ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace the whole woofer?  (Read 7294 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Replace the whole woofer?
« on: August 03, 2014, 08:01:15 PM »

Cheap little Behringer speakers, model B212XL. One of the pair sounds distorted. Pulled them front grill, I can hear the woofer rubbing when I push on the cone. Presumably the coil rubbing in the gap; can't see any other place that might be rubbing. Is there any alternative to simply replacing the whole woofer assembly? (model 12W200E8 printed on the driver label) Probably not expensive part, but perhaps worth asking.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Replace the whole woofer?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 08:07:43 PM »

Cheap little Behringer speakers, model B212XL. One of the pair sounds distorted. Pulled them front grill, I can hear the woofer rubbing when I push on the cone. Presumably the coil rubbing in the gap; can't see any other place that might be rubbing. Is there any alternative to simply replacing the whole woofer assembly? (model 12W200E8 printed on the driver label) Probably not expensive part, but perhaps worth asking.
It might could be reconed-but I bet it would be cheaper to just buy a new one.

It might could be as simple as a wire touching the back of the cone.  I would take it out of the cabinet to get a better look
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:08:09 PM »

It might could be reconed-but I bet it would be cheaper to just buy a new one.

It might could be as simple as a wire touching the back of the cone.  I would take it out of the cabinet to get a better look

Been there, done that. Nothing apparent rubbing behind the cone. Pretty certain this is the coil rubbing. I note that I hear the noise when I push one particular quadrant of the cone.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 11:11:26 PM »

Been there, done that. Nothing apparent rubbing behind the cone. Pretty certain this is the coil rubbing. I note that I hear the noise when I push one particular quadrant of the cone.

That might be a loose spider, and repairable without reconing.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »

Considering the product, a replacement Eminence would probably be cheaper than a recone. Obviously the potential for a change in performance may happen (better or worse), but my experience with Behringer speakers would lean towards "better".
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

George Dougherty

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 12:01:47 PM »

Considering the product, a replacement Eminence would probably be cheaper than a recone. Obviously the potential for a change in performance may happen (better or worse), but my experience with Behringer speakers would lean towards "better".

Being that it's a plastic cabinet, a straight driver swap could be problematic as it's very possible the bolt positions are not a direct match. The driver could be pulled and measured but I don't think I'd bother with replacement in one of these. The HF performance often is the limiting factor on overall performance and without replacing it and reworking the crossover you may only make a slight gain in sound quality and woofer durability.  Given its Behringer, the crossover may not take much more than the cab is rated for anyway.

There's only so much that can be done with a unit that costs $150 new...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 12:04:44 PM »

Being that it's a plastic cabinet, a straight driver swap could be problematic as it's very possible the bolt positions are not a direct match. The driver could be pulled and measured but I don't think I'd bother with replacement in one of these. The HF performance often is the limiting factor on overall performance and without replacing it and reworking the crossover you may only make a slight gain in sound quality and woofer durability.  Given its Behringer, the crossover may not take much more than the cab is rated for anyway.

There's only so much that can be done with a unit that costs $150 new...

It's also possible that the plastic box/facia IS the woofer basket, molded as one piece.  I've not been inside one of these units so I'm speculating, but I've seen this kind of construction across multiple entry level brands.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 12:08:21 PM »

Is there any alternative to simply replacing the whole woofer assembly? (model 12W200E8 printed on the driver label) Probably not expensive part, but perhaps worth asking.
There is not as far as I know, I have looked and have never been able to find recone kits for any of these Behringer drivers. My local dealer says the replacements aren't expensive though.. about $60.
In a pinch I have also substituted an Eminence Delta12LF for a 12w300A8 that somehow suffered a torn cone and it sounded and performed identical, this was in the B512DSP cabinet that is an SRM450 look alike.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 05:56:53 PM »

There is not as far as I know, I have looked and have never been able to find recone kits for any of these Behringer drivers. My local dealer says the replacements aren't expensive though.. about $60.
In a pinch I have also substituted an Eminence Delta12LF for a 12w300A8 that somehow suffered a torn cone and it sounded and performed identical, this was in the B512DSP cabinet that is an SRM450 look alike.

If the replacement driver costs $60, you're not saving yourself too much doing the repair on your own vs just replacing the box once you factor in the labor.  Heck, even with a blown driver, you could probably get a few bucks for the broken one and you're even further out ahead.
Brian Jojade

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »

Getting the runaround trying to replace the woofer.
One Behringer distributor says he won't carry speaker parts.
Another distributor says to call Behringer direct at this phone number, they'll give me the same price as they'd give him.
They guy at the phone number says I need to call somebody in California.
The guy in California doesn't answer the phone.
I just want a fucking replacement driver.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.