ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QU16 save setting question  (Read 5768 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
QU16 save setting question
« on: July 31, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »

Hey all you QU16 peeps out there -

I need to save an unusual PEQ setting for a vocal for just one song. Is there a way to do this without having to make the adjustments on the fly or use 2 channels for the 1 mic??
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: QU16 save setting question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 03:44:28 PM »

DD...

I think section 6.5 of the manual on page 22 covers what you describe. Processing library?

DR
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:06:23 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 06:38:38 PM »

DD...

I think section 6.5 of the manual on page 22 covers what you describe. Processing library?

DR

Thanks Dick , I can't understand how I kept missing that. I didn't think I could access and save PEQ settings….
I am trying to emulate a megaphone and the only way I have ever been able to get a 'passable' faux sound on analog equipment is by creating a crazy volcano shape on the PEQ upper mid and overdriving the signal. When I try to overdrive one channel a little on the QU16, I get pops and bangs so don't think I'll be doing that. Other than buying a megaphone (duh)….what else do you think I can do??
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 06:45:08 PM »

Look up the bandwidth for telephones of the 1920's or so.  Should be a fairly quick Google/Wiki search.

You can also try using a phaser in the FX.

DR

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 08:14:30 PM »

what else do you think I can do??
Megaphone/bullhorn is $14.99 at radio shack. Just make sure not to point it straight into the mic, but off to the side a little, otherwise it's feedback city. This is what I have always done to acheive the desired effect and it works like a charm. If that's not practical then yes, just go with the eq library and maybe some kind of overdrive patched into an aux send and brought back into a channel.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:22:13 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions….

As much as I am tempted to use an actual megaphone, Im not sure it would look the part on stage really so I'm left with creating the effect myself.

Ive been messing around with distortion and phaser (as per Dick) , along with the extreme mid setting on the PEQ and some reverb and it sounds quite close really. As its not for recording I'm not too worried. It will pass for live work.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:48:08 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions….

As much as I am tempted to use an actual megaphone, Im not sure it would look the part on stage really so I'm left with creating the effect myself.

Ive been messing around with distortion and phaser (as per Dick) , along with the extreme mid setting on the PEQ and some reverb and it sounds quite close really. As its not for recording I'm not too worried. It will pass for live work.

Did you set up low and high shelving filters on the PEQ?  I'd roll the low filter up around 350 and the high down to 5K or lower, but you should probably just set them by ear and let the numbers end up where they will.  Keep the dry part of the fx fairly low as well.

I'll pliay with the board this weekend and see what I can come up with.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 10:57:51 PM »

Did you set up low and high shelving filters on the PEQ?  I'd roll the low filter up around 350 and the high down to 5K or lower, but you should probably just set them by ear and let the numbers end up where they will.  Keep the dry part of the fx fairly low as well.

I'll pliay with the board this weekend and see what I can come up with.

Yes I played with it quite a bit and just swept the frequencies to where it simply sounded best - shelving low and high. I think I'll end up with less of an effect than I'd get with a real megaphone and it certainly won't sound the same but I don't want it to be too much - more of a suggestion. Let me know what you come up with Dick -I'd be interested to know your thoughts...

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 11:10:05 PM »

I just found an article on telephone bandwidth and they say the HF rolls off around 3.2K for local service and as low as 2.7K for long distance.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 08:38:17 AM »

I used to do the same effect on the board. A bit of vocal plate reverb helps as well.

I have since added a copper phone microphone to the collection to do that sound directly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 08:38:17 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.