ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: $1000 high power Class D power amps- Peavey IPR2 7500 or Behringer NU 12000 or ?  (Read 28045 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

I have been outside the castle walls for almost 15 years now, but it's safe to speculate that if the size, specs, and weight is the same the technology inside is probably the same.

While I was working there we put similar technology inside the full range of products from fixed install amps gathering dust in a closet to powered mixers up on stage with weekend warriors. It would literally be stupid to reinvent the wheel for each and every wheelbarrow we designed (just use your best wheel everywhere you need a wheel***).

The different market segments have different treatments for details like user interfaces, packaging, connectors, form factor etc.

Note: I do not know enough about this new amp technology to know if the different markets should get different treatments under the hood.   

JR

*** of course we didn't put the same exact amp in every product but where the applications were close enough we used the same technology where it made sense.
It is my understanding that the Crest version is a "beefed up" version of the Peavey.

Larger DC storage caps and more heatsink-but there is very little heatsink needed.

I believe the Crest DSP verison has a bit more control than the Peavey-BUT I could be wrong-I have not looked into the details.

Those are easy to do on the same board, using the same circuits.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Sammy Barr

I bought one to use on two Peavey Qw 218. The results have been very good. I would recommend it highly. No experience with the Behringer.

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound

[/quote]

Plus 1 for the Crest ProLite. A little beefier and minus those blue lights.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

Plus 1 for the Crest ProLite. A little beefier and minus those blue lights.
Those blue lights are needed for the amp to be considered "energy star" rated.

THe way the "code" is written dictates that the device ACTUALLY USE power when in the off position.

It is basically the ratio of the on to the off states.  And if the device pulls zero current-then you cannot divide by zero-so there is no ratio.

Yes they were put there to make a government rating program make sense-believe it or not-----------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bill Hornibrook

Thanks for the heads-up on the Crest ProLite Scott and others, and details on what it is Ivan. I didn't even know it existed until now. That's looking more and more like the direction I'm headed.

There was a question earlier on why I'm doing this at all. The thought of having all my processing and power in a lightweight four space rack is very appealing to me. Like I said, I'm on the move a lot - three to four times a week during the summer. Every little bit helps at 3am.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
$1000 high power Class D Power Amps
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up on the Crest ProLite

In addition to looking more professional and less "DJ", the Crest label makes the ProLite more rider-friendly than its Peavey corporate cousin.
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Robert Lofgren

Re: $1000 high power Class D Power Amps
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 12:19:31 PM »

In addition to looking more professional and less "DJ", the Crest label makes the ProLite more rider-friendly than its Peavey corporate cousin.
It is said that the inuke12000 is two inuke6000 in one chassis. If that is true then this review should give a decent hint

http://forum.speakerplans.com/behringer-inuke-nu6000-vs-kam-kxd7200-bench-tested_topic69202_page1.html

Randall Hyde

Any opinion other than "don't buy Behringer" will be appreciated. Personally I've had nothing but good results with Behringer power amps.
Contrary to mine (I've had three PMP powered mixer amps blow up on me, but that's just the luck of the draw when you're buying gear with suspect components).

These subs (custom built 21" B&C 21SW152 loaded) have been powered with two Behringer EPX4000s in 4 ohm bridged mono for the last three years with no issues. My JBL SRX 715 tops are currently being run with an iNuke 6000DSP and I love the combination.

These B&C subs need a lot of power. Those EPX4000s are rated at 3000w RMS bridged at 4ohms mono and they take it all. Coming from Behringer that spec may be a bit optimistic, but I know I'm going to need an honest 2000 watts minimum. But I'm also on the move a lot and trying to simplify my setup. If I can get by with just one sub amp with front end DSP I can do away with the Driverack.

Use is for contemporary club DJ - yeah the bass heavy stuff that goes down to 32hz.
Sounds to me like you *really* want an iTech6000 or (better yet) iTech8000. They're not cheap (used, somewhat less than $2,000 depending on age).  I run six JBL SRX 728s subs. They also demand a lot of power. Many years ago I was running them off bridged Crown XTi 4000 amps (2,400 watts into 4 ohms). I upgraded to Crown iTech8000 amps (4,000 watts/channel into 4 ohms, 20 msec burst, but a *good* power supply). This made a *huge* difference.

FWIW, I also run my SRX 725 cabinets bi-amped off iTech8000 (LF) and XTi 2000 (HF) amps (versus running them passive off XTi 4000 amps in the past). Not as big of a difference as the subs, but still much better.

For EDM, especially, you need good amps. Stick with what you've got and save up your pennies and get a used iTech (with built-in DSP) and you'll be much happier.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Gary Weller

Contrary to mine (I've had three PMP powered mixer amps blow up on me, but that's just the luck of the draw when you're buying gear with suspect components).
Sounds to me like you *really* want an iTech6000 or (better yet) iTech8000. They're not cheap (used, somewhat less than $2,000 depending on age).  I run six JBL SRX 728s subs. They also demand a lot of power. Many years ago I was running them off bridged Crown XTi 4000 amps (2,400 watts into 4 ohms). I upgraded to Crown iTech8000 amps (4,000 watts/channel into 4 ohms, 20 msec burst, but a *good* power supply). This made a *huge* difference.

FWIW, I also run my SRX 725 cabinets bi-amped off iTech8000 (LF) and XTi 2000 (HF) amps (versus running them passive off XTi 4000 amps in the past). Not as big of a difference as the subs, but still much better.

For EDM, especially, you need good amps. Stick with what you've got and save up your pennies and get a used iTech (with built-in DSP) and you'll be much happier.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Will Crown still be able to repair the original iTechs?

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio

What about the xti6000?  Scuttlebut says it's a trimmed down iTech 6000.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 3.106 seconds with 25 queries.