in their manuals. The IPR2 7500 and Pro-Lite 7.5 kind of jaw back and forth depending on load and output conditions, but it's actually the Peavey that comes out ahead for my purposes (2000 watts 20-20k both channels driven @ 4 ohms vs. 1850 watts on the Crest). The Peavey also appears to be around $300 cheaper. It's been next to impossible to find a DSP version of the Crest online.

It has been suggested that there are deals to be had with Crest power amps. If anyone has further info please PM me as I haven't yet put in an order.

ITechs are just getting too old for me to want to spring for one, and the XTi 6000 doesn't have any more power than the Peavey or Crest but sure cost a lot more.

Sorry I haven't responded until now. This is a very busy time for me. But thanks everyone for your input.

Randall Hyde

Will Crown still be able to repair the original iTechs?
I've never sent one back, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't be able to. It's not like they're *that* old.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Randall Hyde

What about the xti6000?  Scuttlebut says it's a trimmed down iTech 6000.
Power supplies are quite a bit different.
The XTi6000 definitely has the best PS of the XTi line, but I believe it's still a step down from the iTech line. And the PS is definitely the critical component for sub amps.
cheers,
Randy Hyde

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: $1000 high power Class D Power Amps
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 03:19:18 PM »

Peavey and Crest OTOH give fairly decent output specs in their manuals. The IPR2 7500 and Pro-Lite 7.5 kind of jaw back and forth depending on load and output conditions, but it's actually the Peavey that comes out ahead for my purposes (2000 watts 20-20k both channels driven @ 4 ohms vs. 1850 watts on the Crest). The Peavey also appears to be around $300 cheaper. It's been next to impossible to find a DSP version of the Crest online.

;D ;D ;D I used to be a product manager for power amps and it's funny how consumers fixate on small differences in power. You should be thinking of relative output power in terms of dBW. The difference between 1850W and 2000W is  0.33 dBW. Can you hear 0.33 dB? I am pretty sure I can't without side by side immediate A/B comparison. Any time delay between listening comparison and I can't hear a minor fraction of a single dB. 

Another subtle point and I'm not sure what is the real difference here but sometimes an amp that also specs a low THD number avoids approaching clipping. Some amps can make tens of watts more by tolerating 0.1% to 0.2% THD.

But the customer is always right. Enjoy.  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bill Hornibrook

Both power amps have the same parent company and the figures I gave were both measured at <0.5%THD. I thought it was a fair basis for comparison. Crest amps may (or may not) have bigger power supply caps but it didn't show up as making a difference here.

Anyway I still haven't ruled out the Crest but at $300 cheaper the Peavey is looking pretty good right now.

Bill Hornibrook

Thought I'd post a quick follow-up. I went ahead and purchased the IPR2 7500DSP, and now have around 18 nights on it. Amazing sub amp - easily better than the two Behringer EPX4000s I was using previously.

I haven't done another outdoor gig since I got it, but the owner of one club had me turn the subs down because the windows were rattling at the businesses across the street and he was worried about a noise complaint.

DSP is pretty basic. I wish the HP filter could be set lower than it can (around 32hz). On "The Motto" (classic hip-hop track that for better or worse popularized the term YOLO) the low "B"s  (30.8hz and they're almost sine waves) were attenuated and didn't shake the club like they usually do. "Headband" with it's thunderous low "C"s fared better. I may just take HP off completely.

If anyone is interested in this amp call around. I got a really good price over the phone  - much better than anything I found online.

All in all  this amp is replacing five rack spaces and 55 pounds with two spaces and 14.5 pounds - and doing a much better job to boot. I couldn't be happier with how this turned out :) Thanks guys for all your input.

Nate Zifra

Thanks for posting an update.  It's really nice when a thread has a definitive conclusion.  I'll have to keep these amps in mind for the future.

Thanks again.

Thought I'd post a quick follow-up. I went ahead and purchased the IPR2 7500DSP, and now have around 18 nights on it. Amazing sub amp - easily better than the two Behringer EPX4000s I was using previously.

I haven't done another outdoor gig since I got it, but the owner of one club had me turn the subs down because the windows were rattling at the businesses across the street and he was worried about a noise complaint.

DSP is pretty basic. I wish the HP filter could be set lower than it can (around 32hz). On "The Motto" (classic hip-hop track that for better or worse popularized the term YOLO) the low "B"s  (30.8hz and they're almost sine waves) were attenuated and didn't shake the club like they usually do. "Headband" with it's thunderous low "C"s fared better. I may just take HP off completely.

If anyone is interested in this amp call around. I got a really good price over the phone  - much better than anything I found online.

All in all  this amp is replacing five rack spaces and 55 pounds with two spaces and 14.5 pounds - and doing a much better job to boot. I couldn't be happier with how this turned out :) Thanks guys for all your input.

kendallhadden

• Kindred Spirit Ministry

I just purchased a Crest Pro-Lite 3.0, which is basically the same as the IPR's, and I'm extremely impressed.  I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly proved wrong.  I'm thinking seriously about picking up a Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 now. 

Bill Hornibrook

I'm thinking seriously about picking up a Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 now.

I would have done the same if I could have found one even close to the price of the Peavey, but the spread ($375) was just too large

The DJ look of the IPR2 doesn't bother me at all. I am a DJ  8)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA

People, as I've said before, don't give Peavey enough credit. I'm glad you went with the IPR and wish you great luck with the amp.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.