ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you say ...  (Read 8870 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: What do you say ...
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 09:16:14 PM »

Lots of him and he in these replies considering Craig already said she.  Does anyone bother to read all the posts? ;)

I don't, especially about subjects like this...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 10:06:53 PM »

[qsometir=John Roberts {JR} link=topic=150829.msg1383194#msg1383194 date=1407028574]
I don't, especially about subjects like this...

JR
[/quote]

A friend Will tell them what they need to hear, sometimes  not what they want to hear.  Behringer new is not better than quality used gear. The worst thing to do to a budding musician is put them with equipment that does not truly reproduce how they really sound.
 The x32 is the only  exception, but of course in that case they had to Buy a great manufacturer to build a decent product.
their other stuff is a crappy knock off of decent equipment they copy.

friends don't let friends drive Behringer
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 10:31:44 PM »

Yes, tell the friend that there are better options, some for the same money.  If they are a real friend, then you show/teach them how to get the best performance out of what they have, and why the higher quality stuff is really a better purchase. 
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 02:41:41 AM »

Ignore the gear.  It isn't all about the gear.  Help her drive her abilities forward on the kit available.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 04:19:43 AM »

And by the way. The much maligned EON is a more than capable powered box when used as intended.

It is indeed.  I used a couple for a charity gig a few weeks ago (with a Mackie VLZ 2404 mixer if anyone wants to laugh at some other cheap gear).  They worked fine.

Whilst I'm commenting here, I might as well comment on the Mackie.

I was expecting it to be terrible based on popular opinion but was happy to use it as it was a charity event and all of the equipment was borrowed (mainly from a local school).

In fact, I was impressed with the Mackie and would go as far to say that it could probably handle 90% of everything I have done over the last 30 years - and I would have loved something like that 30 years ago!

I can't comment on the build quality, particularly how that relates to robustness and reliability, but as a piece of equipment, it worked as expected and sounded fine.

Obvioulsy it would be nice if everyone could afford top of the range equipment, but the fact is that many can't and these lower end manufacturers produce equipment which gets the job done.  As long as you know their limitations and stick within them, the likes of Behringer, Mackie, etc. can be used effectively.

And it's wise to remember that everyone has to start somewhere and more often than not, this is with little or no budget.

There is no moral high ground in telling someone that their gear sucks.  The noble thing to do is help them out with advice about how to get the best out of what they have.

Steve.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:35:39 AM by Steve M Smith »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 04:44:52 AM »

It is indeed.  I used a couple for a charity gig a few weeks ago (with a Mackie VLZ 2404 mixer if anyone wants to laugh at some other cheap gear).  They worked fine.

Whilst I'm commenting here, I might as well comment on the Mackie.

I was expecting it to be terrible based on popular opinion but was happy to use it as it was a charity event and all of the equipment was borrowed (mainly from a local school).

In fact, I was impressed with the Mackie and would go as far to say that it could probably handle 90% of everything I have done over the last 30 years - and I would have loved something like that 30 years ago!

I can't comment on the build quality, particularly how that relates to robustness and reliability, but as a piece of equipment, it worked as expected and sounded fine.

Obvioulsy it would be nice if everyone could afford top of the range equipment, but the fact is that many can't and these lower end manufacturers produce equipment which gets the job done.  As long as you know their limitations and stick within them, the likes of Behringer, Mackie, etc. can be used effectively.

And it's wise to remember that everyone has to start somewhere and more often than not, this is with little or no budget.

There is no moral high ground in telling someone that their gear sucks.  The noble thing to do is help them out with advice about how to get the best out of what they have.

Steve.

I think a lot of this simply falls to "you gotta start somewhere."  The important thing is to not make multiple lateral moves as you expand/improve your inventory.  You can make the same mistakes and do the same acoustic/audio experiments on cheap gear or expensive gear, makes little difference.

Steve, your point about the Mackie whatevermodelitwas is well taken.  Even relatively "affordable" gear can give better/louder/lighter sound these days than comparable kit we were using 30 years ago.

It's a great time to be in audio. :)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 04:54:42 AM »

I think a lot of this simply falls to "you gotta start somewhere."  The important thing is to not make multiple lateral moves as you expand/improve your inventory.

That is a good point.  Once you have the funds to upgrade, it would be silly to go from bottom of the range Mackie to a slightly better Mackie when better manufaturers, even if second hand, are available for the same money.

Steve, your point about the Mackie whatevermodelitwas is well taken,

I think the fact that I remembered its model No. shows that I wasn't disappointed with it!

It's a great time to be in audio.

I think it is.  I have been out of it for a while and getting back into it, getting to grips with digital mixers.  Initially I was sceptical but now I'm a big fan.

Steve.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 08:10:09 AM »

What do you say when your friend goes out and buys a bunch of Behringer equipment and then asks you if it's good?

As someone who is trying to sell and replace all the Behringer stuff I bought trying to save money when I was getting started, I think she'll figure out on her own if it's working for her or not. I have friends who are full-time professional players who use Behringer speakers/power amps with a Soundcraft mixer for their small bar rig. They make them sound OK. 

Since it's already purchased why not just say "It will work for you for now( assuming it WILL work for now), but if you decide to upgrade I can help you find stuff that will sound even better."

At some point she's bound to ask you what she can do to sound better and that's your opportunity to say, "well you might want to consider getting better speakers/amps or whatever it is she bought."
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Sander Rooijens

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 10:05:57 AM »

A Mackie SR24.4 VLZ is not even remotely the worst mixer I've ever used. The original first version EON 15 is maybe not the worst speaker I've ever had to use but definitely very close. The smaller and newer versions aren't as bad. I've had good luck with some Behringer kit and still use some of it occasionally but I've had terrible luck with  several DEQ2496's, most unreliable pieces I've ever had. X32 is doing very well for me.

Thomas Le

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »

I've had some good luck with Behringer stuff, provided that I set my expectations low. The church I volunteer at uses their mics and speakers as monitors weekly for over 5+ years and they haven't quit yet. The only thing I don't like are their rack EQ's as they are very hissy, would rather stick a dbx 231 in its place if I was that tight on money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.