ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Should this not be part of the whole operation?  (Read 10026 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Should this not be part of the whole operation?
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 11:43:27 PM »

Surely isn't this the same as leaving the FOH off until the musicians ASK for you to turn the front on? The monitors are part of the PA and like everything else should de roughed in from the very start without question. Then adjustments made appropriately…..
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Kidd

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 03:31:49 AM »

It may be different for large scale providers, but here in the Lab Lounge level where it's usually a quick set up club band, every sound guy should ask the band in advance what they want in their monitors. That should be standard practice. Only takes a second. It makes everything go smoother and will most likely get you started on the right foot with the band. We all know at the very least they will want vocals. From there just watch for hand signals.

Sitting back and saying "They didn't ask" is just playing games and being unprofessional. Should we just leave the monitors in the truck unless they ask for them?

As far as sound quality goes...well that's a bit subjective.

+1

Wow! Though I'm not at the level of some of the techs here that does not mean I should not operate my small business professionally. I treat every band as if they were my only customer. My job is to provide a quality system and to meet the needs of my customers. That includes monitors! I always make monitors my first priority. I have found when the artist are happy with stage sound and see you truly care about quality it makes FOH sound check a lot smoother. I go over bands wants and needs prior to event, so that I know my responsibilities. They should not have to ask. Does not sound like this guy will be in business long.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:54:03 AM by Bob Kidd »

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 04:32:31 AM »

Like Bob, I (almost) always get the monitor sound right first. I find this especially important for small groups such as a couple of acoustic guitars and singers as opposed to a full band.

Often in these cases, there is no FOH soundcheck. It's get the levels, set the monitors, make a best guess estimate of FOH levels and off you go.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 04:32:31 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.