ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speakers Face Down?  (Read 11041 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Speakers Face Down?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 09:41:50 PM »

The worst was an article back in the 90s from the FOH guy with Blue Oyster Cult who was saying that you could flip the polarity of subs by reversing the hot and neutral of the AC power going into the amp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole article was about this and he even had drawings and photos of AC "flip boxes".

I wonder how many people are out telling people about this.  I REALLY wish I had a copy of the article.

Please tell me the article was in the Early April edition of the magazine.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

paul bell

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 01:16:04 AM »

The worst was an article back in the 90s from the FOH guy with Blue Oyster Cult who was saying that you could flip the polarity of subs by reversing the hot and neutral of the AC power going into the amp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gotta try that! ::)

One of my venues used to have EV MTL4 subs. One up, one down, one left one right. The top & bottom woffers sagged so far they were out of phase. After I had them all re-coned, I'd rotate them 90 degrees every two weeks. They thought I was nutz. HA!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 01:18:58 AM »

I gotta try that! ::)

One of my venues used to have EV MTL4 subs. One up, one down, one left one right. The top & bottom woffers sagged so far they were out of phase. After I had them all re-coned, I'd rotate them 90 degrees every two weeks. They thought I was nutz. HA!

Thank you for something else to obsess over.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 07:51:58 AM »

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.

Regards,

Bob

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 11:06:09 AM »

Thank you for something else to obsess over.

LOL - I guess the real question here is should we be worried about this today. I transport my speakers and my current band does same.. in vertical mode.. standing on the base.. same way as they would be used.

The question is does it matter with today's gear ?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 12:10:36 PM »

LOL - I guess the real question here is should we be worried about this today. I transport my speakers and my current band does same.. in vertical mode.. standing on the base.. same way as they would be used.

The question is does it matter with today's gear ?

I doubt it, at least at the level of pro gear.  Gravity eventually wins its battles, but whether or not that happens over the commercial life span of a current pro speakers is debatable.  Whatever compromises are involved in making entry level cheaper, I've no recent observations.

The comments about moving the EV MT4 sub speakers are correct; back when they were new technology there were owners doing that after a year or so.  Since they were square, I always thought it would be easier to rotate the box at setup, and in transportation/storage.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 12:36:20 PM »

The comments about moving the EV MT4 sub speakers are correct; back when they were new technology there were owners doing that after a year or so.  Since they were square, I always thought it would be easier to rotate the box at setup, and in transportation/storage.
Ya. "Back in the day", we put a velcro tag on the back-center-top of each one at strike time.
next setup, flip box 90 degrees, wire it up, put the tags in the rigging box.
man, the shit we used to do just to keep a rig alive....
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 12:36:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.