ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: monitor placement for a row of 8 singers  (Read 1378 times)

mark mcfarlane

monitor placement for a row of 8 singers
« on: September 25, 2005, 05:36:45 am »

Our current normal setup is 6-8 singers standing shoulder to shoulder each with their own mics (of different makes and models).  We only have 2 10" 2-way Yamaha monitors (with detached surrounds!) for the singers AND the band.  I (temporarily?) donated a couple of Yamaha SM12Vs and we tried them last week for fairly good effect.  I used one for the band and the second as a fill monitor for the singers, we disconnected the Yamaha 10's.

All the monitors are being driven from one channel of a QSC 700 which I think is rated at about 250 watts and could possibly go to 2Ohms (I need to double check the exact model number this next week).

Using a Yamaha SM12V as a vocal fill (from the side) helped  alot for people on the left end of the line but obviously didn't do much for the right end of the line.  We surprisingly got reasonable GBF with this single monitor pointing about 10 degrees off of the line of mics.

Money is tight, well basically non-existent.  We are sponsoring 3 mission churches and the choice would basically be to shut down a mission or buy PA gear - the obvious answer is to get by with what we have - although I'm working on some fund raising ideas or soliciting private donations.  It's fairly difficult to even bring up the idea of fund raising for sound reinforcement when you can't afford the pastoral staff....

So, if we can raise some money (maybe $1000-$2000), what would be a good monitor solution for 8 mics in a line?

2 side fills only?
3-4 mons across the front?

The monitors will be primarily vocal with maybe a little piano/bass/drums/guitar thrown in.

Another problem I have with the SM12V's is the horn's dispersion pattern is really designed for a single-person setup.

We have 4 different 'bands' each with 6-8 singers so the cost of doing IEM's is way out of our league.

Well, I was just curious what others do to monitor this type of 'line of singers'.

Mark
Mark McFarlane

Jeremy Johnston

Re: monitor placement for a row of 8 singers
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 05:58:10 pm »

Hi Mark,

Have you tried propping the SM112 up in front of the row of singers with the horn oriented horizontally?  That's going to be the best way to get the most coverage out of that box.  In their sideways orientation they have too narrow coverage to do what you want, but you might be able to build a bracket or stand that would get you better results with the horn oriented horizontally.  

Maybe give that a try.

Jeremy J

Bryan Roberts

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 10:26:28 pm »

A little method to get more clarity with so many vocalists is to try reversing the polarity on every other mic (that is, if your board has this option).

With your cash, it't gonna be tight getting 2 more wedges and another powered mix, but 2 mixes with 2 wedges each should get you closer to a couple clean mixes. 4 singer louder in one mix and the other 4 louder in the other. Even with a cheap monitor, this should help get more clear information exchange for your singers.

bry
Bryan Roberts
Nashville, TN
tallboyproductions
Audio Engineer, Prod Manager

mark mcfarlane

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 12:11:18 am »

I did use the monitors vertically for better horizontal dispersion.

2 mixes is a great idea, unfortunately the console we are using only has a 2 aux channels and one is used for reverb, and we only have one amp channel...
Mark McFarlane

Bryan Roberts

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 09:05:36 pm »

Have you considered using a group output to get your Verb send?
It may not be the best way, but it works in a tight fix like the one you got. I think you might be able to afford another amp to power 2 more new wedges. 2000 grand would easily get this done. In fact, you could get some pretty decent stuff for this amount of money. Heck, if you go used, you could do it even cheaper.

bryan
Bryan Roberts
Nashville, TN
tallboyproductions

mark mcfarlane

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 07:47:25 am »

Thanks for the idea Bryan, I'll check it out tomorrow.
Mark McFarlane

Clayton Luckie

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 05:34:14 pm »

Bryan Roberts wrote on Wed, 28 September 2005 20:05

2000 grand would easily get this done.

Yes, 2000 grand could do wonders for his setup, I'm sure.  But don't you think 2 million dollars is a bit steep for an amp and 2 wedges?

Smile

cl

Bryan Roberts

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 11:27:14 pm »

Alright, so it was late and I was tired. Numbers that don't work. I love it.

bryan
Bryan Roberts
Nashville, TN
tallboyproductions

Larry Purvis

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 08:51:29 pm »

Hi Marc,
  No real suggestions on equipment for you other than the already mentioned turning the Yamaha cabinet vertically. But thought I'd mention that you may need to pay attention to the polar pattern of the vocal mics and where they are in relation to the monitors. We have 3 vocalists on 1 wedge and they were all using AKG D880 super cardioid mics. One day I noticed that the center vocal sounded sort of wierd and phasing. I swapped the center mic for a similar D770 cardioid mic and the strange phasing went away. Evidently the rear lobe of the polar pattern being aimed pretty much at the monitor was causing problems. Using the cardioid with no lobe to the rear fixed it.
Larry

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 08:51:29 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 23 queries.