ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: video projector lumens  (Read 4955 times)

Bill Beach

video projector lumens
« on: August 01, 2014, 12:53:09 PM »

we are wanting to change our single projector in the middle of stage to 2 projectors on each side of the stage.  our stage is a bit convex in configuration, so where the 2 projectors would shine is 'on' a wall that is angled into the area.  the single projector we have is 4500 lumens.  Pastor (budget-wise) is wondering if the 2 new projectors were fewer lumens, but closer to the screen (we're about 10 feet now) would that be a noticeable change?  personally, seems to me closer wouldn't make any difference (or very minimal)  I think he is looking at maybe 3000 lumen projectors.  we do have plenty of light on stage and the current 4500 seems adequate (for me it could be better, but that's me)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: video projector lumens
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 01:02:58 PM »

we are wanting to change our single projector in the middle of stage to 2 projectors on each side of the stage.  our stage is a bit convex in configuration, so where the 2 projectors would shine is 'on' a wall that is angled into the area.  the single projector we have is 4500 lumens.  Pastor (budget-wise) is wondering if the 2 new projectors were fewer lumens, but closer to the screen (we're about 10 feet now) would that be a noticeable change?  personally, seems to me closer wouldn't make any difference (or very minimal)  I think he is looking at maybe 3000 lumen projectors.  we do have plenty of light on stage and the current 4500 seems adequate (for me it could be better, but that's me)

It all depends on how much ambient light you have in the room and if you have control over it. The more ambient light you have you will usually need a projector with higher lumens.

Do you have video screens or are you projecting on a wall?

Bill Beach

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 01:33:01 PM »

[/quote]
we will be using video screens.
there is a fair amount of light as we also video the service.  we do have control and when we make the change will be adjusting the position of lights to keep as much light off the screens as possible.  (similar to what we have done for the existing center front projector)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 02:11:13 PM »

The brightness required (number of lumens) has very little to do with throw distance, but rather the size of the projected image, and as Jamin said, the ambient light you are competing against.  If you're going from one screen to two screens of the same size, you will need two projectors of the same brightness, no matter the throw distance between the projector and the screen.  While there are slight differences in the efficiency of a given lens at different points in its zoom range, that difference is very small.  It is possible that a given long-throw lens may be darker than a different short-throw lens, but that is a function of lens design, not basic physics.

If you are trying to save money and have some flexibility in mounting, putting the projectors close enough to the screens so that you can use a standard non-interchangeable lens projector (projection distance would generally be in the range of the diagonal of the projected image) would save a huge amount of money.

4500 lumen projectors are now in the sweet spot financially.  I just purchased a 1280x800 Panasonic 4800 lumen projector for I think $1250 and it looks great.  I can't imagine skimping on a cheaper projector than that.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 03:11:25 PM »

we will be using video screens.
there is a fair amount of light as we also video the service.  we do have control and when we make the change will be adjusting the position of lights to keep as much light off the screens as possible.  (similar to what we have done for the existing center front projector)

A good quality screen will make a big difference in picture quality. The "viewing angle" of the screen is important to consider. If your audience is "wide" you will need a screen with a wider viewing angle. But keep in mind, the wider the viewing angle the lower the "output" or "Goniophotometer" of the screen. Try to get a screen with 1.0 or higher.

Distance typically doesn't have a big effect on "lux" or the brightness. I think closer at a higher angle is better. Because you can usually stand closer to the screen without casting a shadow as opposed to a projector that is far and lower. (provided your projector is able to keystone that much)

It's important to have both projectors be the same make and model. That's about the only way to insure the picture will look the same. Different model projectors even at the same lumens is very difficult to get the picture to look the same on each screen.

What type signal are you running to your projectors? HDMI or something else?

Bill Beach

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 03:19:07 PM »

[/quote]
we run SVGA

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 03:28:19 PM »

we run SVGA

I mean, what type of cabling are you running from your video source to the projectors? HDMI cables, VGA cables or something else? Do you know the approx distance of the cables?

10ft from the screen is already pretty close. Typically the closer you are the lower the projector has to be to prevent "google eye" at the bottom of the screen. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 03:38:02 PM by Jamin Lynch »

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 09:23:04 PM »

All the other posters saying "it totally depends on your room" are 100% correct.  All I'll add is that if you're using an interchangeable lens projector you need to see what effect the lens you're looking at has on output.  I was looking at a .4 lens last week (a very cool piece) but it significantly reduces the lumen output of the projector.  Also, if you use a 4:3 projector for a 16:9 image you'll end up with less output than rated for.

Lastly, projectors are hugely important in the modern church world.  They provide a major handrail for helping people connect to God through worship and depending on the pastor you have or if you're doing IMAG they are very important for the teaching as well.  As such, DON'T SKIMP!!!!!  I always tell my clients we need to live by 3 rules in buying equipment.

#1 it needs to support the mission and the vision of the church.  If you can't draw it back to that then scrap the project.
#2 Buy once, cry once.  Otherwise you end up spending 3x as much money in the long run (3x only if you're lucky)
#3 The wrong tool for the right price is still the wrong tool.  That on-sale handycam at best-buy is NO GOOD for IMAG!

I also have a 4th one for myself.  Don't buy anything you're not going to be really happy with. 

Bill Beach

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 01:09:59 AM »

I mean, what type of cabling are you running from your video source to the projectors? HDMI cables, VGA cables or something else? Do you know the approx distance of the cables?

we use VGA cables - from about 80 feet to almost 120 each
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 01:18:50 AM by Bill Beach »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 01:09:59 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.