ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A&H QU-16 vs QSC TouchMix 16  (Read 47382 times)

Darrell McCullough

Re: A&H QU-16 vs QSC TouchMix 16
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 09:47:48 PM »

I see that there are still some Studiolive 16.4.2's available, but it seems like an ideal size.. Why was it discontinued?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thomas Le

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 10:20:27 PM »

I see that there are still some Studiolive 16.4.2's available, but it seems like an ideal size.. Why was it discontinued?

Forum member Bob Cap had some SLives for sale.  Search the members for his posts or search the Marketplave for "mixers for sale".
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 07:34:57 AM »

It was replaced by the AI model. With the AI models you can connect a router directly to the board and don't need a computer.  If you don't plan on using the Ipad app it's  not a big deal and you can find some really good deals on the 16.4.2.

Steve Garris

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 05:08:16 PM »

Have you looked at or considered the Mackie DL1608?  I know of many bands & clubs using this board with great success.

16 real channels, 6 monitor outs, global reverb & delay all in a compact briefcase-like case . You would need an iPad and a router (no pc). I've been using mine for about 1.5 years now, sold my analog stuff.

You can download the app (Master Fader) for free to check it out.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 10:32:44 PM »

I would recommend an X32 Rack, or Producer with an iPad Mini and a iPad microphone clamp.

The Presonus is not a bad mixer, but turning around on stage to fiddle with a mixer is very cumbersome.  I have video of myself doing it back when I was using a MixWiz, so I can conclusively say that not only is it a clunky way to mix, but that using the iPad from directly in front of you is much better.

I also prefer the verbs in the X32 over those in the StudioLive series; however, I would point out that I haven't heard the AI version.

I struggled between the X32 Producer, Qu-16, and the X32 Rack.  My goals were to lighten the load out and load in, take up a minimal amount of room on stage, and be able to easily mix from an iPad clipped to my mic stand.

At the time I made my choice, the Qu-16 did not support an iPad app or DCA's which took it out of the running (it now has both, so you should consider this option as well IMHO).  In the end, it came down to size and weight.  The X32 Producer does have a full complement of motorized faders, but I had already decided that turning around to adjust things on the physical mixer wasn't working for me, so I went all in with a rack mixer.

One more item on the StudioLive.  Without motorized faders, if you do any adjustments from your tablet, those changes will not be reflected in the physical fader positions.  If you have any desire at all to control things from both a remote application and the physical interface, then I would highly recommend a digital mixer with motorized faders.

The Soundcraft Expression Si is also worth a look.

The X32 Rack will be your most powerful and least expensive option .... if you can give up a physical interface completely.  If not, then it is more of a toss up between the X32 Producer, Qu-16, and Expression Si.

To answer your question about the quality of Behringer X32 line mixers ..... The X32 family is the exception to the rule.  I have had many Behringer failures (small mixers, DI, etc) fail in my past, but the record of the X32 is really quite good.  The sound quality is excellent, and the features are outstanding.  Oh, my MIDI foot pedal "FCB1010" has also been a rock solid piece of gear as well.  Still, I generally stay clear of Behringer gear, but I can vouch for the quality and durability of the X32 products.  If you do a search, you will find that the X32 has a very solid record in the field.

Good luck in your decision!  It is a great time to be looking into a new digital mixer as options abound ;)

Peter Morris

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 05:01:01 AM »

Hey folks.. I am not in the pro audio field, but as a working musician, I would like to get some opinions on these two mixers. We are preparing to make the jump to a digital board, and these two (and possibly the PreSonus 16.4.2) are at the top of the list.

Pros/Cons of each? Really need to have at least 16 true mic inputs and at least 3 aux's for monitor sends.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

There are only really 2 to consider – Qu16 and X32 compact. The Qu16 is easy and simple to use. The X32 is more powerful, but not as simple to use.  If you are making adjustments on stage while you’re playing the Qu16 is probably your best option. If you have a competent sound engineer, probably the X32.

You can use these with the Qu http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/me-1/ or these with X32 http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/P16-M.aspx
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 05:22:05 AM by Peter Morris »

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 06:59:33 AM »

Pros/Cons of each? Really need to have at least 16 true mic inputs and at least 3 aux's for monitor sends.

Every mixer mentioned here fits this critieria. Depends what else you want it to do. Some, like the DL1608 have no way to add anything outboard. Maybe that matters to you, maybe it doesn't.  Some of these have subgroup capability. If I was plugging the same equipment into it every night, I'd want it to recall the pre-amp/gain settings.

If you think you're going to be mixing from an iPad mounted on a mic stand, I would download every app, mount your ipad on your mic stand and see which one seems easiest to use in the middle of a show. 

The Mackie has the biggest display for the faders but it's easy to forget whether you're looking at the FOH or one of the aux mixes. The Presonus allows you to view 12 faders at one time, while all the others only let you view 8.  The faders on the QU-16 app "seem" smoother to me than the others.

If you think you're going to be physically mixing on the control surface rather than the iPad I'd study them and determine which surface you think will be easier to find your way thru in a live situation. Download all the manuls for these and study them.

Unless someone has literally used every digital mixer they cannot really say that one will sound better than all the others, or should be ruled out or that it's emperically easier to use.  If you've already narrowed it down to the original two you asked about, ignore all the responses, including this one that mention other mixers.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 08:15:08 AM »

For the sake of simplicity, functionality, ease of use and sound quality I use a Soundcraft Expression 1 for my stage mix. I understand and agree with many of the comments above but speed, simplicity, reliability and sound quality are critical to this application. I am still a pro level player, and although my bus riding days are over when I chose digital I needed a board that would support an on stage mix, could be quickly reconfigured for mixing other acts, had to be reliable without question or thought, and had to be friendly enough so that almost anyone could properly use the board with very little training. The board also needed to expand easily, and all the Expressions will expand to 66 input channels. My choice today would still be the Expression.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Simon Hutson

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 08:35:25 AM »

Unless someone has literally used every digital mixer they cannot really say that one will sound better than all the others, or should be ruled out or that it's emperically easier to use.

I found this comparison of the Presonus, Soundcard, Behringer and Roland digital mixers helpful when narrowing down my choices.

http://youtu.be/zaK-yaGB0BA

Best regards, Simon

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 08:35:25 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.