ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator power problems  (Read 8471 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Generator power problems
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 09:46:09 AM »

A 5 amp draw on #12 wire will have a 5% (6 volt) drop at 345 feet which would leave you only 111 to 116 volts at you monitor position.

Did you check voltage there or only at distro?

That's a good point. Most wire gauge calculations are for 100 ft of run, so you'll have 3 times the voltage drop if you have 3 times the length of run. I've seen and measured that in a few instances, one of which was corrected by using a 10 gauge run  that happened to be in place for a 20-amp service. That reduced the voltage drop significantly and got the SSL console up and running again.

However, one would think that devices that are specifically designed to monitor and correct low-voltage conditions wouldn't crap out on the same low-voltage conditions. Digital consoles, yes... UPS boxes, no...

DavidTurner

Generator power problems
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 10:21:14 AM »

I 'll try to clarify:

3 racks - each containing Furman and Tripp Lite:
A. 6' from pd
B. 25' from pd
C. 300' from pd

B fails, A and C do not.

BTW the consoles in this case have universal power supplies and are hapy with 100 - 240v.  50 - 60hz
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:28:09 AM by DavidTurner »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 11:12:47 AM »

Possible wiring damage ??
Once had a case where power was split 4 ways backstage, from a 125K Genny.
Runs 1 and 2 were stage right/left
Run 3 was FOH
Run 4 was a stringer for concessions (Not my idea, I was there day 3 for 2nd opener - no say in anything)
Anyhoo, run #4 was fine on light loads. Someone plugged in a popcorn machine in the middle of the run, and we lost FOH power.
Well, down to 80 volts or so. Me and Lampey's UPS both start screaming for attention. Put my troubleshooter hat on, and as I am talking up and down the concession line, to see who has and doesn't, I see a tent spike pretty freakin close to the power trench. Sure nuf, they nicked the feeder. Under a light load there was no problem. No blown breakers, but all problems dissapeared after pulling the spike (with well insulated gloves and pliers)
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

DavidTurner

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 11:34:52 PM »

I suppose we will never know the answer to this riddle. Thank you all for your suggestions. It's all working four nights in a row now. I don't think I had any cable or equipment failure, I just think it was bad power.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 11:34:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.