ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you use for a Router  (Read 15240 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: What do you use for a Router
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 07:17:49 PM »

Interesting...The expectation that the guy running sound for Joe's bar and grill has to have a grip on sonic concepts that require a background in quantitative analysis.  Yet a little deep dive into a technology you are relying on foe your show and it gets dismissed as intellectual exhibitionism.  All tech forums have a bit of that.

While we got into security I found it funny the PA provider had the SSID on a 3/4 in label.  Zoom in on the LS9

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2014, 09:34:15 PM »

Debbie,
Shape of the antenna does not indicate efficiency. Antenna's are cut in length for the frequency they are designed to work at and they are measured in wave length. What makes a difference is the receiver/transmitter, it's design and capabilities.

Thanks Bob…this thread got me thinking about that.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2014, 09:36:47 PM »

If you are using a Mac dig down thru your Library folder to the Core Services folder and find the Wireless Diagnostics app and make an alias to it someplace easy to get to.  Use the wifi scan function ( Utilities under the Window menu ) to find the least populated band in the wifi spectrum and reset the router to use that band with the Airport control application.

I'm on 10.7.5.  This is nowhere to be found.

Ryan Tolzmann

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2014, 12:22:19 AM »

thank you for your saying that, i wanted to, but didnt know how to without coming off as an A-hole. ha!

I have to agree with your point on security, i'm not doing anything on a large scale that I need absolute security on. in time, definitely maybe, but not right now.

i do appreciate all the information provided previously, and have read through it several times.  but the last 2 pages of the thread have definitely answered my original question more so than the first 2.

Once again the OP is lost in a blizzard of angels dancing on heads of pins. All useful stiff i'm sure but several levels above the original question.   

If the OP has higher aspirations than simply getting your laptop to talk to your mixer, say for networking mixers, amps and other show control elements then my suggestions are probably below the grade.

We have two Airport Extremes and two Airport Expresses.  They all work well to control Yamaha mixers now that we have implemented some basic procedures.  First is that all the wireless routers have the default passwords changed and new device names and passwords are created and labels with that info are on the bottom of the devices.  The Airport express units are set to bridging mode as they have a single ethernet port. 
The Apple units are used because the Expresses are small and because they all rely on the Apple provided software for control rather than a browser interface.  A bit of security by obscurity but it raises the bar at least slightly.  If you are using a Mac dig down thru your Library folder to the Core Services folder and find the Wireless Diagnostics app and make an alias to it someplace easy to get to.  Use the wifi scan function ( Utilities under the Window menu ) to find the least populated band in the wifi spectrum and reset the router to use that band with the Airport control application.  Five Gigahertz is often less crowded than 2.4 but not always, the wifi scan will tell what the environment is at load in.  Run that same scan half an hour after doors and its a new ballgame.  Put the wifi router up high, well above head height. A speaker stand with a plastic shelf top works fine in fact  thats exactly what IT vendors to large conventions and corporate events use for their WAP antennas.  None of this is bullet proof in the face of thousands of smart phone totting audience members but it will improve your chances.

The concern raised so often about someone hacking into a show control network is a bit overblown I think for the average user.  If I were Disney and moving scenery with wifi control I'm sure I'd see it differently but at the moment I'm good with talking to a a CL5 or an LS9 from 100 ft away.
Ryan Tolzmann
Freelance Audio Engineer

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2014, 03:24:33 PM »

I'm on 10.7.5.  This is nowhere to be found.

Under 10.10 (beta) Spotlight finds the Wireless Diagnostics app. Spotlight is your friend :)
Mark McFarlane

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2014, 04:46:05 PM »

Under 10.10 (beta) Spotlight finds the Wireless Diagnostics app. Spotlight is your friend :)
Well it seems I'm not the only one on here running 10.10 beta. :-)  Spotlight is pretty much the only way I run the apps I have that don't live in the dock. Command+Space and type the name; works great and is faster than launchpad.

Mark, how is 10.10 running for you? I know on my old '09 13in MBP it doesn't run as good as 10.9.x. I'm reserving judgment till the final version though; if it doesn't improve I'll probably drop back to 10.9.

On a side note Studio Manager with an LS9 works fine on it. I am having a couple of minor issues with other apps I use though.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2014, 11:56:23 PM »

10.10 has been working OK for me. I had a problem with Time Machine not being able to browse backups, I never tried to determine the root cause, may have been corrupted backups, and Dante Controller doesn't seem to work (Audinate is working on it, it was actually very nice to see Audinate have mention of 10.10 on their home page), but DVS seems to work fine during a little bit of testing so I could record through Dante. GLD edit seems to work fine.  10.10 feels a little more sluggish for me on my 8GB 2009 17"MacBook Pro and it appears to consume a bit more memory.  Parallels starts up but I haven't used it.  FWIW, performance on betas is not definitive of the released product.
Mark McFarlane

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2014, 02:13:10 AM »

10.10 has been working OK for me. I had a problem with Time Machine not being able to browse backups, I never tried to determine the root cause, may have been corrupted backups, and Dante Controller doesn't seem to work (Audinate is working on it, it was actually very nice to see Audinate have mention of 10.10 on their home page), but DVS seems to work fine during a little bit of testing so I could record through Dante. GLD edit seems to work fine.  10.10 feels a little more sluggish for me on my 8GB 2009 17"MacBook Pro and it appears to consume a bit more memory.  Parallels starts up but I haven't used it.  FWIW, performance on betas is not definitive of the released product.
Yeah, I figure the performance will improve with updates and the final release. I've been using Parallels with a Win8 VM on a regular basis with it just fine since installing. It's been very stable, no weird crashes or anything(I am typically using my laptop for 6+ hours a day, a lot of that with the computer working hard). The biggest complaint about my laptop is the crappy graphics card... It gets pretty laggy just driving a second monitor and the fancy new animations in 10.10 don't help.

Edit: I'll check my Time Machine drive and see if I have that issue too.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2014, 11:20:43 AM »

I'm using 10.10 as well, and have found it to be a bit sluggish overall.  Hopefully we'll see improvements.  Also have had it completely lock up and get out of memory errors a few times.  It's still obviously beta.
Brian Jojade

Jon Arrigo

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2014, 08:35:15 PM »

And access point is a good call , Cisco is a great brand they can be costly though , but well worth the investment . Get the A-G-N model plus wifi and you will get the best results . We run both our lake and midas console off the same one . No issues at all. The wireless is flawless no drop outs . Good luck

Jon

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2014, 08:35:15 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.