ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless mic losing signal -- bad antenna on transmitter?  (Read 6089 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Wireless mic losing signal -- bad antenna on transmitter?
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:34:30 AM »

I have a Sennheiser EW 100 G2 setup with a bodypack transmitter. In the past it has given excellent service, with surprisingly good range, capable of several hundred feet without problems.

This past weekend, however, I had a terrible time with it: frequent loss of signal. The receiver was only 75 feet from the transmitter. Holding the receiver above the audience helped somewhat; during a change in the program I was able to move the receiver closer to the transmitter (about 25' away) which prevented dropouts even though I could see that it was not receiving a strong signal.

I am suspecting that the antenna in the transmitter is faulty. I plan on calling Sennheiser support on the issue, but figured I'd post here to see what your experience is and if you think I'm on the right track.

I found this video describing the replacement of the antenna on either the G2 or G3 unit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0BRo7LfcmU

P.S. -- I actually have two identical units, purchased at the same time, that both have about the same amount of usage. Both of them are exhibiting the same behavior.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Wireless mic losing signal -- bad antenna on transmitter?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 01:49:48 AM »

I have a Sennheiser EW 100 G2 setup with a bodypack transmitter. In the past it has given excellent service, with surprisingly good range, capable of several hundred feet without problems.

This past weekend, however, I had a terrible time with it: frequent loss of signal. The receiver was only 75 feet from the transmitter. Holding the receiver above the audience helped somewhat; during a change in the program I was able to move the receiver closer to the transmitter (about 25' away) which prevented dropouts even though I could see that it was not receiving a strong signal.

I am suspecting that the antenna in the transmitter is faulty. I plan on calling Sennheiser support on the issue, but figured I'd post here to see what your experience is and if you think I'm on the right track.

I found this video describing the replacement of the antenna on either the G2 or G3 unit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0BRo7LfcmU

P.S. -- I actually have two identical units, purchased at the same time, that both have about the same amount of usage. Both of them are exhibiting the same behavior.

I'm obligated to ask about tuning/interference, etc....  I had a youth theater company that had fixed-freq transmitters that were purchased before the DTV realignment.  Pack #2 was my problem child.  With the receivers in the SL wing 1, so long as the actor's body wasn't between them and the transmitter, it was fine... when the actor faced SL, the interference from a new DTV assignment had a stronger signal...  Tuning was right smack in the middle of the 6mHz TV channel.

But the symptom of this was kind of like you describe, the more the bag of saltwater got between the TX & RX, the less usable AF we'd get.  That both transmitters do this, and simultaneously, makes me think you have some new RF in town.  Could be on-channel or intermod.

Hopefully Henry or Mac or Jason or Pete will provide more direct insight.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 01:59:43 AM »

I'm obligated to ask about tuning/interference, etc.... 

That both transmitters do this, and simultaneously, makes me think you have some new RF in town.  Could be on-channel or intermod.

This was in a rural area (about 30 miles as the bird flies from the nearest urban area), so not too much to interfere. Without the transmitter on, the receivers showed zero signal. Changing channels didn't make any difference in behavior. I didn't observe simultaneous drops with the two systems; only that both systems had problems -- though I will admit that the problem appeared about the same time for both. It wasn't just the sound dropping out; the RF meter on the receiver indicated loss of signal.

A colleague had been using them about a month ago in a different venue and experienced similar issues. At the time, we attributed it to other RF interference, as it was in a more urban environment.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 09:03:47 AM »

This was in a rural area (about 30 miles as the bird flies from the nearest urban area), so not too much to interfere. Without the transmitter on, the receivers showed zero signal. Changing channels didn't make any difference in behavior. I didn't observe simultaneous drops with the two systems; only that both systems had problems -- though I will admit that the problem appeared about the same time for both. It wasn't just the sound dropping out; the RF meter on the receiver indicated loss of signal.

A colleague had been using them about a month ago in a different venue and experienced similar issues. At the time, we attributed it to other RF interference, as it was in a more urban environment.
I'm certainly no wireless expert, but 30 miles is well within most TV transmitter's range.  Did you check the FCC database or do a scan?
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 09:40:24 AM »

Being an intermittent error a DTV station would not be the problem because they would be broadcasting 24 /7 ???   

I did have a similar problem when working a wedding in Farm country Wisconsin.   We saw a small private plane flying a grid pattern over the fields.  When the plane was over the transmitter and receivers we had the drop out on a VHF band. 

You might be seeing a moving Source of interference.   Truck / Plane ? 

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 09:57:49 AM »

Being an intermittent error a DTV station would not be the problem because they would be broadcasting 24 /7 ???   
Not necessarily. Do not assume - verify.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »

True on the verify.   

Here is the abstract from my problem. 

My frequency in use was 169.505.   

http://www.google.com/patents/US5467271

I also found this site that might be a good reference.
http://www.radioreference.com/

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:22:54 AM by Jerome Malsack »

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 04:10:18 PM »

I'm certainly no wireless expert, but 30 miles is well within most TV transmitter's range.  Did you check the FCC database or do a scan?
Haven't checked the FCC database yet. I've been meaning to do that but when I have the time I don't remember.  :P Also have been meaning to call Sennheiser, but keep forgetting to bring the units with me to work so I can call during my lunch hour (and what I assume would be their business hours).

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 01:19:00 AM »

Checked the database, and it seems I should have been in the clear. So I called Sennheiser, got a replacement antenna, and replaced it in one transmitter. Used it all weekend; it was rock-solid with no dropouts or other artifacts.

I had actually ordered two antennas as both of my units had problems, but one of the antennas was the wrong size. (Shorter, so I assume for a higher frequency range. They shipped the wrong part; I assume they just grabbed two out of a bin, but somehow one got in the wrong bin.) So I will have to call back in the morning and get that corrected. The antenna was inexpensive; only a few dollars.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 01:19:00 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.